The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 02, 2015, 10:55:30 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 02, 2015, 04:32:26 PM
As Liam Toland says 'Haskell looks better with his top off than on'...

He's a compete meat head who took up rugby.
He is a total bellend but your comment makes it sound as if he took up rugby based on his size. He has played since P1 at which stage I'm pretty sure he wasn't 6'4" and 17 stone.

I didn't quite mean like that now but I'd say he progressed through the ranks at underage due to his size rather than skill. The English game (bosh premiership)is tailored to suit players like that.

Don't agree with LB regarding Ford. He's only 21 remember and its very difficult for a 10 to get into the game behind a retreating pack. Ireland led the English pack on a merry dance which gave them no platform. He did make an error with the drop goal however.

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on March 02, 2015, 10:16:40 PM
Quote from: Franko on March 02, 2015, 07:55:36 PM
Nope, your point was very specific. Stop trying to weasel out of it.

And I said what I said on the Ched Evans thread and I stand over it. There's plenty who agreed with me. Is it relevant to this discussion at all?  Why do you keep bringing it up?  Another obsession perhaps?

I'm not weaseling out of anything - the primary reason a lot of people dislike Keane or McGregor, in my opinion, is the fact they are mouthy and obnoxious, even though they did and do back up everything they say in their respective arenas, even if McGregor has a long way to go before he becomes the superstar he believed himself to be. I do not believe the same can be said of McIlroy as it is my view that he always comes across as respectful and humble. Therefore I struggle to find the reason so many dislike him, with an obvious possibility the fact that he's not taigy enough for many on here. That may well be wrong, but at least attempt to offer a contrary suggestion as opposed to "go look in that other thread".

Of course the fact you condone rape isn't relevant, but as you tried to get a wee dig in, I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

There's a lot if ifs buts and maybes in that first paragraph.  You've obviously realised you were talking shite and are on the reverse.

I didn't put up the reasons I disliked McIlroy here for two reasons.
1. Because I didn't want to derail the thread even further than you already had.
2. I had already stated my reasons on another thread (which incidentally you both quoted and replied to, so are fully aware of).

But I tell you what, if you can put up the quote where I said I condoned rape, I'll put up all the reasons you want.  When you can't, I'll just assume that, yet again, you've been caught out talking balls and have been forced to take that humiliating crawl back into your hole again.

Fair enough?

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/things-finally-coming-to-a-head-in-concussion-debate-1.2111724

"Brian O'Driscoll gave a talk at the College of Surgeons last year. Before I could, somebody asked him the question: what's going to happen to the physicality?
" 'I don't know,' he replied. "They are all dodging the question. It's a gladiator sport.
Next was confirmation that Cardiff flanker Rory Watts-Jones has retired from professional rugby on "concussion-related grounds".

Next was an email from Bloxham PR revealing "Nutrition X" is entering the Ireland and Northern Ireland market, having previously been the official supplier of supplements for Munster Rugby. "Brand ambassador can be provided upon request."

"Anyone who has spent an hour picking skull fragments out of the contused frontal lobes of a teenage rugby player is entitled to an opinion on the safety of youth rugby. As a paediatric neurosurgeon, I've done this on several occasions. As a 'rugby parent', I've observed the school and club game at close quarters, from both sides of the touchline. What I've seen and heard suggests that our thinking on the subject may not be altogether rational.""

New to the rugby market

http://www.nutritionx.co.uk/creatine-monohydrate-524-p.asp

"Creatine Monohydrate is formed in the human body from the amino acids arginine, glycine and methionine. Certain foods such as beef and oily fish contain creatine monohydrate, however the quantities a person would have to digest for the desired amounts would not be practical.
In short duration explosive sports such as sprinting, weight lifting and rugby ATP (Adenosine tri-phosphate) is the energy system used. When ATP is depleted it uses your body's creatine phosphate reserves to produce more ATP energy. Supplementing with creatine monohydrate increases your bodies pool of creatine allowing more ATP to be formed, resulting in more work being performed."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/neil-francis-the-french-bench-was-just-freakish-in-size-uini-atonio-is-big-enough-to-have-his-own-post-code-31011167.html

"I could not comprehend how big the Toulon pack was when they won their first Heineken Cup in 2013 in Dublin. Bakkies Botha, Danie Roussow, Carl Haymen and Andrew Sheridan were in the sponsors' room standing around like Redwoods unaware of their sheer physical size while people gawped in slack-jawed amazement.
The biggest and most powerful mercenaries that money could buy. Power and size win cups evidently The human race is constantly evolving but international forwards are constantly coming in ahead of the average.
The first point that has to be made is that it is difficult to convey just how strong these men are, how quickly they can move and how devastating the blunt force trauma is when they tackle you.
In the current concussion debate, size and power are always the prime factors. The problem about size is that you can't legislate or regulate it. Soon there will be no forward under 110kgs at Test level and they will pound each other into submission and if you thought last Saturday's Test match was boring, wait until Goliath's younger brother arrives on the scene in five or 10 years' time."

gallsman

I count one "but". If you're referring to the fact that I stated my belief or opinion a few times, do try to remember that this is a discussion board. If you want to refute or discredit it, post evidence to the contrary. My initial post on the matter in this thread, long after the derailing had begun, was again an opinion. Then you barged in with your bluster  filled, faux-insulted "can't let you get away with that" line in an attempt to introduce some needle into the whole thing.

As being able to quote your stance on supporting Ched Evans, defending his actions and therefore condoning rape, given that you know the thread has been binned, you know full well I can't do that. Regardless, your "I stand by my comments" line offers a modicum of insight into what your views on the matter were/are, given the accusations levelled.

Anyway, enough of this. PM if you want about it and we'll get back to talking rugby here.

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on March 03, 2015, 09:34:39 AM
I count one "but". If you're referring to the fact that I stated my belief or opinion a few times, do try to remember that this is a discussion board. If you want to refute or discredit it, post evidence to the contrary.

You made the initial claim and presented it, not as your opinion, but as fact - I'm afraid it's up to you to produce the evidence.

My initial post on the matter in this thread, long after the derailing had begun, was again an opinion. Then you barged in with your bluster  filled, faux-insulted "can't let you get away with that" line in an attempt to introduce some needle into the whole thing.

I made no attempt to introduce 'needle'.  You said that anyone who didn't like McIlroy did so for secatarian reasons.  I called you on your bullshit.

As being able to quote your stance on supporting Ched Evans, defending his actions and therefore condoning rape, given that you know the thread has been binned, you know full well I can't do that. Regardless, your "I stand by my comments" line offers a modicum of insight into what your views on the matter were/are, given the accusations levelled.

You can't - I thought so.

For the benefit of everyone else, at no stage did I condone rape or even infer that I condoned it.

Anyway, enough of this. PM if you want about it and we'll get back to talking rugby here.

No chance.  you can't spout "bluster filled, faux-insulted" remarks like that in public and then expect me not to defend myself publicly.  You made a very serious accusation, about a very serious topic and you did so in a flippant manner to try and get a dig in at me.  You have done this in the past in another unrelated thread.  By these actions, I would say it is you who is trivialising the subject matter.

In fact, if you continue this vendetta I ask that you meet me in person to discuss this.  I don't take an accusation like that lightly - especially from someone trying to act the big man on an anonymous internet forum.

Walter Cronc

Lads come on. This is a rugby thread.

Franko

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 03, 2015, 11:02:07 AM

Apologies - but I can't that sort of shite slide.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on March 03, 2015, 11:06:34 AM

So where does it end? Will you end up meeting all the people that you have said you dislike and have it out with them?

Should up another thread (where's Tony when ya need him) The, lets iron things out thread
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 03, 2015, 11:17:21 AM
Quote from: Franko on March 03, 2015, 11:06:34 AM

So where does it end? Will you end up meeting all the people that you have said you dislike and have it out with them?

Should up another thread (where's Tony when ya need him) The, lets iron things out thread

Don't be ridiculous.

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/robbie-henshaw-at-connacht-till-2016-despite-growing-interest-1.2123550

Robbie Henshaw, it has already been confirmed, will see out his current Connacht contract that runs until the summer of 2016. Then it gets very interesting as Leinster, Munster and, after Sunday's try and 13 tackles in victory over England, several European clubs will be seeking his signature.

"It's already been made clear in statements: Robbie is there for the duration of his contract with Connacht," said IRFU chief executive Philip Browne in response to speculation that he might break with normal contractual protocol by moving to Dublin or Limerick/Cork next season.

"I think it is the right thing; he is getting great experience down there. He is in a group that he is familiar with and he is first choice in his position. He has obviously come on leaps and bounds as a player.

"As a person he has a great personality. It is going to be very interesting to see how Robbie progresses over the next number of years."

By the start of the 2016/17 season Henshaw could be in the rarefied company of Jonathan Sexton and Jamie Heaslip in that his central national contract will be topped up by private investment.

gallsman

Quote from: Franko on March 03, 2015, 10:36:15 AM
Quote from: gallsman on March 03, 2015, 09:34:39 AM
I count one "but". If you're referring to the fact that I stated my belief or opinion a few times, do try to remember that this is a discussion board. If you want to refute or discredit it, post evidence to the contrary.

You made the initial claim and presented it, not as your opinion, but as fact - I'm afraid it's up to you to produce the evidence.

My initial post on the matter in this thread, long after the derailing had begun, was again an opinion. Then you barged in with your bluster  filled, faux-insulted "can't let you get away with that" line in an attempt to introduce some needle into the whole thing.

I made no attempt to introduce 'needle'.  You said that anyone who didn't like McIlroy did so for secatarian reasons.  I called you on your bullshit.

You can't - I thought so.

For the benefit of everyone else, at no stage did I condone rape or even infer that I condoned it.

No chance.  you can't spout "bluster filled, faux-insulted" remarks like that in public and then expect me not to defend myself publicly.  You made a very serious accusation, about a very serious topic and you did so in a flippant manner to try and get a dig in at me.  You have done this in the past in another unrelated thread.  By these actions, I would say it is you who is trivialising the subject matter.

In fact, if you continue this vendetta I ask that you meet me in person to discuss this.  I don't take an accusation like that lightly - especially from someone trying to act the big man on an anonymous internet forum.

a) no I didn't - you're the one who made it personal. I made no specific reference to you or anyone else. You however, directly commented on my position.

b) no I didn't - see a) above

c) semantics - the fact posts where you defended Evans and his actions have been delete from this forum does not mean you did not post them

d) I'm not trivialising anything - I'm expressing my continued contempt for the position you held on that topic, a lens through which I now view all subsequent posts of yours.

e) as mentioned, don't be ridiculous. You're the one who follows my posts around like a bad smell. "Vendetta" might be a bit of an extreme word for it, but whatever "it" is, it's you who has it.

Hardy

As a person he has a great personality.

OK. What's he like as a Nissan Almera?

Hardy

Frankie - you win, OK?
Gallsman - you win, OK?

Can you stop now?

The rest of us are not even reading what you're arguing about.

screenexile

Quote from: Hardy on March 03, 2015, 02:35:43 PM
Frankie - you win, OK?
Gallsman - you win, OK?

Can you stop now?

The rest of us are not even reading what you're arguing about.

I know... it got boring a long time ago. Use messenger or something to get it sorted!

I know nothing about scrums but your man @ sportsjoe.ie seems to know what he's on about. Very educational stuff about how Ireland are performing in that area if you're interested:

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/ireland-england-six-nations-scrum-analysis-2/15744