The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2014, 03:05:36 PM
10 man rugby is played in Munster. Jakeball is played in Australia.
Turnipball is played in Munster!

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 24, 2014, 04:12:37 PMA bit like Ireland of late with a game with no/very few offloads. Interesting to see Matt Williams tweet about how sad it was to see the death of running rugby in Ireland.
Hard to know. I think Ireland got carried with themselves for a few minutes after going 17-0 ahead on Saturday and started playing high risk rugby, which gifted Australia turnovers and line breaks. Once Ireland cooled the jets and played a with a bit more structure, Jakeball if you like, it brought a measure of control to proceedings.
If that game had continued like it was, the Aussies would have run in another 3 tries. The Australians played some brilliant stuff in the latter part of the 1st half. It was like watching some of the great French teams of yesteryear, the way they moved the ball through the hands, ducked tackles and offloaded.

seafoid

Matt williams' tweets @mattrcnm are very interesting

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 24, 2014, 05:02:43 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 24, 2014, 04:12:37 PMA bit like Ireland of late with a game with no/very few offloads. Interesting to see Matt Williams tweet about how sad it was to see the death of running rugby in Ireland.
Hard to know. I think Ireland got carried with themselves for a few minutes after going 17-0 ahead on Saturday and started playing high risk rugby, which gifted Australia turnovers and line breaks. Once Ireland cooled the jets and played a with a bit more structure, Jakeball if you like, it brought a measure of control to proceedings.
If that game had continued like it was, the Aussies would have run in another 3 tries. The Australians played some brilliant stuff in the latter part of the 1st half. It was like watching some of the great French teams of yesteryear, the way they moved the ball through the hands, ducked tackles and offloaded.

Zero offloads in 2 games is a crazy stat. I think JS will mix it up slightly come 6N and RWC but maybe for now he is putting in place that real discipline where only an offload is attempted when its really on. Your right in that the Australian back play was sublime at times. They are the best in the world when they get it right. You'd fancy them and England to get out of the group of death next year!

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 24, 2014, 02:58:21 PM
What's the difference between Jakeball and "10 man rugby"?

10 man rugby stops at the out-half.   Jakeball allows a kicking fullback to get involved too.

/Jim.

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 24, 2014, 05:37:04 PM

Zero offloads in 2 games is a crazy stat. I think JS will mix it up slightly come 6N and RWC but maybe for now he is putting in place that real discipline where only an offload is attempted when its really on. Your right in that the Australian back play was sublime at times. They are the best in the world when they get it right. You'd fancy them and England to get out of the group of death next year!
I suppose he didn't want a repeat of last year. Keeping it tight even in the last 5 minutes was important.

Walter Cronc

Rugby World Cup tickets go back on sale this morning at 10am!!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 25, 2014, 09:01:53 AM
Rugby World Cup tickets go back on sale this morning at 10am!!

When are the 6 nations ticlets usually released?
Considering getting some for a christmas present if i can, are they out before christmas?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Walter Cronc

Some lads on here might be better placed than me but England/French tickets at home are notoriously hard to get. I've been lucky enough in the past to get them through the Irish rugby supporters club. If you know anyone in your local rugby club they would have a good chance of getting you some. First port of call would be go on the Irish rugby website and check.

johnneycool

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 24, 2014, 05:37:04 PM

Zebo tried an offload when the pass wasn't on and cost a try. He'd have been better going to ground and recycle, although he was vastly outnumbered and would have resulted in a penalty. 20/20 hindsight is brilliant.

I wouldn't get overly hung up and what other coaches are saying as Schmitt has to get the best out of what he has irrespective of how other teams view it.

If Australia thought they'd win the WC next year by tucking the ball under their jersey and bulling their way over the line they'd do it in a heart beat.

theticklemister

Got two tickets for weekend of sat and sun for both quarter finals of either Ireland v New Zealand or Ireland v other team. Both came together for 240

screenexile

Well that puts our couple of results in perspective. SA and Aus beaten today and shown they can be got at.

Englands scrum is absolutely terrifying the form it was in today. I didn't see the Wales game but it looks like a big defensive game. I'd say there is very little between ourselves/France/England. It's all shaping up for some big contests next year!!

Estimator

Quote from: screenexile on November 29, 2014, 04:26:52 PM
Well that puts our couple of results in perspective. SA and Aus beaten today and shown they can be got at.

Englands scrum is absolutely terrifying the form it was in today. I didn't see the Wales game but it looks like a big defensive game. I'd say there is very little between ourselves/France/England. It's all shaping up for some big contests next year!!
Watched the Welsh game. Very soft yellow card given against SA cost them a lot of momentum in the 2nd half. SA had 3 games worth of mistakes today. A couple of absolute howlers from Le Roux as well. Neither side really looked like scoring a try.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Max Payne

Not sure about that. SA and Ozzies at the end of a long tour were much easier defeated than they were at the beginning. Also it's good to beat one of the Southern Hemisphere teams in a one off performance. To beat two of them in the space of three weeks is much more difficult and carries more weight.

Syferus

Quote from: Max Payne on November 29, 2014, 05:26:50 PM

Not sure about that. SA and Ozzies at the end of a long tour were much easier defeated than they were at the beginning. Also it's good to beat one of the Southern Hemisphere teams in a one off performance. To beat two of them in the space of three weeks is much more difficult and carries more weight.

And the little matter of winning the Six Nations.

Ford was less of a liability than Farrell usually is. Still a classical England team that can be out-foxed quite effectively. The game at Landsdowe should be good fun.