The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

I want France to have a relatively good 6Nations. If they perform badly they might replace that nutter Saint-Andre and regroup for the RWC. How he never selected Parra for the 6N is beyond me!

seafoid

Look at the sizes of Heaslip and Haskell in the photo. Is it all healthy gym work ?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2015/0124/675342-live-updates-wasps-v-leinster/

seafoid

Leinster were 14 points up and now Wasps have 2 tries both converted and the momentum.
And Victor Costello says you don't want to take on Wasps in the muscle department. 
Jaysus. But rugby is a real mess

JoG2

Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2015, 12:57:25 PM
Look at the sizes of Heaslip and Haskell in the photo. Is it all healthy gym work ?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2015/0124/675342-live-updates-wasps-v-leinster/

I can't see that size and muscle mass coming from natural sources.  Wasn't it Craig Chalmers young buck who was told he'd have no chance unless he bulked up. He hit the juice, was caught and subsequently banned.

You just have to look at the size of the backs now compared to the previous generation....night and day. The hits are ferocious

Tony Baloney

Haskell's physique is definitely suspicious. He looks like a bull at an agricultural show.

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 24, 2015, 03:47:27 PM
Haskell's physique is definitely suspicious. He looks like a bull at an agricultural show.
The young lad was doing a Leinster rugby camp a few years ago and two players brought the Heino cup along but on the first glance I thought they looked like circus freaks. I wonder what the long term consequences will be. The pictures of them with their usually stick thin girlfriends/wives  are  weird.

seafoid

gallsman

Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2015, 02:10:19 PM
Top 25 6 nations era players and a good smattering of Irish players make the cut

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2015/feb/05/the-guardians-top-25-six-nations-players-interactive

Surprised Dusatoir only made it by the skin of his teeth. Unreal player.

Syferus

Jaysus, putting Johnny above ROG is some call to make, especially on a list of Six Nations greats. Maybe it shows how highly he's thought of outside of Ireland. Well probably only appreciate how good he is when he's gone.

I'd also take Kearney over Halfpenny any day of the week, he's such an electric attacker and a real guiding force for Leinster and Ireland. Halfpenny looks pedestrian from play too often for me, though I understand that his penalty kicking in 2012-2013 were essential to Wales' titles and that's why he's listed.

oakleaflad

RBS Six Nations: Italy v Ireland

Ireland: R Kearney; T Bowe, J Payne, R Henshaw, S Zebo; I Keatley, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best, M Ross; D Toner, P O'Connell (capt); P O'Mahony, S O'Brien, J Murphy.

Replacements: S Cronin, J Cronin, M Moore, I Henderson, T O'Donnell, I Boss, I Madigan, F Jones.

screenexile

Any thoughts on the team for Saturday? It will be interesting to see how we cope with McGrath, Murphy, Keatley who are relative newcomers to Test matches as well as the fact neither Henshaw or Payne have played 6N before. Fingers crossed a game against Italy should be perfect for them to make an impact.

I'd expect our scrum to hold up well at least and hopefully a few tries for Zebo and Bowe as a good warm up for the bigger games.

Applesisapples

Whats the story with Trimble's recovery? I'd also prefer Madigan to Keatley, but lets see.

Walter Cronc

Not a fan of Keatley at all but what can we do apart from trust Joe. If we didnt have the ultra conservative coaches of Matt O'Connor and Anthony Foley in charge of Leinster and Munster Madigan and JJ Hanrahan would be fighting for this spot. I'd say Madigans confidence is shot!!!