The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2013, 03:16:41 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on March 26, 2013, 12:35:38 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on March 26, 2013, 12:29:15 PM
Luke Fitzgerald on way to Munster..http://t.co/Ia8fZSe9uX

Well if he is given time to regain his fitness he'll be a serious signing for Munster. The Leinster conveyor belt of back talent will be severely tested next season with loss of Fitzgerald , Conway , Carr and the retiring Nacewa :o. Outside of Dave Kearney I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who will make a breakthrough for Leinster next year? Maybe Niall Morris might make a speedy return from Leicester?

All a load of bollix, Luke going no where - should have cut him lose

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/9558.php#.UVG7UFdRqvh

Munster have a history of leaking signings before they have actually sealed them as I seem to remember a lot of blog  stories pooping up about Tommy Bowe having signed before he eventually signed for Ulster! Reflects bad overall on Munster especially when trying to sign a player from a fellow province.

Dinny Breen

Michael Keating plays with Doncaster Knights, was top try scorer last year for them. Broke his collar bone last Sept so should be back playing and I just checked, he scored 3 tries in his last game against Leeds. You've also got Shane Monahan with Gloucester as well.

Quote from: Declan on March 26, 2013, 03:25:58 PM
QuoteLuke going no where - should have cut him lose

Do you not rate him dinny or is it the injuries?
His try scoring record is just not good enough, all came too soon too early for him, never had to work to achieve. All these injuries, he reminds of Diaby for Arsenal. We'll never see the best of him.
#newbridgeornowhere

Crete Boom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2013, 03:39:40 PM
Michael Keating plays with Doncaster Knights, was top try scorer last year for them. Broke his collar bone last Sept so should be back playing and I just checked, he scored 3 tries in his last game against Leeds. You've also got Shane Monahan with Gloucester as well.

Quote from: Declan on March 26, 2013, 03:25:58 PM
QuoteLuke going no where - should have cut him lose

Do you not rate him dinny or is it the injuries?
His try scoring record is just not good enough, all came too soon too early for him, never had to work to achieve. All these injuries, he reminds of Diaby for Arsenal. We'll never see the best of him.

Good to see Keating hasn't been lost to the pro game as he doesn't seem to have lost his instinct for the try line.Maybe one to come through the unconventional route to top level rugby! Shane Monaghan I like and I was dissapointed Connacht didn't try to hang on to him for longer because he show a lot of ability with the limited appreances he had for us but sure you can't have them all ( or many at all in our case ;)).
Fitzy did seem to get it all too soon and he has gone through a serious dip in form which couldn't just be totally blamed on his injuries but he is still a serious talent and maybe a move away from Leinster would do him good although personally I don't think Munster right now would have been the best move for him either.

trileacman

Ye seem to be a post missing there dinny!  :P
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dinny Breen

Quote from: trileacman on March 26, 2013, 04:50:13 PM
Ye seem to be a post missing there dinny!  :P

The context had gone  8)
#newbridgeornowhere

hows she cutting

Declan

See that - Kiss is interim coach for American tour in summer with Smal and Foley on the ticket

orangeman

Who is on the National Team Review Group ?

Declan Kidney's tenure as Ireland head coach has come to an end.

The IRFU announced this afternoon that it would not be renewing his contract - Les Kiss will take charge of the summer tour to North America.

Kidney's contract was due to expire on 30 June but the IRFU issued a statement this afternoon saying that his role as head coach ceases today.

"We would like to sincerely thank Declan for his commitment to Irish Rugby" - Philip Browne

IRFU chief executive Philip Browne said: "We would like to sincerely thank Declan for his commitment to Irish Rugby.

"His contribution and involvement across the spectrum of Irish rugby delivered Under Age, Provincial, Grand Slam and Triple Crown success, and epitomises his passion, belief and commitment to the game.

"With a host of new and emerging talent at every level, and despite the clear challenges ahead, we are confident of securing another world-class coach to work with this talented and ambitious group of players."

The IRFU said the decision was made after a in-depth review carried out by the National Team Review Group.

The group will now begin the process of "identifying suitable candidates" for the job.

cadence

Quote from: orangeman on April 02, 2013, 04:49:37 PM

The IRFU announced this afternoon that it would not be renewing his contract - Les Kiss will take charge of the summer tour to North America.

Kidney's contract was due to expire on 30 June but the IRFU issued a statement this afternoon saying that his role as head coach ceases today.

"We would like to sincerely thank Declan for his commitment to Irish Rugby" - Philip Browne

IRFU chief executive Philip Browne said: "We would like to sincerely thank Declan for his commitment to Irish Rugby.

"His contribution and involvement across the spectrum of Irish rugby delivered Under Age, Provincial, Grand Slam and Triple Crown success, and epitomises his passion, belief and commitment to the game.

"With a host of new and emerging talent at every level, and despite the clear challenges ahead, we are confident of securing another world-class coach to work with this talented and ambitious group of players."

The IRFU said the decision was made after a in-depth review carried out by the National Team Review Group.

The group will now begin the process of "identifying suitable candidates" for the job.

the national team review group may well be a hastily convened thing to give kidney a fair appraisal, or make it appear like he's been given a fair appraisal, as far as his performance goes. everyone knows he's getting the road after the results this 6n. i suppose there has to be some semblance of decorum to proceedings before they sacked him.

my own opinion on ireland's woes is that they have become narcissistic, believing in the golden generation media hype bs.. much like eng did for years in the mid to late 90s before that squad got their house in order. a wee bit of humility goes a long way and there was an arrogance about this ireland team that stopped me really warming to them as much as i wanted to. the problem we have is we don't have a large enough pool of quality players to be able to ditch the old lad who's acting like he's hot shit all the time without producing the performances consistently.

i'd rather we lost showing a level of humility rather than think we're top drawer and bemoan the golden generation getting beat yet again, how could this possibly happen to the golden generation? oh, it must be the coach's fault.

players were never good enough in the first place.

gawa316

Who will be on the shortlist?

INDIANA

Quote from: gawa316 on April 02, 2013, 06:36:29 PM

Less Kiss

Less Kiss

and em

Less Kiss

T Fearon

Martin O'Neill.Oops sorry,wrong team that plays at Aviva

tyroneboi

Quote from: cadence on April 02, 2013, 05:55:32 PM

the national team review group may well be a hastily convened thing to give kidney a fair appraisal, or make it appear like he's been given a fair appraisal, as far as his performance goes. everyone knows he's getting the road after the results this 6n. i suppose there has to be some semblance of decorum to proceedings before they sacked him.

my own opinion on ireland's woes is that they have become narcissistic, believing in the golden generation media hype bs.. much like eng did for years in the mid to late 90s before that squad got their house in order. a wee bit of humility goes a long way and there was an arrogance about this ireland team that stopped me really warming to them as much as i wanted to. the problem we have is we don't have a large enough pool of quality players to be able to ditch the old lad who's acting like he's hot shit all the time without producing the performances consistently.

i'd rather we lost showing a level of humility rather than think we're top drawer and bemoan the golden generation getting beat yet again, how could this possibly happen to the golden generation? oh, it must be the coach's fault.

Just to pick you up on this point - really? Who in this Ireland team could you accuse of being arrogant? The likes of O'Driscoll, Bowe, D'Arcy, O'Connell and O'Gara from this so called Golden Generation are in my opinion the total opposite of arrogant - confidence in their ability absolutely but never arrogant about it.

Also to say the players were never good enough in the first place - Irish clubs winning 5 out of 7 Heineken Cups would state otherwise. Yes there were foreigh players playing these teams which undoubtably contributed to these triumphs but they were backboned by Irish players.

As for my own opinion on Kidney i just think he simply went stale. The Grand Slam was a hell of an achievement but after that he took the team as far as he could. God knows who they get as a replacement - hopefully its not rushed and the right man is appointed. In an ideal world Conor O'Shea would be the man but he has ruled himself out.

seafoid

Quote from: cadence on April 02, 2013, 05:55:32 PM
Quote from: orangeman on April 02, 2013, 04:49:37 PM

Looking at it with a GAA hat on, if the players had been from Kilkenny or Kerry with that noblesse oblige mentality they would have won maybe 3 or 4 GS.
It was more like Armagh or Wexford . One title and they knew a few slipped  away. Players learn how to win. It  is not written in stone to always be the bridesmaid.

Seb Coe said it about the Ashes in 05. The Aussies wouldn't have gone around in an open top bus. That is why they win in the last minutes of matches. Ireland were never that ruthless. But there are teams in Ireland that are.

CorkMan

Quote from: gawa316 on April 02, 2013, 06:36:29 PM

Ewan McKenzie is the favorite.