The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Of course it was a famous victory!! Enjoy it

thewobbler

If I was to put the victory in the context of my own playing days, in terms of celebrations this is worthy of a skinful, but not worthy of a Monday off.

It's hardly a novel thing to beat SA.

Despite all the absentees, the core of Schmidt's team was in place and that was crucial. It was Kearney, Sexton, Murray, Heaslip and O Connell who brought control to the performance.

But this was the story for most of last season and will hopefully continue up the World Cup. While EOS and Kidney would have put the same XVs out every week regardless of form or fitness, the incessant injuries of the past 12 months have opened Schmidt's eyes up to a genuine strength in depth in almost every position.

During the resurgence of Irish rugby at the start of the last decade, I often felt that the 'irreplaceable' nature of average players like Foley, Maggs, Hayes and others was a media creation lived out by coaches. The media now seem to be fully onboard with the squad ideal these days.

muppet

Quote from: thewobbler on November 09, 2014, 11:11:45 AM
If I was to put the victory in the context of my own playing days, in terms of celebrations this is worthy of a skinful, but not worthy of a Monday off.

It's hardly a novel thing to beat SA.

Despite all the absentees, the core of Schmidt's team was in place and that was crucial. It was Kearney, Sexton, Murray, Heaslip and O Connell who brought control to the performance.

But this was the story for most of last season and will hopefully continue up the World Cup. While EOS and Kidney would have put the same XVs out every week regardless of form or fitness, the incessant injuries of the past 12 months have opened Schmidt's eyes up to a genuine strength in depth in almost every position.

During the resurgence of Irish rugby at the start of the last decade, I often felt that the 'irreplaceable' nature of average players like Foley, Maggs, Hayes and others was a media creation lived out by coaches. The media now seem to be fully onboard with the squad ideal these days.

The front row demonstrates both sides of this argument. Jack McGrath made 17 tackles and won turnovers and penalties. Some performance for Cian Healy's understudy. But the other side had a half fit Mike Ross.
MWWSI 2017

Max Payne

Someone asked me what do the November Tests actually count for. Apart from world rankings and building up momentum and form, I was stuck for an answer. While it was great beating a SH team surely the 6Nations is of more significance going in to the World Cup?

On the game itself thought Payne had a great game. I had doubted he would have the physicality for all the Boks traffic through the middle but he more than held his one. O'Mahoney is superb. His attitude and aggression stand him apart. He's like the lad that everyone wants on their team heading out to play your local rivals.

Beat Georgia next week and set up for Oz in the last test. Their fly half Begley (Meath Man?) looks the part.

screenexile

Quote from: Max Payne on November 09, 2014, 11:07:25 PM
Someone asked me what do the November Tests actually count for. Apart from world rankings and building up momentum and form, I was stuck for an answer. While it was great beating a SH team surely the 6Nations is of more significance going in to the World Cup?

On the game itself thought Payne had a great game. I had doubted he would have the physicality for all the Boks traffic through the middle but he more than held his one. O'Mahoney is superb. His attitude and aggression stand him apart. He's like the lad that everyone wants on their team heading out to play your local rivals.

Beat Georgia next week and set up for Oz in the last test. Their fly half Begley (Meath Man?) looks the part.

I don't know why but the November Internationals are taken very seriously by all teams and are far from what you'd get in a soccer friendly. They just don't do friendlies in Rugby for some reason which is great as you can be sure both teams are going hell for leather.

Fair play!

From the Bunker

Don't know if anybody seen Hook/Pope/O'Shea. But O'Shea showed up Hook with his tactical awareness and knowledge. Hook just looked a bluffer.

Max Payne

Quote from: screenexile on November 09, 2014, 11:14:18 PM
Quote from: Max Payne on November 09, 2014, 11:07:25 PM

I don't know why but the November Internationals are taken very seriously by all teams and are far from what you'd get in a soccer friendly. They just don't do friendlies in Rugby for some reason which is great as you can be sure both teams are going hell for leather.

Fair play!

I wonder do SANZAR take it as seriously as the European teams. Half to say I love the November tests. Something about the Aviva on a cold Dublin day with only the burgers and pints to warm ye up!

screenexile

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 09, 2014, 11:21:51 PM
Don't know if anybody seen Hook/Pope/O'Shea. But O'Shea showed up Hook with his tactical awareness and knowledge. Hook just looked a bluffer.

At this stage he's only there for a few soundbites and because he's one of the old guard. In fairness the 3 soccer dinosaurs are a fair bit behind where they should be tactically as well.

O'Shea knows his onions and is a future Ireland coach for sure!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on November 09, 2014, 11:52:27 PM

At this stage he's only there for a few soundbites and because he's one of the old guard. In fairness the 3 soccer dinosaurs are a fair bit behind where they should be tactically as well.

Hook talks absolute shite and it is embarassing to listen to. I don't know if the jostling with Brent Pope is manufactured but it makes him look like a doddery auld cnut. O'Shea is coaching the spine of the England team so he should be better placed than Hook to pass comment.

moysider

Manager maybe. Coach, hopefully not.

As a player O Shea was talked up a better player than he ever delivered. He s no less a bluffer than Hook. Only younger.

johnneycool

Quote from: moysider on November 10, 2014, 12:08:40 AM

Manager maybe. Coach, hopefully not.

As a player O Shea was talked up a better player than he ever delivered. He s no less a bluffer than Hook. Only younger.

He was a limited enough player but with no one better standing in the wings he was well worth his place.
What that's got to do with his coaching credentials which a good few English teams and the association seem to rate highly I don't know!

As a matter of interest, Ireland go to on tour in the early part of the summer and normally get tanked in the SH, end of season stuff, is it not the same now for SA, NZ and the Auzzies?

Walter Cronc

Perhaps someone can clarify but what exactly is Conor O'Shea's role at Quins. I know he is Director of Rugby but is he not in overall charge of what happens on the field? Who is responsible for the upturn in performances at Quins then? Some super coach?? What about McCall at Saracens. Is this the same that he has no say over on-field matters? I know David Humphreys was DoR at Ulster but his role appeared to cover more player recruitment/management positions.

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 09, 2014, 11:57:40 PM

Hook talks absolute shite and it is embarassing to listen to. I don't know if the jostling with Brent Pope is manufactured but it makes him look like a doddery auld cnut. O'Shea is coaching the spine of the England team so he should be better placed than Hook to pass comment.
TV sports analysis is part sport , part light entertainment .

Aerlik

The Kiwis scaped past the English, yet we didn't even warrant a mention on Aus TV.  Those colonial apron strings are a noose at times.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

screenexile

Quote from: Aerlik on November 10, 2014, 12:30:42 PM
The Kiwis scaped past the English, yet we didn't even warrant a mention on Aus TV.  Those colonial apron strings are a noose at times.

Nah I watched it they beat them comfortably in the end up only for the English to get a try at the end to take the gloss off it.

England have a major issue at HB that will keep on continuing as long as Farrell is there. He kicks his goals and defends well but other than that extremely limited. They also have an issue at centre as well with very little creativity and no real idea who they want to play there when they have all their players available. The fact Stefon Armitage isn't playing is also a huge boost for everyone else!!

Having said that England are well organised, big, athletic but when it comes to the crunch I think our players are smarter and we have a vastly superior coach. Should we play them in the WC I'd be quietly confident.

As for the O'Shea bluffer story well I don't know! He took over one of the major English clubs while they were in turmoil and brought back some stability and has won and is consistently challenging for major honours every year. What more does he have to do in some peoples eyes? The way he talks about the game compared to Popey and Hook should tell you he knows what he's talking about!!