The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 25, 2013, 09:37:09 AM
Easy to blame Sexton on the penalty miss. I thought though at that stage 3 points wouldn't be enough to hold the AB's out. Ireland were getting the better of them and O'Connell should have gone for the try. Anyway monumental effort against an awesome team. I liked the rugby Ireland played unlike the awful (but also nearly successful) style England played. Hopefully this is not a flash in the pan and Joe can bring them on.
I think 3 points would have been enough in all probability, even against the all blacks.
I'd say the decision to go for the penalty was 100% the correct one, it was a 'gimmie'. Sexton should have buried it, that's the minimum of what you'd expect from your kicker at this level and at that moment in time, that's where the game was left as a gift for the AB's to recover.
Regardless, the All Blacks are still in another league, some of their attacking play and the lines of attack are way ahead of what the Irish players can produce. Their much talked about fitness, physique, aggressiveness and will to win are just extras to their levels of skill.

theskull1

If a good dead ball man is going to miss any kick its normally the ones that people think are gimme's (ignoring the immense importance and pressure associated with this reality). I think we all sensed the pressure after the previous miss. Sexton obviously isn't immune.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on November 25, 2013, 02:13:17 PM
If a good dead ball man is going to miss any kick its normally the ones that people think are gimme's (ignoring the immense importance and pressure associated with this reality). I think we all sensed the pressure after the previous miss. Sexton obviously isn't immune.

Also alludes to the greatest of one Mr J Wilkinson in his prime

seafoid

Quote from: ballinaman on November 25, 2013, 12:01:55 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on November 25, 2013, 11:54:31 AM
Quote from: Sidney on November 24, 2013, 08:10:08 PM
I should clarify. A result in another code today has cruelly taken the Mayo senior inter-county football team's title as biggest bottlers in Irish sport.

Never can that accusation be levelled at them again.

That title is only temporarily residing in leafy south Dublin with the rugby lads till we come roaring  back in Sept to take it back with our own unique three in a row which only a county like Mayo can provide to the nation! ;)
Couldn't help but draw that  comparison myself yesterday as the 2nd half unfolded. The Rugby fraternity got a taste of what we have to put up with.....on a regular basis.
The rugby team NEVER, EVER beat NZ. At least Mayo have 3 all Irelands

GalwayBayBoy

Easy to blame Sexton on the penalty miss. I thought though at that stage 3 points wouldn't be enough to hold the AB's out.

It would almost definitely have been enough. Even the NZ head coach said the game was over had Sexton nailed that kick. Ireland would have been 8 points up with about 7 minutes to play. NZ would have had to have scored a converted try and then scored a penalty or drop goal as well. Not impossible but very unlikely.

Gold

Quote from: gerrykeegan on November 25, 2013, 01:11:12 PM
Would some of the more knowledgable lads here explain to me what Ireland/Murrays tactic of the GarryOwen was all about. He didn't appear to get even one of the kicks right.  We conceeded the ball to the AB's each time. Surly the coach would have been saying. Stop with the box kicks. They are not working.

I for the life of me couldn't understand Murray's kicking. We worked so hard on so many occasions to get the ball back then after carrying the ball into only 1 tackle, recycled the ball to Murray who kicked it back to them. surely it takes more out of a team defending and tackling than it does attacking. No wonder we ran out of steam.

Sexton choked big time. We could all see it coming. He took an age and then actually rushed his kick.

Was the ref's call to give them a penalty with 20 secs to go the correct one?

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

deiseach

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 25, 2013, 02:20:26 PM
Easy to blame Sexton on the penalty miss. I thought though at that stage 3 points wouldn't be enough to hold the AB's out.

It would almost definitely have been enough. Even the NZ head coach said the game was over had Sexton nailed that kick. Ireland would have been 8 points up with about 7 minutes to play. NZ would have had to have scored a converted try and then scored a penalty or drop goal as well. Not impossible but very unlikely.

I'm reminded of Nate Silver's observation (paraphrased) about the likelihood of a team winning while three points up with two minutes  o go. Yes, it was close. But despite what pundits might like to say, the team winning at the time had a much better than 50:50 chance of winning the game. The likelihood of an Ireland win would have increased greatly had Sexton landed that kick. And boy, didn't he know it.

thewobbler

Quote from: Gold on November 25, 2013, 02:28:14 PM
Would some of the more knowledgable lads here explain to me what Ireland/Murrays tactic of the GarryOwen was all about. He didn't appear to get even one of the kicks right.  We conceeded the ball to the AB's each time. Surly the coach would have been saying. Stop with the box kicks. They are not working.

I for the life of me couldn't understand Murray's kicking. We worked so hard on so many occasions to get the ball back then after carrying the ball into only 1 tackle, recycled the ball to Murray who kicked it back to them. surely it takes more out of a team defending and tackling than it does attacking. No wonder we ran out of steam.

I was scratching my head then, and I'm still scratching it now.

NZ weren't interested in the posts; they needed a try. They needed possession. Even if they got it, they were keeping it in hand, as kicking for touch in the hope of stealing a lineout wasn't an option. Territory didn't matter.

So us having the ball at the halfway line simply had to be a better option than them having the ball on their own 10. Us holding onto the ball inside our own 22 would have been a better option than giving it to them anywhere on the pitch.

I can forgive Sexton. People miss kicks at goal. But Murray just made shocking, awful decisions. Harder to forgive. Why POC didn't rip his head off his shoulders after the first one, I've no idea either.

5 Sams

Quote from: thewobbler on November 25, 2013, 02:40:36 PM
Quote from: Gold on November 25, 2013, 02:28:14 PM

I was scratching my head then, and I'm still scratching it now.

NZ weren't interested in the posts; they needed a try. They needed possession. Even if they got it, they were keeping it in hand, as kicking for touch in the hope of stealing a lineout wasn't an option. Territory didn't matter.

So us having the ball at the halfway line simply had to be a better option than them having the ball on their own 10. Us holding onto the ball inside our own 22 would have been a better option than giving it to them anywhere on the pitch.

I can forgive Sexton. People miss kicks at goal. But Murray just made shocking, awful decisions. Harder to forgive. Why POC didn't rip his head off his shoulders after the first one, I've no idea either.
As someone who hasn't a notion about Rugby even I thought this was a weird tactic by Murray. If your u10s were winning by two points with 30 seconds to go and one of them did what Murray did you'd give him a boot in the hole severe talking to.
The Aristocrat Years

Applesisapples

Quote from: screenexile on November 25, 2013, 10:56:59 AM
Quote from: ludermor on November 25, 2013, 10:35:33 AM
Easy to blame Sexton on the penalty miss. I thought though at that stage 3 points wouldn't be enough to hold the AB's out. Ireland were getting the better of them and O'Connell should have gone for the try. Anyway monumental effort against an awesome team. I liked the rugby Ireland played unlike the awful (but also nearly successful) style England played. Hopefully this is not a flash in the pan and Joe can bring them on.
It wasn't a very difficult kick, it wasn't a certainty but you would expect someone of Sextons class to convert it. If he scores that they needed more than a converted try to win, it was a no brainier to go for the kick.

Agreed.

What Captain in their right mind would have gone for the try when beating the All Blacks by 5 points with 8 minutes left!!!
One facing the All Blacks who always do what's needed to win.

deiseach

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 25, 2013, 02:49:36 PM

Ireland were offered a high probability chance to go two scores up versus a low probability chance to go two scores up.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on November 25, 2013, 02:30:03 PM

I'm reminded of Nate Silver's observation (paraphrased) about the likelihood of a team winning while three points up with two minutes  o go. Yes, it was close. But despite what pundits might like to say, the team winning at the time had a much better than 50:50 chance of winning the game. The likelihood of an Ireland win would have increased greatly had Sexton landed that kick. And boy, didn't he know it.
Didn't he just ?  It was a pressure kick and he fluffed it.
Is O Gara not his kicking coach ? 

J OGorman

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 25, 2013, 02:49:36 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 25, 2013, 10:56:59 AM
Quote from: ludermor on November 25, 2013, 10:35:33 AM
It wasn't a very difficult kick, it wasn't a certainty but you would expect someone of Sextons class to convert it. If he scores that they needed more than a converted try to win, it was a no brainier to go for the kick.

Agreed.

What Captain in their right mind would have gone for the try when beating the All Blacks by 5 points with 8 minutes left!!!

best to stop digging old bean. If you're saying going for the penalty and 3 points to go 8 points ahead with minutes remaining was the wrong option, you obv dont know too much about rugby in fairness

J OGorman

Quote from: seafoid on November 25, 2013, 03:41:13 PM

what does this matter? you think Sexton's actual technique is wrong or he doesnt spend enough hours a day practicing?

seafoid

Quote from: J OGorman on November 25, 2013, 03:51:21 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 25, 2013, 03:41:13 PM

what does this matter? you think Sexton's actual technique is wrong or he doesnt spend enough hours a day practicing?

I was just thinking of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceqFRrc8GKY