The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

It's not anti-Ulster bias but I specifically recall a few times when he went down injured or was taken to the sideline for treatment but he was always trotted out again. That's simply not good enough and I can't recall the other provinces doing it so blatantly. Jackman and Fogarty at Leinster come to mind, especially Fogarty who's wel-being was badly affected for a while. As for Marshall hiding behind the concussion protocol isn't any excuse, clubs do it because they have to, not because they want to.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

screenexile

Watched highlights of the Northampton Leicester game the other night.

I didn't realise how seriously they take the league over there. 2 things struck me and that was the physicality and the atmosphere of the crowd. It was life and death stuff for all involved and thoroughly absorbing. I wish I had watched it live.

The hits involved were absolutely huge!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on May 22, 2014, 01:36:44 PM

I didn't realise how seriously they take the league over there. 2 things struck me and that was the physicality and the atmosphere of the crowd. It was life and death stuff for all involved and thoroughly absorbing. I wish I had watched it live.

I recorded it and watched the second half live. It was class - a bitter local rivalry if ever there was one. The second half was real hammer and tongs stuff. Did you see the photo doing the rounds of Youngs face when getting a left hook from Ma'afu?  ???

NAG1

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 21, 2014, 09:13:43 AM
Sad if it's the case. Such potential.

The career of Stephen Ferris may be over, with one of Ulster's greatest ever flankers struggling to recover from a recurring ankle injury.

The world-class blindside made a valiant comeback in March for his native province, following 16 months rehabilitating; damage that was initially sustained against Edinburgh in November 2012.

The 28-year-old subsequently broke down at training, just four games into his comeback.

Ferris was expected to leave Ulster for a Japanese club last season but further ankle surgery scuppered the lucrative move.

Having got his central contract extended by the IRFU, he made a dramatic return to action against the Scarlets on March 14th, arriving as a replacement and making an immediate impact with a ferocious tackle.

Two more appearances in the Pro12 against Edinburgh and Cardiff followed before his unique power again proved of enormous benefit off the bench in Ulster's Heineken Cup quarter-final defeat to Saracens.

But the ankle didn't hold up to the strain of just a month in the professional game, subsequently ruling him out for the remainder of the season.

Ferris won the last of his 35 Ireland caps in the 30-9 defeat to England at Twickenham in March 2012. He also toured South Africa with the British and Irish Lions in 2009 but following some excellent performances, a knee injury denied him any involvement in the Test series.

A century of Ulster caps were compiled since 2005 and his enormous contribution for Ireland during the 2011 World Cup pool stages, particularly the victory over Australia at Ellis Park, guarantees him a place among our great backrowers.

I seem to remember getting slated for saying on this thread or Ulster rugby one cant remember that Ferris was finished earlier in the season.

Sad to lose someone to injury at any stage, must be serious ankle damage that with all the medical staff available to them that they cant get him back on the road.

Hardy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 22, 2014, 01:40:54 PM

I recorded it and watched the second half live. It was class - a bitter local rivalry if ever there was one. The second half was real hammer and tongs stuff. Did you see the photo doing the rounds of Youngs face when getting a left hook from Ma'afu?  ???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/10840884/Rugby-union-must-retain-a-sense-of-proportion-otherwise-it-will-become-just-like-football.html

Walter Cronc

Play off semi final and local rivals, always going to be a big game SE.

Despite a relegation and every game being must win the premiership is still a pretty turgid affair to watch. It's only really the play offs where it gets exciting!

Leicester, Northampton, Saracens, Quins and Bath are a good bit better than the rest!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hardy on May 22, 2014, 01:54:31 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 22, 2014, 01:40:54 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/10840884/Rugby-union-must-retain-a-sense-of-proportion-otherwise-it-will-become-just-like-football.html

#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Squad for 3 game tournament (Romania, Uruguay & Russia) in Romania.

Emerging Ireland squad (*denotes capped player)

Backs (11): Michael Allen (Ulster), Andrew Conway (Munster), Craig Gilroy (Ulster*), Eoin Griffin (Connacht), JJ Hanrahan (Munster), Ian Keatley (Munster*), Brendan Macken (Leinster), Paul Marshall (Ulster), Luke McGrath (Leinster), Johne Murphy (Munster), Noel Reid (Leinster).

Forwards (15): Niall Annett (Ulster), Rodney Ah You (Connacht), Michael Bent (Leinster*), Callum Black (Ulster), Paddy Butler (Munster), Bryan Byrne (Leinster), Robin Copeland (Cardiff Blues), Sean Dougall (Munster), David Foley (Munster), Mick Kearney (Connacht), Mike McCarthy (Leinster, capt*), Tommy O'Donnell (Munster*), Dominic Ryan (Leinster), John Ryan (Munster), James Tracy (Leinster).

Walter Cronc

Stuart Hogg to sign for Ulster. Be a great signing if it's the case!

thewobbler

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 26, 2014, 07:21:27 PM

Backs (11): Michael Allen (Ulster), Andrew Conway (Munster), Craig Gilroy (Ulster*), Eoin Griffin (Connacht), JJ Hanrahan (Munster), Ian Keatley (Munster*), Brendan Macken (Leinster), Paul Marshall (Ulster), Luke McGrath (Leinster), Johne Murphy (Munster), Noel Reid (Leinster).

Forwards (15): Niall Annett (Ulster), Rodney Ah You (Connacht), Michael Bent (Leinster*), Callum Black (Ulster), Paddy Butler (Munster), Bryan Byrne (Leinster), Robin Copeland (Cardiff Blues), Sean Dougall (Munster), David Foley (Munster), Mick Kearney (Connacht), Mike McCarthy (Leinster, capt*), Tommy O'Donnell (Munster*), Dominic Ryan (Leinster), John Ryan (Munster), James Tracy (Leinster).

I find it odd that Paul Marshall would be brought on an emerging tour, and Michael Heaney left at home. I like Marshall, but at 28/29 years old he's hardly emerging.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: thewobbler on May 28, 2014, 11:57:44 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 26, 2014, 07:21:27 PM

Forwards (15): Niall Annett (Ulster), Rodney Ah You (Connacht), Michael Bent (Leinster*), Callum Black (Ulster), Paddy Butler (Munster), Bryan Byrne (Leinster), Robin Copeland (Cardiff Blues), Sean Dougall (Munster), David Foley (Munster), Mick Kearney (Connacht), Mike McCarthy (Leinster, capt*), Tommy O’Donnell (Munster*), Dominic Ryan (Leinster), John Ryan (Munster), James Tracy (Leinster).

I find it odd that Paul Marshall would be brought on an emerging tour, and Michael Heaney left at home. I like Marshall, but at 28/29 years old he's hardly emerging.

I'd agree there. Really excited by Luke Mc Grath. Think he'll be fighting it out with Conor Murray soon enough.

AZOffaly

I'm not sure how this is an 'emerging' squad. Surely, by definition, that should be people just coming into the limelight now. Craig Gilroy, Ian Keatley, Johne Murphy, Mike McCarty and even Tommy O'donnell could hardly be emerging.

Walter Cronc

I suppose with any squad they need a few experienced individuals. Gilroy hasnt played much rugby since bursting on the scene in Nov 2012. O'Donnell is very unlucky not to make the main touring party.

It seems to be a case of Schmidt telling players to work on certain aspects of their game and they'll get their chances.

Dave Kearney, Jordi Murphy, Jack Mc Grath and Marty Moore were all on this tour last year!

AZOffaly

Aye. All Leinster bucks!!! ;)

Walter Cronc

Time to split Leinster. Dublin and Culchies!