Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Burner

Quote from: deiseach on April 17, 2013, 02:20:17 PM
Quote from: The Burner on April 17, 2013, 02:06:21 PM
Quote from: deiseach on April 17, 2013, 01:56:45 PM
Quote from: The Burner on April 17, 2013, 01:55:03 PM
Quote from: deiseach on April 17, 2013, 01:47:11 PM
I don't see anyone claiming Paul O'Connell kicked Dave Kearney deliberately, not even Joe Schmidt. If O'Connell meant it, he needs locking up. But since no one has made that argument, bringing it up is a straw man. I notice you don't address the "obstinate indifference to the consequences of one's acts" part of the rules. And by his own words, Paul O'Connell has demonstrated that in spades. He kicks a man in the head and when he looks at the footage his only concern is that he might get cited at an awkward time of the season? Shameful.

Ah come on now Deiseach, Immediately after the incident he checked if he was ok and Id be fairly sure he has apologised for it to Kearney. There is nothing wrong with what O Connell said so dont be making an issue out of nothing

Don't shoot the messenger.

Your not the messenger!

I gave a link to what Paul O'Connell said.

But you made a statement based on what O Connell said. If you had put up the article, said nothing and I then commented critically on the article you would then be entitled to say "Dont shoot the messenger"

But you delivered your own verdict hence the response "dont shoot the messenger" makes no sense!

deiseach

Quote from: The Burner on April 17, 2013, 02:25:40 PM
But you made a statement based on what O Connell said. If you had put up the article, said nothing and I then commented critically on the article you would then be entitled to say "Dont shoot the messenger"

But you delivered your own verdict hence the response "dont shoot the messenger" makes no sense!

I don't think I misrepresented O'Connell's position, and the fact you need to make assumptions that he must have made an apology without any evidence of one suggests to me that his stated position is not a flattering one. Still, I did editorialise (and am doing it again!) so I take your point.

The Burner

Quote from: deiseach on April 17, 2013, 02:30:57 PM
Quote from: The Burner on April 17, 2013, 02:25:40 PM

I don't think I misrepresented O'Connell's position, and the fact you need to make assumptions that he must have made an apology without any evidence of one suggests to me that his stated position is not a flattering one. Still, I did editorialise (and am doing it again!) so I take your point.

Well he did check on his welfare in the immediate aftermath of the incident. As for you not misrepresenting O Connell' position, perhaps you havent, but you will also have to consider that he may have been responding to the question "Were you worried about a possible citing?" In which case i dont really see anything wrong with what he has said. Like you said its based on assumptions but by the same token you could be misrepresenting O Connell because we dont exactly know what question he was asked.

seafoid

Eddie Moroney on Kearney and O Connell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7SyDhZlV8Y&feature=youtu.be

A very dirty kick by the looks of it

AZOffaly

It was reckless and I'm surprised and relieved he wasn't cited so he would at least explain himself. However, I do have to say that in my opinion it was in no way intentional or dirty, and I would also say that O'Connells first reaction was to go to the injured player and check on him. He was there quite a while too.

I'm quite sure he was relieved he wasn't cited, and was worried he would be, but it's unfair to suggest that was his primary concern.

The reaction of the Leinster lads on the field told a lot too in my opinion, including that of Cullen. I think Schmidt's and Cullen's remarks since then are in direct response to Penney opening his big trap. The more I see of him the less I like him to be honest. From his bullshit self protection a couple of weeks ago to this needless stoking of the fires. He should have just counted his blessings and moved on.

Dinny Breen

There's going to be no show like a Joe show.

Backroom team make-up will be interesting.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 24, 2013, 12:53:24 PM

100% ?

That's impressively early Dinny. Don't see it anywhere else

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on April 24, 2013, 01:01:24 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 24, 2013, 12:53:24 PM

100% ?

That's impressively early Dinny. Don't see it anywhere else

Contract signed as far as I am aware.
#newbridgeornowhere

orangeman

This nearly merits a thread on its own.

RONAN O'GARA played his last game for Munster in Saturday's Heineken Cup semi-final loss to Clermont Auvergne.

The 36-year-old out-half will delay an announcement for a number of weeks but after 110 Heineken Cup games and 1,395 points and a record 128 international caps for Ireland, he is believed to be keen to explore new career options.

Those options include pursuing a coaching role away from Munster as he believes he needs to experience other rugby cultures before realising his ultimate goal of becoming Munster's head coach one day.

Munster, though, are keen to convince him to keep playing for one more season. They have offered him a one-year contract and coach Rob Penney emphasised the desire to keep his star out-half. "Rog will be a part of Munster for as long as he wants to be," he said.

O'Gara was in outstanding form against Clermont and, in particular, he kicked beautifully. He also managed the game expertly and turned over a couple of balls at the breakdown. It was no surprise Penney was generous in his praise of the player afterwards.

"He loves the big moments obviously and he's been great for us. Since he's come back from Ireland he's had a clear image of what he's trying to achieve, and what he wants to do.

"He's such a passionate Munster man," he said.

mouview

Celt_Man

Schmidt confirmed as new Gaffer!! Excellent! 8)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

Press Conference will be streamed Live at 4pm today

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/29025.php

The Irish Rugby Football Union today officially announced the appointment of Joe Schmidt as Ireland head coach.
A media conference welcoming Joe Schmidt, Ireland's newly-appointed head coach, will be streamed live today at 4pm on www.irishrugby.ie.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

muppet

Great appointment.

Really looking forward to seeing where he brings us. He had a funny start at Leinster but he certainly did his stuff at the business end of the season and may also do it again this season.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Quote from: muppet on April 29, 2013, 12:50:00 PM
Great appointment.

Really looking forward to seeing where he brings us. He had a funny start at Leinster but he certainly did his stuff at the business end of the season and may also do it again this season.

George Hook made an eejit out of himself over that start as for the appointment

#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

All evidence points to Schmidt being the right man, though perhaps getting the job a year later than he should have.

Someone was annoyed earlier on the topic about Schmidt's candid comments about the Paul O'Connell incident.
That sort of straight shooting is standard in the Southern hemisphere. They don't yerra, so we'd better get used to it.

It will be a big change from Declan Kidney, who was some man for the evasive interviews.
Every defeat regardless of misfortunate, abjectness or awfulness was blandly described as "they took their opportunities and we didn't". It was always about having to "looking at the video and learning where we went wrong"....4 years into the job!