The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

If he intended to do that, he should be in jail. If he didn't, it was still completely reckless. I don't know the exact rules  . . .sorry, 'Laws' of rugby, but if the red card for Sam Warburton in the World Cup semi-final is anything to go by then there is clearly some duty of care on players for those around them.

johnneycool

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 17, 2013, 11:17:31 AM
It was a cover up. A simple disgrace. O'Connell should have been cited period, while I agree there was no intent it was reckless, dangerous and stupid.

David Kearney is still in hospital.

How do you mean there was no intent?

He had to know his boot was going to come into contact with the lads head considering where it was in relation to the ball and O'Connells direction of running.

Reckless is being kind IMO

highorlow

QuoteOf course he's anti munster, he's Leinster manager for Christ's sake!

I'm still trying to make sense of that.

The ball was close to Kearney's head. There is no rule against challenging for the ball. It was unfortunate that O'Connell's shin made slight contact with Kearneys head.

Whether you think it was reckless or not and everyone will have a different opinion is not the point. The point is if the shoe was on the other foot and O'Driscoll was involved I doubt you would hear any snid bullshit comments from the Munster camp.

May Smidth go back to where he came from after his comments for all I care.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

The Burner

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 17, 2013, 11:17:31 AM
It was a cover up. A simple disgrace. O'Connell should have been cited period, while I agree there was no intent it was reckless, dangerous and stupid.

David Kearney is still in hospital.

No he isnt.

O connell should have been cited though in my opinion.

As for schmidt, A little naive on his part to allianate Munster supporters given that he could get the ireland job. Should have been a little more diplomatic.

I agree largely with a lot of the points he makes.

Penney should have kept the trap shut aswell

Dinny Breen

Quote from: highorlow on April 17, 2013, 11:49:09 AM

The ball was close to Kearney's head. There is no rule against challenging for the ball. It was unfortunate that O'Connell's shin made slight contact with Kearneys head.

Whether you think it was reckless or not and everyone will have a different opinion is not the point. The point is if the shoe was on the other foot and O'Driscoll was involved I doubt you would hear any snid bullshit comments from the Munster camp.

Slight contact - he was knocked out for Gods sake.

Joe Schmidt is right to highlight that his player David Kearney is still in hospital yet the perpetrator is deemed by an Irish citing officer not to have a case. He needs to stand up for his player and the spirit of the game.

And a bit of casual racism to boot.
#newbridgeornowhere

deiseach

You have to be taking the piss.

The Burner

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 17, 2013, 12:09:37 PM

Joe Schmidt is right to highlight that his player David Kearney is still in hospital yet the perpetrator is deemed by an Irish citing officer not to have a case. He needs to stand up for his player and the spirit of the game.

Again, He is not still in Hospital

Dinny Breen

Quote from: The Burner on April 17, 2013, 12:11:15 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 17, 2013, 12:09:37 PM

Again, He is not still in Hospital

Take it up with Fergus McFadden

QuoteFergus McFadden ‏@fergmcfadden 16 Apr

Nice gesture but don't think he is out of hospital yet... #CarelessCoffee pic.twitter.com/9fOI9aqh79
View photo
#newbridgeornowhere

trileacman

I think this can be traced back to the six nations when cian Healy was only given a one match ban for his stamp against England. Funny that Schmidt was not so vocal on player safety in that incident. Some of you may say the incidents are not comparabe, you'd b right, Healy showed clear intent.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dinny Breen

Quote from: trileacman on April 17, 2013, 12:22:11 PM
I think this can be traced back to the six nations when cian Healy was only given a one match ban for his stamp against England. Funny that Schmidt was not so vocal on player safety in that incident. Some of you may say the incidents are not comparabe, you'd b right, Healy showed clear intent.

Completely irrelevant, Healy was reckless dangerous, no where near a head, intent does not come into it. He was rightly cited and suspended for 3 weeks and missed 2 games, what would you expect Schmidt to say in that case?
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

highorlow

QuoteAnd a bit of casual racism to boot.

Ye. Smidth did say that the decision reflects badly on "Irish" Rugby. What brought on the Irish Rugby remark?

Hound

Quote from: highorlow on April 17, 2013, 12:46:45 PM
QuoteAnd a bit of casual racism to boot.

Ye. Smidth did say that the decision reflects badly on "Irish" Rugby. What brought on the Irish Rugby remark?
An Irish rugby officer (Eddie Walsh from Connacht) was the man who made the decision not to cite him.

highorlow

Within the Laws of the game, as Kearney is lying on the ground and he has placed the ball he is now out of the game. The ball is now out, his hand does not have to leave the ball. Under the Laws of the game it is Kearney responsible to role away or to protect himself (something you are told U8s). Because the ball is out POC under the laws is allowed to kick it and if a ball is out and on the ground and a player has not recovered it (in full control of the ball) he can kick it. If another player tries to block it and gets kicked that is that players own responsibility. Yes it was dangerous but in terms of the laws of the game he did nothing out of place therefore the citing commissioner cannot cite him as what he did was within the laws of the game. It is a physical sport and what POC did was very careless, you cannot cite him if he has played within the laws. You cannot just make up a laws after the game and tell someone they broke it.

Smidth of all people should know this and his reaction was unprofessional and lacked judgement and this is why I was so angry with him. My opinion of him has diminished as a result and I hope he doesn't land the Irish job.

p.s. The ref on the day was not Irish, I presume the linesmen weren't either.