The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Still positive ahead of this Saturday. If Wales are to win it you'd be looking at them having to beat Italy by 40 odd points. England and France 'should' be tight also. Jeez England blew some chances on Saturday. That Luther Burrell is clueless. The Scots won't be easy but if we get it right I fancy us by 15+. As mentioned it will dampen the RWC hype. I'd be more worried if we weren't creating the chances. Must say POC was immense on Saturday.

Any potential changes ahead of Saturday? Cronin, Henderson, Fitzgerald /Earls worth a look?

rrhf

Id like him to bring back Darcy

Estimator

Ireland have played 30+ mins against teams with players in the bin in this years 6nations:
10mins against Italy
10mins against France
12mins (approx) against Wales

In that time they only managed two tries, both against a weakening Italian side.
This actually represents half of our try total and one of those was a penalty try.
If they are to put a decent target for England to chase something dramatic needs to happen against Scotland.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Applesisapples

Not a knowledgeable Rugby person, but I have watched quite a lot of rugby both club and international. When I saw that Barnes was the ref I feared the worst. He seems to set against one team or the other at some early stage in a match regarding the breakdown and that colours his decisions for the rest of the day. Wales continuously got away with being of their feet, Ireland didn't and the Welsh in the second was a product of that. Having said all of that I think Wales were better on the day but Ireland should have stolen it.

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 18, 2015, 11:56:56 AM
Not a knowledgeable Rugby person, but I have watched quite a lot of rugby both club and international. When I saw that Barnes was the ref I feared the worst. He seems to set against one team or the other at some early stage in a match regarding the breakdown and that colours his decisions for the rest of the day. Wales continuously got away with being of their feet, Ireland didn't and the Welsh in the second was a product of that. Having said all of that I think Wales were better on the day but Ireland should have stolen it.

http://www.rugbypigs.com/rugby-news/six-nations/is-wayne-barnes-a-cheat-watch-video/

Cheat is a bit much, incompetent & inconsistent definitely.
MWWSI 2017

CiKe

Quote from: muppet on March 18, 2015, 02:26:39 PM

http://www.rugbypigs.com/rugby-news/six-nations/is-wayne-barnes-a-cheat-watch-video/

Didn't see the game. Not sure about a couple of the scrums but the rest seemed a bit dodgy to say the least. Did Ireland get away with anything at all?

muppet

Quote from: CiKe on March 18, 2015, 02:55:47 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 18, 2015, 02:26:39 PM

Didn't see the game. Not sure about a couple of the scrums but the rest seemed a bit dodgy to say the least. Did Ireland get away with anything at all?

I should point out I didn't see the game either.
MWWSI 2017

Walter Cronc

The penalty count was 12-11 with Ireland penalised more.

Barnes was a joke but the chances we had and blew werent down to him.

Need a big response this Staurday.

seafoid

6N standard doesn't seem to be great or do ye think it'll be up to the Southern Hemisphere level by the time the RWC comes along ?

Walter Cronc

You would still have NZ and SA as the favourites but the last few World Cups (England 03, SA 07 & NZ 11) have been won not by playing expansive rugby but basically a 10 man game.

If England can improve their finishing they'll be hard to deal with at home where they rarely lose.

trileacman

That video, like so much of rugby coverage this tear is completely OTT. Alot of those Welsh incidents in the early segment are completely legal, the creator clearly hasn't a clue of the rules to think that a penalty for "going off your feet" is a penalty for going of your feet. It's not, it's about clearing out rucks and killing the competition at the breakdown, most of those welsh players go off their feet whilst competing against an Irish player, which is legal enough if you go about it in a way that makes you look like you tried.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

screenexile

Healy and Fitzgerald in. Haven't seen much of Fitzgerald this season is he back in decent form?

Cronin bound to feel hard done by he's not getting a shout this week he was immense last week when he appeared but I have no doubt he will make another impact from the bench and himself and Henderson may even appear earlier if we haven't a decent points total coming up on 50 minutes!

AZOffaly

Is Zebo injured? I didn't see the game on Saturday, so maybe he had a stinker. If not it seems harsh in a game plan which appears to be based on kick chase. He's decent at that.

screenexile

I was thinking he must be as he's out of the 23 entirely but looking at the different news outlets there is no mention of an injury!!

Walter Cronc

Joe has a habit of this. Dropping players entirely out of the 23. Surely it cant be good for a players confidence. Zebo was no worse than anyone else on Saturday. Fitzgerald is in form though.

Felix Jones...why Joe. Whyyyyyy!!!