The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on May 27, 2013, 09:15:38 AM
Quote from: everymanaman on May 25, 2013, 09:44:21 PM
Shoud never have picked the ill disciplined New Zealand hooker in the first place. Would have been a liability on tour

Rory is on the plane. Good to see the lad get a bit of recognition as he seems like a nice enough lad, hopefully he'll get some gametime.

Thought the Rabodirect game on saturday was pretty decent and also pleased to see Paddy Jackson make a few line breaks, maybe Hook will see that the lad is a decent enough bet as understudy to Sexton and longer term him and Madigan who can play in the centre give us a bit of strength in depth especially as Sexton seems a bit prone to injuries.

If he does he is hoping that he has learned to throw the ball in within the last few weeks. How can an 'international' class hooker not have the ability to throw in at the line out, when that is such a crucial part of their role.

Count 10

He has spent the last while at home with hedgehogs and a dartboard....once Gatland heard that the phone call was made ;)

haze

Is it possible to love rugby but hate the Lions?

The suggestion that there is no higher honour for a rugby player to be a Lion is something I find bizarre. Just seems all to British to me.

Hardy

That's pretty much how I feel too, except I don't care enough to hate them and I don't really love rugby, but I quite like it. 

Myles Na G.

Quote from: haze on June 01, 2013, 12:35:41 PM

The suggestion that there is no higher honour for a rugby player to be a Lion is something I find bizarre. Just seems all to British to me.
[/b]
You're talking about the British and Irish Lions, right? The squad boasting 10 Irishmen?

haze

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 01, 2013, 04:44:24 PM

[/b]
You're talking about the British and Irish Lions, right? The squad boasting 10 Irishmen?

Yes that's the team I am talking about. Look I will watch the Lions games - won't care if they win or lose. If the Irish players contribute to victory then great. But suggestions that a Lions tour is the be all and end all are so wide of the mark. Nearly every game played in the past year referenced the tour despite the fact that Heineken Cup, 6 nations are immeasurably more important in my opinion. And the numerous referrals to the team as the British Lions to be honest still wrecks my head.

Anyone who can watch these videos and not feel a bit of nausea have a stronger stomach than me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=Z8azniIPbbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=8g02fvLN60w

muppet

Quote from: haze on June 01, 2013, 08:37:12 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 01, 2013, 04:44:24 PM

[/b]

Yes that's the team I am talking about. Look I will watch the Lions games - won't care if they win or lose. If the Irish players contribute to victory then great. But suggestions that a Lions tour is the be all and end all are so wide of the mark. Nearly every game played in the past year referenced the tour despite the fact that Heineken Cup, 6 nations are immeasurably more important in my opinion. And the numerous referrals to the team as the British Lions to be honest still wrecks my head.

Anyone who can watch these videos and not feel a bit of nausea have a stronger stomach than me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=Z8azniIPbbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=8g02fvLN60w

I hate ads too.

But it doesn't stop me buying beer/chips/cars/insurance etc.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I'm fairly ambivalent about the Lions 'brand' and concept, particularly now when the 6 Nations teams are playing autumn internationals against the old Tri Nations countries every year. I get that it's an honour for players to be selected, but with the amount of international tests these days, it's basically a glorified series of exhibition matches. And I get the feeling that the Rugby folk in the Southern Hemisphere don't really rate it either, Western Force's attitude today was to preserve their best team for a match next weekend (as it should be), rather than line up to be hockeyed by this bastardised team.

Then Clive Woodward, the hammerhead, labelled them as a disgrace for 'disrespecting' the Lions.

Anyhow, back to the real stuff, the Draw for next years Heineken Cup is out...

Pool 1

Leinster Rugby
Northampton Saints
Ospreys
Castres

Pool 2

RC Toulon
Cardiff Blues
Glasgow Warriors
Exeter Chiefs

Pool 3

Toulouse
Saracens
Connacht Rugby
Zebre

Pool 4

ASM Clermont Auvergne
Harlequins
Scarlets
Racing Metro 92

Pool 5

Ulster Rugby
Leicester Tigers
Montpellier
Treviso

Pool 6

Munster Rugby
Perpignan
Edinburgh Rugby
Gloucester Rugby

muppet

When Munster played the All-Blacks in 2008, most of the Irish big names didn't line out for Munster as they were being rested for an Ireland match.

It didn't stop the Munster reserves getting stuck in though, did it?

Here is the Munster Haka and try for anyone who didn't see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13fGHSqHTwA
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Healy cited for biting today. Looked nasty enough down on a Western Force players finger. If the ankle injury picked up today doesn't send him home, this probably will. This and the stamp vs England this year.....nice chap!

Aerlik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PIKaqHLYtw

I went to the game tonight with the sole intention of saying I saw BO'D play and for him to score twice was great.  Also, Tommy Bowe's try was only about 25 metres from where I was seated and I had a great view of that.

Re. the naming of the team, I recall when "Irish" was not included in the team's official title yet Irish men played, indeed captained the team.  So for us to be formally recognised nowadays lies easy with me.  As does the number of Irish fans wearing Lions jerseys.  Similarly the big lad from Limavady standing in front of me with his Ireland shirt on and us roaring for Tommy Bowe's try says that there is progress.

Now if only we could get the FAI and IFA to get it together.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on June 05, 2013, 04:44:33 PM
When Munster played the All-Blacks in 2008, most of the Irish big names didn't line out for Munster as they were being rested for an Ireland match.

It didn't stop the Munster reserves getting stuck in though, did it?

Here is the Munster Haka and try for anyone who didn't see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13fGHSqHTwA

And I didn't go to that game either because it was a bullshit Adidas Marketing ploy. Munster B versus New Zealand C.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ballinaman on June 05, 2013, 06:05:25 PM
Healy cited for biting today. Looked nasty enough down on a Western Force players finger. If the ankle injury picked up today doesn't send him home, this probably will. This and the stamp vs England this year.....nice chap!

He has serious issues.

AZOffaly

Great win for Ireland U20s tonight in the World Cup v Australia.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 05, 2013, 07:28:20 PM
Great win for Ireland U20s tonight in the World Cup v Australia.

Jesus they were reasonably comfortable until that kamikaze offload that led to the Aussie try. . . great performance though. Am I right that these lads don't get to have Henshaw and Olding as they were called up to the Senior tour?

You wouldn't have that in GAA ... surely an U20 World Cup is more important than a shitbag tour of the US?