The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: NAG1 on March 20, 2013, 07:46:16 AM
To me there is something inherently wrong with being rewarded for kicking the ball out of play in the first instance no matter if they kick is 10 or 30m its still yet another break in play but that is a fundamental problem I have with the game personally.

The rule used to be that from a penalty which was kicked to touch the defending team would get the lineout. That was a definitely a change that was for the better, although I miss the conga that was contested lineouts.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: thewobbler on March 20, 2013, 08:00:57 AM
To me there is something inherently wrong with being rewarded for kicking the ball out of play in the first instance no matter if they kick is 10 or 30m its still yet another break in play but that is a fundamental problem I have with the game personally.
Disagree. For me, the beauty of rugby union(compared to league) is the tactical emphasis on field position as well as possession. It's not kicking the ball out of play, it's kicking for position. League suffers in comparison as a spectacle, simply because it is a monotonously repetitive game.
Rugby league has gone backwards since the 90's in terms of entertainment alright, but the last rugby union World Cup and the six nations gone past were as monotonous if not more monotonous and boring.
Watching Ireland, England and France is frustrating as they under perform all the time.
I only enjoy watching wales these past few years- though they were pants before Christmas and in the first half of the game v us.
Not sure if even the tri nations teams are that hot these days.
The pacific islands are fantastic in open attacking play but won't prosper as they lack a kicking and tactical game. Great to watch though.
Less players on the field, more points for a try, effectively uncontested scrums a la rugby league where they just fulfil the function of restarting a game may be the only way forward.
Clearing out at rucks and tackling someone in the air need to be eradicated from the game like the tip tackle.
Right now rugby union is as appealing as rugby league was around 1980 - ie horrendous. Without the hype people would be feeling cheated IMO.
Also IMO the Heineken cup is heading the same way.
Changes need to be made!

seafoid

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 20, 2013, 08:17:42 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 20, 2013, 08:00:57 AM
Disagree. For me, the beauty of rugby union(compared to league) is the tactical emphasis on field position as well as possession. It's not kicking the ball out of play, it's kicking for position. League suffers in comparison as a spectacle, simply because it is a monotonously repetitive game.
Rugby league has gone backwards since the 90's in terms of entertainment alright, but the last rugby union World Cup and the six nations gone past were as monotonous if not more monotonous and boring.
Watching Ireland, England and France is frustrating as they under perform all the time.
I only enjoy watching wales these past few years- though they were pants before Christmas and in the first half of the game v us.
Not sure if even the tri nations teams are that hot these days.
The pacific islands are fantastic in open attacking play but won't prosper as they lack a kicking and tactical game. Great to watch though.
Less players on the field, more points for a try, effectively uncontested scrums a la rugby league where they just fulfil the function of restarting a game may be the only way forward.
Clearing out at rucks and tackling someone in the air need to be eradicated from the game like the tip tackle.
Right now rugby union is as appealing as rugby league was around 1980 - ie horrendous. Without the hype people would be feeling cheated IMO.
Also IMO the Heineken cup is heading the same way.
Changes need to be made!
¨

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/20/props-say-scrum-reform-needed

seafoid

Matt Williams with a really good article

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-need-to-have-some-woshkabomy-in-their-game-1.1337352

The Irish provincial teams play styles and systems that are totally independent from the national cause. To be fair to the Irish provincial teams it is difficult to play an "Irish style" when the national style remains undefinable. On the flipside the Irish provincial teams are also highly resistant to playing a national style of play.

Currently, Irish rugby has the same amount of woshkabomy as an empty pint glass.The time is right to establish an independent review into the systems and processes in the elite player pathway and the Irish national team.

The pathways need to be reviewed, evaluated and a new direction mapped. This is not about sports science. This is about how we produce international rugby players and teams.

lynchbhoy

Lovely ideal - but workable?
Maybe in a small country with 4 teams like Ireland.

My solution would be to hire dean Richards!

NAG1

Interesting comments from Teddy McCarthy on the upcoming WC bid.

theticklemister

Crete Boom

Quote from: theticklemister on March 26, 2013, 12:09:41 PM
What were they

Here it is in the examiner ,
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mccarthy-fears-rugby-growth-on-back-of-gaa-226541.html
I don't think he said any thing too controversial and just seemed to be giving his reasons as to why he opposed the Rugby World cup bid.

CorkMan

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mccarthy-fears-rugby-growth-on-back-of-gaa-226541.html

McCarthy fears rugby growth on back of GAA
Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Teddy McCarthy fears the GAA will make another concession to rugby and allow them to avail of their club grounds.

By John Fogarty

The former Cork dual player was an outspoken opponent of the decision to make stadiums available for a potential Rugby World Cup bid in either 2023 or 2027.

McCarthy was "very disappointed" with Congress's overwhelming backing of Central Council's motion to that effect in Derry on Saturday.

Although he wasn't against Croke Park hosting games and the World Cup final, he argued allowing tournament games to be played at the likes of Páirc Uí Chaoimh and Fitzgerald Stadium was a step too far. Having seen Croke Park opened in 2005 and the latest ecumenical development over the weekend, he now has genuine concerns the next step is club grounds being made available to rugby.

"Rugby is more attractive because of the professional aspect and have taken fine young GAA players like Tómas O'Leary and Darren Sweetnam and they are just in Cork. Where else is it happening around the country?

"What's to stop them taking our grounds? The GAA are telling us it won't happen but who's to say it won't? Rugby is played at a different time of year to Gaelic games, so it is logistically possible.

"You saw the ease in how the motion was passed at the weekend so it wouldn't be a major leap to make this the next step.

"But it was the GAA who had the foresight to build these grounds and pitches. Okay, they may have got grants and the taxman's money but they had the plans.

"Why haven't rugby been able to do it? Why hasn't Musgrave Park been redeveloped or Ravenhill or one in Connacht? They had plenty of time to do it and they still do ahead of 2023. I'm not being narrow-minded. I'm not this old-fashioned guru. The GAA holds a big part of me but I'm totally aware of what goes on outside it and I'm worried what damage the World Cup would do to our game for the sake of getting a few million [euros]."

He acknowledges the GAA will be seen as "the bigger man" from the move and will see redevelopment of their own stadiums at no cost to them. However, he is convinced it is not an adequate enough deal to give rugby such an international platform.

"I understand the logic in Croke Park being made available to the Rugby World Cup as it is only in use x amount of times in a year. There might be gold at the end of the rainbow for the GAA in terms of financial reward for opening provincial stadiums and that can't be sneezed at but surely we're long enough at it to know that we should be rowing our own boat.

"We're 10 or 14 years' out from a World Cup possibly being held here and surely that is enough time for the IRFU to get their house in order and improve their stadiums and build other ones if necessary. But instead they're looking to stage it on the back of the GAA. I hope that doesn't come back to haunt us."

rodney trotter

Crete Boom

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 26, 2013, 12:29:15 PM
Luke Fitzgerald on way to Munster..http://t.co/Ia8fZSe9uX

Well if he is given time to regain his fitness he'll be a serious signing for Munster. The Leinster conveyor belt of back talent will be severely tested next season with loss of Fitzgerald , Conway , Carr and the retiring Nacewa :o. Outside of Dave Kearney I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who will make a breakthrough for Leinster next year? Maybe Niall Morris might make a speedy return from Leicester?

Declan

Ross O'Carroll-Kelly ‏@RossOCK
I'm already dropping Johnny and Isa to the airport. Don't tell me I'm driving Fitzy to Limerick as well. Some focking summer for me. :D :D

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Crete Boom on March 26, 2013, 12:35:38 PM

Well if he is given time to regain his fitness he'll be a serious signing for Munster. The Leinster conveyor belt of back talent will be severely tested next season with loss of Fitzgerald , Conway , Carr and the retiring Nacewa :o. Outside of Dave Kearney I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who will make a breakthrough for Leinster next year? Maybe Niall Morris might make a speedy return from Leicester?

All a load of bollix, Luke going no where - should have cut him lose

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/9558.php#.UVG7UFdRqvh
#newbridgeornowhere

Crete Boom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2013, 02:22:03 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on March 26, 2013, 12:35:38 PM

You do release he has played SFA rugby in the last 2 years. An awful signing if true, as for Conway and Carr, no loss to Leinster, both just not good enough and when you see whats coming through the Academy you can see why they were moved on. Nacewa though is a terrible loss, Leinster's best player over the last 4 years, will be very hard to replace him.

Declan Kidney's neglect of the Munster Academy is really showing now, Downey, Jones, Murphy, Keatley, Conway, Fitzgerald all products of Leinster systems.  It will be a while before it gets better on the producing player front for Munster as Leinster still dominate u20s and u18 Schools and Clubs, the U18 schools team play France today has 12 Leinster players starting.

Niall Morris has signed a contract ext with the Tigers.

Whay every happened to Michael (I think that's his first name) Keating who stared on the wing for the Irish u20's a couple of years back as he seemed to be making a bit of headway then just disappeared? Carr was always going to be backup to the likes of Kearney X 2 McFadden atc.. and he probably won't get the game time he was used to in his first stint at Connacht as you have Henshaw , Duffy , O'Halloran , Vanikulo and Poolman already in situ with Leader , Connor Finn and Shane Layden all vying for a contract coming out of the academy though he will be valuable cover in a small squad like Connacht. I think Conway still is promising now that he is fully fit although he'll have to develope his allround attacking game and the way the Munster backs are playing at the moment I wouldn't be too confident.

Declan

QuoteLuke going no where - should have cut him lose

Do you not rate him dinny or is it the injuries?