The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Well done to the rugby shower. I thought SA had the game all but wrapped up at half time, they were just a few handling errors away from taking total control of the game. The irish penalty conversion rate was top class, such a difference it makes to have a couple of out halves who can pop them over from all angles, with a 100% success.

Walter Cronc

Anyone hazard a guess as to the starting XV for Sunday? Is it worth resting one of Payne/Henshaw or better to build the partnership? D'Arcy should be back in contention. Redden and Madigan at 9/10 you'd think.

seafoid

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/12/johnny-sexton-ireland-irb-player-of-year

Ireland's fly-half Johnny Sexton has been nominated for the 2014 International Rugby Board world player of the year award.

Sexton, who played an instrumental role when Ireland beat South Africa last weekend, is among five nominations announced by the IRB.

The 29-year-old has been joined on the shortlist by South Africa's full-back Willie le Roux and No8 Duane Vermeulen, and New Zealand's wing Julian Savea and lock Brodie Retallick.

Max Payne

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 12, 2014, 10:04:29 AM
Anyone hazard a guess as to the starting XV for Sunday? Is it worth resting one of Payne/Henshaw or better to build the partnership? D'Arcy should be back in contention. Redden and Madigan at 9/10 you'd think.

http://www.thescore.ie/ireland-dave-foley-georgia-schmidt-1779185-Nov2014/

It seems that Darren Cave, Craig Gilroy and Dave Foley will get game time if this is to be believed.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 12, 2014, 10:04:29 AM

15 Jones
14 Gilroy
13 Cave
12 Darcy
11 Zebo
10 Madigan
  9  Reddan

1  Kilcoyne
  2  Strauss
  3  Ross
  4  McCarthy
  5  Foley
  6  Diack
  7  O'Donnell
  8  Heaslip (Capt.)

I would expect Ah You , Marmion , James Croinin (if fit), Dominic Ryan and maybe Keatley to see game time off the bench with Ah You getting at least a half an hour.

Estimator

After the SA result against England today, do last weeks naysayers and down-players have a different perspective on Ireland's result and performance against the Springboks?

Ulster League Champions 2009

Syferus

Quote from: Estimator on November 15, 2014, 04:47:10 PM
After the SA result against England today, do last weeks naysayers and down-players have a different perspective on Ireland's result and performance against the Springboks?

All it means is that England are a mess at out-half.

Milltown Row2

Are we better than England? I thought Ireland was always better than England lately but we have an inferiority complex against the English (years of Colonialism), and to be fair South Africa improved from last week. Can only really (at this level) judge yourself against the teams you are playing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2014, 05:00:43 PM

5 losses in a  row for the Tans.
Great prep for the 6 nations

Tony Baloney

Farrell at 10 today?

Syferus

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 15, 2014, 05:37:35 PM

Farrell at 10 today?

Until he was yanked in the second half.

Bankrupt imagination as seems to be standard for England at the halves for as long as I've watched them. The reason we've beat them so regularly lately is because it's so easy to seem them coming a mile off. I'd be disappointed if we lose at home to them next year.

Captain Obvious

It's nicely set up for famous Irish victory against Australia next week.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2014, 08:15:13 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 15, 2014, 05:37:35 PM

Farrell at 10 today?

Until he was yanked in the second half.

Bankrupt imagination as seems to be standard for England at the halves for as long as I've watched them. The reason we've beat them so regularly lately is because it's so easy to seem them coming a mile off. I'd be disappointed if we lose at home to them next year.

We haven t beat them under Lancaster though. England have won last 3 or 4.
I agree we should be beating them because I think we are better in most positions. But need to get the gameplan right and avoid an arm wrestle.

Farrell is a problem but not the only problem.

I also think the respect that Lancaster earned is now beginning to erode. He took a bit of a grilling in interview after yesterday and his response was pretty lame. Scoreline flattered England yesterday yet they were kicking themselves that they should have won after. England's record under SL against the big 4 of Wales, NZ, SA and Aus is played 16 and lost 13.

Max Payne

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 16, 2014, 04:51:38 PM

I fear a wee bit for Ireland against the Aussies. I think Cheika will be desperate not to go home with a 1/3 record in the November series.

That being said they are tired at the end of a long season. So basically I'm sitting on the fence.

moysider

Quote from: Max Payne on November 16, 2014, 11:51:32 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 16, 2014, 04:51:38 PM

I fear a wee bit for Ireland against the Aussies. I think Cheika will be desperate not to go home with a 1/3 record in the November series.

That being said they are tired at the end of a long season. So basically I'm sitting on the fence.

Cheika is good but confident of an Ireland win. All the tourists look a bit shagged and remember Aus. still have another test against England a week later. I thought Aus. got a bit of a beating-up  from the French last night and our first XV had a bit of a rest this week. I was encouraged by the performance against Georgia today as well.