The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Canalman on September 17, 2014, 04:40:50 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2014, 03:23:29 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/sep/17/rugby-world-cup-2015-10-sides-impact

5 Ireland

The more you study the 2015 draw the more you wonder if Ireland can break the habit of a lifetime and actually deliver at a World Cup. With France and Italy in their pool they could advance to the semi-finals at least, with a puncher's shot at the main prize. Joe Schmidt is an outstanding coach and any squad would love a motivated Paul O'Connell at its heart. Jonny Sexton is heading home from France, some of the younger Irish forwards are maturing nicely and last season's Six Nations title was no fluke.

By "actually deliver" I presume you mean win a knockout game in the WC.

In case anyone has forgotten we have never won a knockout game in the history of the WC.

Australia in the 1991 quarter final was the one that got away.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

foxcommander

Quote from: Hardy on September 17, 2014, 04:30:20 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on September 17, 2014, 04:27:05 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on August 15, 2014, 04:42:45 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2014, 02:06:24 PM
I presume a sport which is of the Empire. Erstwhile known as the 'Garrison games'.

Bingo. Give that lad an OBE.

Of course the exception proves the rule: so it's okay to slabber over some Premiership sawker team.  Ideally said team will be your second team after well know "Irish" team Celtic

Because there is no contradication in propping up a bar in a Liverpool/Manchester/Chelsea jersey, averting your gaze from "Imperialist" satellite TV only long enough to glance at your "Imperialist" redtop of choice and still feel disdain for a 32-County team of all creeds representing our island internationally.

/Jim.

Post of the week.

Yes - it was brilliant wasn't it. I'd like to fawn over it too and say fair play.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

oakleaflad

Could be a bit late with this one but where would be the best place to get tickets for one of the home six nations matches? If not for 2015 then 2016 when they become available, does Ticketmaster sell them?

Walter Cronc

Generally as far as I know they go through the clubs first so if you have any friends there that could be an option. Another option I have used in the past is joining the Irish Rugby Supporters Club. They release a limited number (few thousand) to members. I have got lucky in the past and attended a number of games this way. I'm sure more of the clued in fans know other ways however!

Walter Cronc

Team to face South Africa. Interesting midfield selection.

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 55
14. Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 54
13. Jared Payne (Ulster) *
12. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Connacht) 3
11. Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster) 8
10. Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92) 45
9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 28
1. Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 10
2. Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 35
3. Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster) 41
4. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 17
5. Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) 94 (capt)
6. Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 23
7. Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster) 16
8. Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster) 67

Replacements:

16. Richardt Strauss (Old Wesley/Leinster) 4
17. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 10
18. Rodney Ah You (Corinthians/Connacht) 1
19. Mike McCarthy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 15
20. Rhys Ruddock (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 3
21. Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster) 55
22. Ian Madigan (Blackrock College/Leinster) 10
23. Felix Jones (Shannon/Munster) 6

screenexile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 06, 2014, 02:41:38 PM
Team to face South Africa. Interesting midfield selection.

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 55
14. Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 54
13. Jared Payne (Ulster) *
12. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Connacht) 3
11. Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster) 8
10. Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92) 45
9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 28
1. Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 10
2. Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 35
3. Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster) 41
4. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 17
5. Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) 94 (capt)
6. Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 23
7. Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster) 16
8. Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster) 67

Replacements:

16. Richardt Strauss (Old Wesley/Leinster) 4
17. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 10
18. Rodney Ah You (Corinthians/Connacht) 1
19. Mike McCarthy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 15
20. Rhys Ruddock (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 3
21. Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster) 55
22. Ian Madigan (Blackrock College/Leinster) 10
23. Felix Jones (Shannon/Munster) 6

Jaysus we've some injuries lads!! Has Cave been called in at all? I find it surprising that Schmidt doesn't seem to rate him.

JoG2

Wouldnt be Devon Toners biggest fan (has come on rightly though), but I like the look of that team. The back line looks strong.
No harm to Paddy Jackson, but he isnt really international level

Walter Cronc

17 players out but that's still a fairly strong 15. I'd worry about the front row tiring after 60 though.

As for Cave. Jesus SE he is not a good player. Slow, poor distribution, not even a great defender. Your listening to too much BBC NI ;)

Walter Cronc

Quote from: JoG2 on November 06, 2014, 02:53:37 PM
Wouldnt be Devon Toners biggest fan (has come on rightly though), but I like the look of that team. The back line looks strong.

+1

screenexile

That old chestnut . . . the lad is only 22 so has plenty of time!!

It wasn't that long ago I remember Sexton being completely written off as 'not up to it' and now he's probably 2nd best fly half in the world!!

By the way Sexton made his Ireland debut at the age of 24!!!

Walter Cronc

PJ is brave but long gone are the days of a fly half at 5'10. You'll see the new breed in Handre Pollard on Saturday.

JS was being written off (compared to ROG) purely on his kicking game, however he is still the best attacking and defending 10 we've ever had!

JoG2

Quote from: screenexile on November 06, 2014, 02:57:45 PM

That old chestnut . . . the lad is only 22 so has plenty of time!!

It wasn't that long ago I remember Sexton being completely written off as 'not up to it' and now he's probably 2nd best fly half in the world!!

By the way Sexton made his Ireland debut at the age of 24!!!

maybe, and hopefully he does. imo he is holding Ulster back in Europe, along with Marshall. The sooner RP is back the better

screenexile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 06, 2014, 03:00:19 PM
PJ is brave but long gone are the days of a fly half at 5'10. You'll see the new breed in Handre Pollard on Saturday.

JS was being written off (compared to ROG) purely on his kicking game, however he is still the best attacking and defending 10 we've ever had!

Was just going back through the old thread there from around Sextons debut and the following 6 Nations. . . jesus there was some shite talked about him and Kearney.

trileacman the main culprit as well:

Quote from: trileacman on March 15, 2010, 10:29:52 PM
Alot of shite being posted on here. Firstly Kearny is not or nowhere near the Worlds best FB. Off hand I can think of Byrne and now poitranaud being better. That's not even considering Southern Hemisphere sides. Murphy's two displays have been superior to alot of Kearny's rugby in the past year and he should now be given the Full back shirt in my opinion.

Kearny has no attacking threat compared with any other world class full back and is only considered so highly because of his capable hands and strong boot which we all love coz it minds us of a GAA midfielder or FB.

Interesting to see the Sexton apolygists out in force. Had ROG produced these kicking displays the same men would have been twisting the knife in no time. But anyway we are going down this road so we'll have to stick with him. He does get the best out of the backs and aids the defence.

George Hook is also right. The triple crown is a losers trophy and means shite all. However we still have to win this match and cant afford to piss about with the team too much, starting trimble would be dabbling with defeat, he's an awful centre. The only change I would believe in making is starting Mushy to see if he can scrummage. We are now 12 months from a WC and we have an embarassment of a scrum. If Mushy is the way forward (which he isn't) then we need to bleed him quickly.

I of course always backed the 2 of them to be World Class . . .

Walter Cronc

Sure what would a Trillick man know about rugby....likely played for Clogher Valley 4ths.

I'm expecting Ireland to kick a lot on Saturday, moving the huge Saffa pack around the park. Payne/Henshaw were probably picked for defensive duties mainly as Pollard attacks the line constantly as was evident on his 2 tries against the All Blacks in the Rugby Championship. Still he's only 20 and can be got at.

Big opportunity for Zebo. I like Dave Kearney but we need pure finishers like Zebo fit and in form for next year!

screenexile

On the match itself it's hard to see an Ireland victory with a relatively makeshift front row and midfield. The rest of the team is pretty strong though but SA are the 2nd best team in the world so it's hard to see a result.

I'd be happy enough keeping it to 10 points and a decent performance but you never know.