The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: trileacman on June 03, 2014, 10:45:24 PM
South African-esque in his physicality and sheer build. A hugely influential player on his day which was why Ulster were so keen to turn him out for big games.

All the same the "It 100 per cent does impact on my everyday life. I can't walk up steps without having to walk on my toes. I've got no dorsiflexion in my ankle. On the other one I've got minus two, maybe 20 centimetres. It's had a massive effect on my everyday life. I'll probably never run again." quote sends shivers up my spine. I mean some GAA player whine about what we ask of them and sometimes I think they give awful commitment but sacrificing such a huge part of your health must surely be an awful, awful blow. It's just hard to comprehend.

We need an honest discussion on whether this game is going in the right direction when it comes to player's health, sure we're bigger, richer than ever but are we truly better?
no offence here
but loads of GAA players suffer huge health problems like this and worse so you are way off the mark here

concussion only really suffered by rugby/American football players etc - but everything else is shared across multiple sports- if anything rugby players don't suffer as badly from leg/joint injuries as gaa players or soccer players

trileacman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 07, 2014, 09:51:46 PM
South African-esque in his physicality and sheer build. A hugely influential player on his day which was why Ulster were so keen to turn him out for big games.

All the same the "It 100 per cent does impact on my everyday life. I can't walk up steps without having to walk on my toes. I've got no dorsiflexion in my ankle. On the other one I've got minus two, maybe 20 centimetres. It's had a massive effect on my everyday life. I'll probably never run again." quote sends shivers up my spine. I mean some GAA player whine about what we ask of them and sometimes I think they give awful commitment but sacrificing such a huge part of your health must surely be an awful, awful blow. It's just hard to comprehend.

We need an honest discussion on whether this game is going in the right direction when it comes to player's health, sure we're bigger, richer than ever but are we truly better?
no offence here
but loads of GAA players suffer huge health problems like this and worse so you are way off the mark here

concussion only really suffered by rugby/American football players etc - but everything else is shared across multiple sports- if anything rugby players don't suffer as badly from leg/joint injuries as gaa players or soccer players

I'm not referring to GAA players who get injured, that'd be justified, thinking of guys like Brian McGuigan who had a serious eye injury amongst others. Also those who lose out on work due to injuries have reasons too.

My meaning was the likes of Colm Parkinson et al who complain about giving up their weekends without getting paid for it. Sure they sacrifice their time for no pay but sacrificing your health for a 5-10 year wage I would count as being worse.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trileacman on June 08, 2014, 12:42:58 AM

no offence here

I'm not referring to GAA players who get injured, that'd be justified, thinking of guys like Brian McGuigan who had a serious eye injury amongst others. Also those who lose out on work due to injuries have reasons too.

My meaning was the likes of Colm Parkinson et al who complain about giving up their weekends without getting paid for it. Sure they sacrifice their time for no pay but sacrificing your health for a 5-10 year wage I would count as being worse.
You paid heed to anything Parkinson said?! The hits in modern rugby have no comparison to GAA. Football and hurling players no doubt ship some serious tackles and injuries but the stresses, strains and impacts on a hookeror flanker really don't compare.

trileacman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 08, 2014, 12:49:32 AM

no offence here

You paid heed to anything Parkinson said?! The hits in modern rugby have no comparison to GAA. Football and hurling players no doubt ship some serious tackles and injuries but the stresses, strains and impacts on a hookeror flanker really don't compare.

My point exactly, the physical toll doesn't truly compare.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 04, 2014, 08:58:06 AM

Good topic to discuss trileacman but I think in the case of an ankle injury it can be attributed as much to bad luck as anything. For all we know he had a weak ankle to begin with.

I think the issue of concussion is certainly more worrying. Luke Marshall is an example of this and you'd worry about the lad down the line if it continues.

This is an excellent article on Shontayne Hape's battle with concussion.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11264856
That article is sickening. it's just not worth playing sport if that is the risk that players are exposed to.

There was constant pressure from the coaches. Most coaches don't care about what happens later on in your life. It is about the here and now. Everyone wants success. They just think 'if we pay you this you are going to do this'.
Players are just pieces of meat. When the meat gets too old and past its use-by date, the club just buys some more. You get meat that's bruised or damaged, the club goes and buys some more.

And Kieran Read. I bet it's just the tip of the iceberg.
Massive claims coming down the line when ex players start getting Alzheimers in their 50s 

AZOffaly

I keep saying it. Look at the NFL today, and the state of its ex players. Dan Marino is part of the last law suit.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 08, 2014, 10:43:41 AM
I keep saying it. Look at the NFL today, and the state of its ex players. Dan Marino is part of the last law suit.

I'd say it's inevitable.

The NFL paid $765m to over 4000 ex players last year

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/5974edd6-10dc-11e3-b291-00144feabdc0.html

"In 2011, Dave Duerson, a former Chicago Bears player, sent his wife a text message asking her to donate his brain to the NFL's research centre, before shooting himself in the chest.
More than 4,000 former players signed on to the  litigation accusing the NFL of hiding information about the long-term effects of blows to the head and concussions.In their lawsuit, players accused the league of neglecting to implement rules on post-concussion medical treatment and standards covering returning to play. They also accused the NFL of fraudulently concealing the long-term effects of concussions by creating a special research committee that concluded "mild traumatic brain injuries" were "not serious".

And poor Shontayne Hape may not even be able to finish that MBA.

Syferus

The NFL have paid nothing iirc, the agreed settlement was overturned by a judge.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on June 08, 2014, 11:35:36 AM
The NFL have paid nothing iirc, the agreed settlement was overturned by a judge.
nothing yet, apparently

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-03/with-dan-marinos-lawsuit-nfls-concussion-settlement-might-fall-apart
A federal judge in Philadelphia refused in January to approve the massive settlement, saying she had questions as to whether all injured players would be paid adequately

seafoid

Apparently there was concussion involved in Craig Clarke leaving Connacht as well.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/connacht-secondrow-craig-clarke-announces-his-retirement-1.1819255

The Fritz video is awful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3-YvovgYM

lynchbhoy

no offence here

Kind agree with you I think
Gaa players end up with long term inj issues after retirement from the punishment their professional levels of commitment and training cause - club and county level

There are collision damage caused injuries as they would be in general be moving faster than two thirds of rugby players over longer distances IMO
As well as the acl cruciates hip ankle neck and back injuries which are common and then the freq soft tissue injuries

Rugby has become increasingly dangerous in the past 5 years as years of supplement taking and the maturation of the game to professional has taken place.
I don't know what can be done here - padding and helmets might be thought of but while they may be slowing down, the weight alone will be a health worry apart from south sea islanders who are naturally disposed with the ideal physique for the game but yet still will suffer same injuries.

I'm against Gaa players getting 'too big' for this reason, but as our games are increasingly being based on speed, the body builder size prob won't come about in Gaa.
But other injuries caused by training and impact/turning at higher speed is more common!

Walter Cronc

Great to see the Ireland U20 side reach the Junior World Cup Semi Finals.

They topped their group which included France, Wales and Fiji.

On Sunday they play England (reigning champions) for a place in the final against either South Africa or the hosts New Zealand.

Players to look out for include Cian Kelleher (Leinster 15), Gary Ringrose (Leinster 13), Ross Byrne (Leinster 10) and Jack O'Donoghue (Munster 8.

rory

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 10, 2014, 12:41:55 PM
Great to see the Ireland U20 side reach the Junior World Cup Semi Finals.

They topped their group which included France, Wales and Fiji.

On Sunday they play England (reigning champions) for a place in the final against either South Africa or the hosts New Zealand.

Players to look out for include Cian Kelleher (Leinster 15), Gary Ringrose (Leinster 13), Ross Byrne (Leinster 10) and Jack O'Donoghue (Munster 8.

Ireland - Argentina on Saturday night, followed by World Cup football til 1am and then up again at 6am for the JWC semi final.   :o

AZOffaly

Jebus, what a group for Munster...

QuoteNew Munster Rugby Head Coach, Anthony Foley, described his side's opposition in Pool 1 of the new European Rugby Champions Cup as "three handy teams".
A master of the understatement, the man who led Munster to the first of their two European triumphs in Cardiff in 2006 went on to describe Saracens, ASM Clermont Auvergne and Sale Sharks as "fearsome opposition".
"We have picked up three of the best teams in Europe in our pool and looking at the rest of the tournament I think this is an even stronger draw than in previous years," said Foley.
"We have six massive games ahead of us and we will be looking to them all. I'm sure there are a few teams who won't be too happy about having Munster in their pool.
"We have met them all before in Europe and I'm sure our fans will travel in big numbers to Manchester, London and Clermont. And if Saracens fancy taking our game to Wembley, then that will be fine with us.
"It's not a decision for us, but all the players love to play in big stadia and in big games. And all the games in our pool will be big games.
"Having grown up at the club it is going to be a huge honour for me to coach the team next season. I certainly won't be underestimating the size of the task, but we have a good group of players which has been around for a while.
"We want to be playing in the big finals in May and to do that we are going to have to stop teams scoring easy points against us. We need to rectify that, especially when it comes to playing in the Champions Cup."
Sean Cronin – Leinster Rugby
Sean Cronin, the Leinster Rugby and Ireland hooker, spoke for the whole of European rugby when he surveyed the five pools for the Inaugural European Rugby Champions Cup. The three-time champions are drawn in Pool 2 with Castres Oympique, Harlequins and London Wasps.
"Usually there's only one group of death, but they all look tough pools," said the 2012 European Cup winner. "We've got two trips to London which all the boys will be looking forward to. Hopefully there are a few Irish living in London who fancy coming along and giving us their support, as they did at Northampton last season.
"We had Castres Olympique in that pool as well. We played poorly at home and just squeezed out the win but did well out there when we knew it was do-or-die for qualifying.
"But they have since reached a second Top 14 final in a row so that says everything about their strength. They may not be the first French team people talk about, but you don't reach two finals in a row and win the title without being a top-quality team.
"We were disappointed with ourselves last season. We work so hard to progress from a pool that including Northampton, Castres and Ospreys and then felt we let ourselves down in the quarter-final at [eventual winners] Toulon.
"Leinster have a proud tradition in Europe and it will be a huge focus for us next season. We are judged on winning trophies and it was great to lift the Pro12 title and send everyone off for the summer break with a huge boost but we want to prove ourselves again in Europe next season, even though it will be strange not to have Leo [Cullen] and Brian [O'Driscoll] on the pitch."
John Muldoon – Connacht Rugby
Connacht Rugby will play in the European Rugby Challenge Cup next season and skipper John Muldoon is looking forward to trips to France to meet Bayonne and newly promoted La Rochelle, as well as to England to face Exeter Chiefs.
"After two seasons of dining out at the top table of European Cup rugby we now have to play in the Challenge Cup," said Muldoon. "But we've got a tough draw and face some great games.
"I love the challenge of playing in France and last season we went to Toulouse and won. That was a special day for Connacht rugby and now we have the chance to do that again.
"We've been to Bayonne before and won, but we haven't played Exeter Chiefs in a competitive game to my knowledge. We had a friendly against them a few seasons ago, but they have simply got better and better since they gained promotion.
"They've been in the Heineken Cup in the last few season and had to play against some of Europe's biggest clubs. They will be a massive test for us."
2014/15 European Rugby Champions Cup
Pool 1: Saracens, Munster Rugby, ASM Clermont Auvergne, Sale Sharks
Pool 2: Leinster Rugby, Castres Olympique, Harlequins, London Wasps
Pool 3: RC Toulon, Leicester Tigers, Ulster Rugby, Scarlets
Pool 4: Glasgow Warriors, Montpellier, Bath Rugby, Toulouse
Pool 5: Northampton Saints, Racing Metro 92, Ospreys, Benetton Treviso
2014/15 European Rugby Challenge Cup pools
Pool 1: Cardiff Blues, London Irish, Grenoble, FIRA-AER 1
Pool 2: Exeter Chiefs, Bayonne, Connacht Rugby, La Rochelle
Pool 3: Stade Francais Paris, NG Dragons, Newcastle Falcons, FIRA-AER 2
Pool 4: Edinburgh Rugby, Bordeaux-Begles, London Welsh, Lyon
Pool 5: Gloucester Rugby, Brive, Zebre, Oyonnax
Pool stage dates
Round 1: 16/17/18/19 October 2014
Round 2: 23/24/25/26 October 2014
Round 3: 4/5/6/7 December 2014
Round 4: 11/12/13/14 December 2014
Round 5: 15/16/17/18 January 2015
Round 6: 22/23/24/25 January 2015

dec

The Irish women beat New Zealand in the Women's Rugby World Cup.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/international/2014/0805/635333-ireland-new-zealand/

New Zealand 14-17 Ireland