The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Yeah Toland is excellent with his analysis. 2nd captains should be decent listening this week.

It's noticeable how much Zebo has upped his work rate in the past 12 months. He tackled well and hit plenty of rucks. I was never a fan at the start but O'Mahoney is developing into a work class blind side!

AZOffaly

Seems to be an Australian term for over reliance on kicking the ball away, as part of a tactical plan. Seemingly Jake White is a proponent.

screenexile

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/transformation-darkest-hour/

QuoteJakeball developed during the World Cup Springboks of 2007, before really coming into its own with the Brumbies and the Sharks. Jakeball is ideological, template rugby. Start with a forward pack with impeccable set piece credentials. Lock in likewise a kicking 9, 10, and 15. Then play territory. Jakeball teams simply don't play rugby in their own third, and often their own half. They create pressure, force mistakes, then capitalise on them. It can be very effective.

seafoid

England seem to be watery enough at the moment. I wonder if it will still be the case in the six nations.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: seafoid on November 24, 2014, 01:34:05 PM
England seem to be watery enough at the moment. I wonder if it will still be the case in the six nations.

Creativity as always is their weakness. George Ford is a super talent at 10. With such a powerful pack they will be there or thereabouts in the 6N and RWC.

screenexile

Quote from: seafoid on November 24, 2014, 01:34:05 PM

England will still be a threat! They haven't been beaten out the gate by anyone.

Yes they are limited but even limited teams can pull off a big win once and again. Witness our game in the 6 Nations last year. I would expect this years game to follow a much similar path only for us to prevail due to the Schmidt/Aviva Factor. When they're at home in the WC they will be a tough nut to crack given their huge pack and you'd expect their defence to be on its top game for then as well!!

screenexile

On another note is D'Arcy going to make the World Cup? On the game yesterday you would have to say no. Madigan/Olding/Payne all look as if they are a better option than him in there at this stage!!!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on November 24, 2014, 01:47:27 PM
On another note is D'Arcy going to make the World Cup? On the game yesterday you would have to say no. Madigan/Olding/Payne all look as if they are a better option than him in there at this stage!!!

Agree with you here SE. I think D'Arcy is under pressure to hold his squad place. If he's not going to start then personally I think Olding would be a better choice as back up 12 as it would give him experience plus he can cover 10 and 15. D'Arcy lacks the power to prevent the offloads when making the tackle.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: screenexile on November 24, 2014, 10:54:21 AM
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/transformation-darkest-hour/

QuoteJakeball developed during the World Cup Springboks of 2007, before really coming into its own with the Brumbies and the Sharks. Jakeball is ideological, template rugby. Start with a forward pack with impeccable set piece credentials. Lock in likewise a kicking 9, 10, and 15. Then play territory. Jakeball teams simply don't play rugby in their own third, and often their own half. They create pressure, force mistakes, then capitalise on them. It can be very effective.
What's the difference between Jakeball and "10 man rugby"?

AZOffaly

10 man rugby is played in Munster. Jakeball is played in Australia.

Walter Cronc

Jakball was adopted by the Brumbies in Super 15 which did not go down well in Australia. That's basically why Jake White was overlooked for the Wallabies job as he plays a low risk kicking game relying on the opposition to make a mistake. Its effective but not great on the eye. A bit like Ireland of late with a game with no/very few offloads. Interesting to see Matt Williams tweet about how sad it was to see the death of running rugby in Ireland. I don't think too many Irish fans will be bothered what style the team plays under Schmidt if they reach a world cup semi final.