The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

This six nations could possibly have been a blessing in the long run. Blooded a lot of new players and still a long way to go until the next World Cup!
That was never a square ball!!

Dinny Breen

A great opening and a great closing that England v Wales match was savage stuff but absolute dross in between.

I met Declan Kidney a few times, nice man, speaks well and intelligently but have never been a fan of his style of rugby and as the rest of the world evolved we have stayed static. He should been moved on after the 2011 World Cup but I think financial constraints more than anything hindered that.

His achievements have been fantastic and a Grand Slam is a fantastic award for a guy who absolutely adores Irish rugby.

It will be interesting to who takes over, this current generation are Celtic cubs, the worse kind of player to coach in my opinion so it will be a difficult job but I want us to move away from this awful territorial, squeeze the space, put-em-pressure game plan.
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

That was an amazing spectacle for Italian rugby yesterday, capping off their best 6 nations in front of a 75k attendance.

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 17, 2013, 10:34:48 AM
A great opening and a great closing that England v Wales match was savage stuff but absolute dross in between.

I met Declan Kidney a few times, nice man, speaks well and intelligently but have never been a fan of his style of rugby and as the rest of the world evolved we have stayed static. He should been moved on after the 2011 World Cup but I think financial constraints more than anything hindered that.

His achievements have been fantastic and a Grand Slam is a fantastic award for a guy who absolutely adores Irish rugby.

It will be interesting to who takes over, this current generation are Celtic cubs, the worse kind of player to coach in my opinion so it will be a difficult job but I want us to move away from this awful territorial, squeeze the space, put-em-pressure game plan.

Glad to see England beat, compared to their old teams these ones are just pretenders, delighted to see them beat. Scrum relies upon driving up at the head and winning frees/penalties, not as strong as statistics would have you believe. Farrell is a kicking only out-half and Barritt/Tulagi are smash artists. If you deny them kicking opportunities or Farrell has an off-day then they offer nothing else. The Welsh are a better/more rounded outfit even if they are not as good as they were under Gatty. I now expect a heavy Welsh contingent at the Lions, Tipuric has probably nailed the 7 shirt. Always liked Cuthbert before North, good to see him deliver through this championship.

I'm not interested in who will take over Ireland, fearful more so. Kidney's tenure ran it's course about 18 months ago but I think we now might not attract the calibre of coach that we need. I expect us to have to settle for our 3rd choice having being rejected/priced out of the best.

Who would you be happy with out of these Dinny? Schmidt - I think will turn it down, Chieka, McCall - unproven, Foley, O'Shea - suggested he won't be interested, Michael Bradley? Any others you lads can think of?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dinny Breen

Quote from: trileacman on March 17, 2013, 01:48:18 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 17, 2013, 10:34:48 AM

Glad to see England beat, compared to their old teams these ones are just pretenders, delighted to see them beat. Scrum relies upon driving up at the head and winning frees/penalties, not as strong as statistics would have you believe. Farrell is a kicking only out-half and Barritt/Tulagi are smash artists. If you deny them kicking opportunities or Farrell has an off-day then they offer nothing else. The Welsh are a better/more rounded outfit even if they are not as good as they were under Gatty. I now expect a heavy Welsh contingent at the Lions, Tipuric has probably nailed the 7 shirt. Always liked Cuthbert before North, good to see him deliver through this championship.

I'm not interested in who will take over Ireland, fearful more so. Kidney's tenure ran it's course about 18 months ago but I think we now might not attract the calibre of coach that we need. I expect us to have to settle for our 3rd choice having being rejected/priced out of the best.

Who would you be happy with out of these Dinny? Schmidt - I think will turn it down, Chieka, McCall - unproven, Foley, O'Shea - suggested he won't be interested, Michael Bradley? Any others you lads can think of?

Irish

O'Shea is not a coach more of a DOR/Performance director similar to David Humphreys and would have no issue with either doing a similar role for Ireland. Bradley is just crap and it's only nepotism that his seen him get any gig in Ireland. Foley comes with a reputation but he needs to gain experience away from Munster/Ireland, a couple of seasons with a super 15 franchise and a year or two in England or France, way too early on his coaching graph. McCall I think would be the best Irish candidate, broad coaching experience and has won things. Deserves at least an interview, his style of rugby is claustrophobic but I have seen signs of more attacking Saracens this season.

Overseas

Schmidt is the people's choice, 2 HECs and a very fluid style with Leinster but he's very hands on and not sure the limited time spent with players would suit. Would like to see him involved but working with Vern Cotter the Clermont coach, they simply play the best rugby in Europe and would love to see could they get Ireland playing like that

Cheika is building the Waratahs back up and I'd say his Europe days are offer. Jake White is doing great things with the Brumbies and could be a option. David Rennie the Chiefs head coach could be worth a punt as well, 3 u20 world cups and a Super 15 title.

So would be happy with a Performance director role for Hump of COS and then maybe a Vern Cotter and Schmidt reunion. If not maybe someone like Jake White working with someone like David Rennie on the ticket.

Hope they get it right.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Could Mike Ruddock be an option?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

seafoid

It was a weird season, really. They scored 23 points in the first half of the first match against the eventual champions and less than 60 in the rest of the tournament.
If there is a new coach there is a lot of quality still there and they will hardly have as many injuries next year.

trileacman

Don't rate Humphries, likewise I wouldn't be overly keen on McCaul but I would understand if he got the call. Would be a great man to blood a new era of players I think. As you say Chieka's is finished as a European coach and is not a contender. Bradley is a dud, Foley is too inexperienced but maybe some day get the job.

Schmidt is the clear choice and the obvious fore-runner. Hope he gets it but I'm fearful. Would Cotter be tempted away from Clermont where he is likely to win this years HEC? Also would he or Schmidt be content with second billing in a managerial ticket with Ireland? Don't get me wrong I think they'd be great but i don't think it's ever going to happen.

Admittedly know nothing about the South Hemp guys so can't pass judgement there. Agree with the O'Shea synopsis, a good all-round rugby guy but I don't know if he has the tactical grasp or decision making qualities that can make or break you.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 17, 2013, 08:47:00 PM
Could Mike Ruddock be an option?

I suppose he would be, won a Grand Slam as coach of Wales but the there was a bit of a rebellion after that by the Welsh players who gave the credit to Scott Johnson (current Scottish coach) and Ruddock was sacked. Has done well with the Irish u20s including some creditable World Cup performances. Also current coach of Lansdowne RFC who will win the AIL this year.

Still based on his Welsh experience would have my doubts but could be a good care-taker for the North America tour this summer.
#newbridgeornowhere

johnneycool

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 17, 2013, 01:36:33 AM
This six nations could possibly have been a blessing in the long run. Blooded a lot of new players and still a long way to go until the next World Cup!

That'd be my take on it as well, it may well be a good thing in the long run with Jackson, Marshall, madigan, gilroy and a few in the pack getting a taste of it and if they'd be injected into a more settled team they looked up to it.

That will help with strength in depth in the coming years.

If you think about it, after beating Wales, having a poor game against England but still within a chance of winning it right to the end, not beating Scotland out the park, drawing with a poor France outfit who only turned the screw when Ireland were decimated by injuries and ditto Italy even though Italy looked the better team helped by the three yellow cards, Ireland with a bit of luck and clean bill of health wouldn't be that far away!

It's not all doom and gloom

As for Wales, England, if someone could train a limousin bullock to catch a ball, it'd have a white jersey on it and playing in the centre for England as they've very little to offer other than crash ball time and time again. The Welsh are similar but have just that bit more guile to go with the grunt. It really is turning into rugby league and soon the scrum will be nullified like RL

Walter Cronc

Some great debates here lads. So are you saying that Conor O'Shea has made it clear he isnt interested in the job? Did he say this on RTE? Never seen it as I had to make do with BBC. Can we not credit him with Quins' revival then. If he isnt their hands on coach, who is?? Personally I still really like him though and feel with a strong team around him we could be successful.

P.S Was really impressed with Madigan. His pace at attacking the ball was serious. Something we havent seen from an Irish 10/12 before. I read his kicking stats are quite good also. Very exciting player!!

trileacman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21595705

O'Shea distancing himself from the job, also note he is director of rugby and not head coach.

seafoid

Interesting English perspective on Irish team- not as bad as the table would suggest....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/mar/17/british-lions-irish-six-nations

ludermor

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/18/ireland-lowest-ever-irb-rankings

Ireland have slipped to their lowest position since the International Rugby Board's world rankings were launched in 2003.

Ireland's Six Nations defeat against Italy in Rome on Saturday meant they finished fifth in the championship, just above France on points difference. It also meant they dropped two places to ninth – behind Samoa and Argentina – on the latest rankings list published by the IRB on Monday. France, meanwhile, remain in sixth spot.

The Six Nations champions Wales stay fifth, just 0.36 points behind fourth-placed England, who they crushed 30-3 in Cardiff two days ago. Elsewhere, Scotland lie 10th, with an unchanged top three of New Zealand, South Africa and Australia.