The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Not worried about offloading I reckon we will be well prepared in that regard come WC. Schmidt is too cute not to have plenty up his sleeve for then!!! Leinster played the most exciting Rugby in the Northern Hemisphere when he was in charge and I reckon we'll be playing well come September the 6N is about options and being competitive at this stage.

muppet

Quote from: screenexile on February 09, 2015, 10:23:20 PM
Not worried about offloading I reckon we will be well prepared in that regard come WC. Schmidt is too cute not to have plenty up his sleeve for then!!! Leinster played the most exciting Rugby in the Northern Hemisphere when he was in charge and I reckon we'll be playing well come September the 6N is about options and being competitive at this stage.

Indeed, Henderson and O'Donnell put their hands up as options and they weren't even in the named team.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 11:03:57 PM

Indeed, Henderson and O'Donnell put their hands up as options and they weren't even in the named team.

Henderson has turned into some unit. He's bound to be close enough to push for a place especially as he can play lock and back row. He's been playing well for Ulster since his return from injury as well.

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 11:03:57 PM

I have great time for Tommy, and he's a nice lad as well, but I don't think he's anywhere near at the physical level needed to compete with the big strong back rows you'll see in international rugby.

Walter Cronc

As expected the 3 Lions come into the side! Really want to see Henderson get more game time.

Ireland XV to face France: Rob Kearney, Tommy Bowe, Jared Payne, Robbie Henshaw, Simon Zebo, Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray, Jamie Heaslip, Sean O'Brien, Peter O'Mahony, Paul O'Connell (captain), Devin Toner, Mike Ross, Rory Best, Jack McGrath.

Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin, 17 Cian Healy, 18 Marty Moore, 19 Iain Henderson 20 Jordi Murphy, 21 Isaac Boss, 22 Ian Madigan 23 Felix Jones.

AZOffaly

Interesting that Madigan makes the bench and Keatley doesn't.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2015, 03:03:48 PM
Interesting that Madigan makes the bench and Keatley doesn't.

Covers 10,12 and 15. Plus he's a better player. No?

AZOffaly

Yes, although Keatley can play all those positions, and has done. Last week I said I'd have preferred Madigan to Keatley, so I'm not saying it's the wrong decision. It's just interesting that Keatley seems to have played himself out of contention on that display.

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 12, 2015, 02:40:51 PM
As expected the 3 Lions come into the side! Really want to see Henderson get more game time.

Ireland XV to face France: Rob Kearney, Tommy Bowe, Jared Payne, Robbie Henshaw, Simon Zebo, Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray, Jamie Heaslip, Sean O'Brien, Peter O'Mahony, Paul O'Connell (captain), Devin Toner, Mike Ross, Rory Best, Jack McGrath.

Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin, 17 Cian Healy, 18 Marty Moore, 19 Iain Henderson 20 Jordi Murphy, 21 Isaac Boss, 22 Ian Madigan 23 Felix Jones.

It's coming home it's coming rugby's coming home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqimlFcJsM

How many years of hurt against the All blacks ?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2015, 03:28:47 PM
Yes, although Keatley can play all those positions, and has done. Last week I said I'd have preferred Madigan to Keatley, so I'm not saying it's the wrong decision. It's just interesting that Keatley seems to have played himself out of contention on that display.

Schmidt picks players and squads based on how suited he feels they for the opposition. For a while Paddy Jackson was in the squad only to be omitted from the 23 for the next game. Keatley done well but he's just not at this level IMO.

AZOffaly

I agree. I like him, but he's not a top class international out half, and his kicking is not metronomic either. He can be hit and miss.

screenexile

Be interesting to see if we open things out at all against the French this week.

Schmidt has a reputation of being the best attacking coach around and he definitely showed that at Leinster but our back play has been quite limited to a strong kick chase since he's taken over. Don't get me wrong it's working by and large but with the French, English and Welsh all playing a power running game through the middle I think we need something a bit out of the ordinary to get us over the line against them.

What do we reckon?

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2015, 03:28:47 PM
Keatley didnt play himself out. If Sexton was still injured Keatley would probably still be in at 10. But if Sexton had bit fit last week Keatley would not have made the 23.

As a sub, Madigan is more valuable. Keatley wouldnt be close to being a starting 12 for Ireland, but Madigan wouldnt be far off.

Hardy

Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2015, 04:53:58 PM
Be interesting to see if we open things out at all against the French this week.

Schmidt has a reputation of being the best attacking coach around and he definitely showed that at Leinster but our back play has been quite limited to a strong kick chase since he's taken over. Don't get me wrong it's working by and large but with the French, English and Welsh all playing a power running game through the middle I think we need something a bit out of the ordinary to get us over the line against them.

What do we reckon?

It seems to me that nobody even tries to play attacking rugby anymore, in the traditional sense of swinging the ball out and relying on footwork and/or pace and/or slick passing to break the opposition line. And I think it's because defending has become so good and so organised that it's become very rare for a line to be broken with these tactics. Now it's all territory, then mauls or repeated bulldozing phases or, if an attempt is made to break the line, it's by dinking the ball over the top.

Unlike football, where I can enjoy a good defensive performance as much as a good attacking one., I'm beginning to find rugby a bit boring because of the dominance of effective defending.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Hardy on February 12, 2015, 05:08:30 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2015, 04:53:58 PM

What do we reckon?

It seems to me that nobody even tries to play attacking rugby anymore, in the traditional sense of swinging the ball out and relying on footwork and/or pace and/or slick passing to break the opposition line. And I think it's because defending has become so good and so organised that it's become very rare for a line to be broken with these tactics. Now it's all territory, then mauls or repeated bulldozing phases or, if an attempt is made to break the line, it's by dinking the ball over the top.

Unlike football, where I can enjoy a good defensive performance as much as a good attacking one., I'm beginning to find rugby a bit boring because of the dominance of effective defending.

Give it to me any day over soccer. Bar the knockout stages of the champions league its muck.

Schmidt plays to win. I don't care how if it gets us to a world cup semi final or even dream territory final.