The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

The few tackles l saw Basterau and another French lad, the forearm and elbow were prominent in and around the head area of the tackler, now that's no hand off, not sure how the rules work, but that needs stamped out.

Good win without actually playing well.

Tony Baloney

What a bit of crying. The modern skillset around the breakdown is different from the game of old but it doesn't make it a bad game.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 14, 2015, 10:52:49 PM
What a bit of crying. The modern skillset around the breakdown is different from the game of old but it doesn't make it a bad game.
I'm not talking about the breakdown, I'm talking about the back line moves and tackling. It's straight line collision seeking, and it's very predictable. Unbelievably tough and difficult to play I'd imagine, but not exactly great to watch.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 15, 2015, 12:00:03 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 14, 2015, 10:52:49 PM
I'm not talking about the breakdown, I'm talking about the back line moves and tackling. It's straight line collision seeking, and it's very predictable. Unbelievably tough and difficult to play I'd imagine, but not exactly great to watch.
Granted the 'short pass, head down and charge 3 yards into the man in front of you' tactics aren't a thing of beauty but the chipping away sometimes leads to something profitable.

seafoid

Quote from: trileacman on February 14, 2015, 09:18:08 PM
First Ireland 6 nations game I stopped watching in about 10 years. Rugby has become awful muck. The decline of the French flair and Toulouse is a sad indictment of their game. The 2007 WC was the beginning of the end and the rules enacted after were counter-productive to protect rugby. This has lead to the rise of the "Gatland" tactics, fill the pitch with big men and smash early and often. He's only getting beaten now because everyone is at it. Face it lads, rugby is a sport going backwards.
Money has changed the game in france just like it did in soccer in england and the national team suffers.
And tackling with the head is despicable.

Bring back Serge Blanco

AZOffaly

Have you seen serge Blanco. Another example of the huge increases in bulk of the modern game.

Sidney

There was one creative play in the whole match and that didn't happen for 70 minutes. Everything else was just bash, bash, bash. If you like that, fine, but WWE wrestling does it better, is quicker and is more exciting.

The game yet again showed yesterday it has a serious discipline problem. Players' heads are targeted with a clear aim to inflict head injury. And that knee to the back of Heaslip was pure filth and should have been a straight red card.

Rugby needs to take a leaf out of soccer's book, which has a far greater culture of respect in terms of discipline.

AZOffaly

You were doing so well until that last sentence  :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sidney on February 15, 2015, 09:24:04 AM
There was one creative play in the whole match and that didn't happen for 70 minutes. Everything else was just bash, bash, bash. If you like that, fine, but WWE wrestling does it better, is quicker and is more exciting.

The game yet again showed yesterday it has a serious discipline problem. Players' heads are targeted with a clear aim to inflict head injury. And that knee to the back of Heaslip was pure filth and should have been a straight red card.

Rugby needs to take a leaf out of soccer's book, which has a far greater culture of respect in terms of discipline.

Simples, don't watch it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sidney

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 15, 2015, 09:40:21 AM
On the contrary, I'm entirely correct.

Association football does have a far greater culture of respect.

Deliberately inflicting injury is an integral part of rugby. It isn't in association football.

imtommygunn

So take the everton - chelsea game the other night and an incident in the last 5 minutes...

Gareth Barry kicks a chelsea player when he's rounded. An opposing player comes up to the referee waving an imaginary card in his face to get Barry booked. Meanwhile James McCarthy runs in to belittle the chelsea guy and Ivanovic proceeds to get him in a bearhug, headbutt him and put a forearm in his face all the while John Terry is showing entire disrespect for the referee and trying to make the decision for him.

Respect? I think not.

trileacman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 15, 2015, 09:51:34 AM
Quote from: Sidney on February 15, 2015, 09:24:04 AM

Simples, don't watch it

People will.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

yellowcard

Quote from: Sidney on February 15, 2015, 09:53:41 AM

Deliberately inflicting injury is an integral part of rugby. It isn't in association football.

Respect greater in soccer, your not serious? Practically every match involves at least one incident of feigning injury, players verbally abusing officials and players claiming for throw ins, corners that they know blatantly they are not entitled to. Yes its not as physical as rugby but it definitely doesn't have a culture of respect. Whilst I would be critical of rugby as a spectacle and have very little interest in watching it outside of the big European Cup and six nations matches (and thats mostly out of patriotism and the sense of accasion), there is definitely a healthier respect towards both the officials and the opponent. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on February 15, 2015, 02:17:36 PM

Respect greater in soccer, your not serious? Practically every match involves at least one incident of feigning injury, players verbally abusing officials and players claiming for throw ins, corners that they know blatantly they are not entitled to. Yes its not as physical as rugby but it definitely doesn't have a culture of respect. Whilst I would be critical of rugby as a spectacle and have very little interest in watching it outside of the big European Cup and six nations matches (and thats mostly out of patriotism and the sense of accasion), there is definitely a healthier respect towards both the officials and the opponent.

Sid is a WUM lads.... Move on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 15, 2015, 02:20:57 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 15, 2015, 02:17:36 PM

he is right about tackles aimed at the head. Maybe pro sport is the issue.
Will Sexton or BoD end up shooting themselves in the heart in 20 years time and donating their brains to research like that ex american footballer did ?

Sid is a WUM lads.... Move on