The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

JJ Hanrahan will be the successor to Sexton when he is done.Jackson will be forgotten about soon enough.-

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 28, 2013, 06:29:12 PM
JJ Hanrahan will be the successor to Sexton when he is done.Jackson will be forgotten about soon enough.-

Very exciting player! If anything Ireland u20s were better last year when he took over the out half position from Jackson. Does he kick for Munster?? Needs game time though.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 28, 2013, 08:01:12 PM

Very exciting player! If anything Ireland u20s were better last year when he took over the out half position from Jackson. Does he kick for Munster?? Needs game time though.

No , O Gara or Ian Keatley kick with Munster.

Healy available for the French game, and Sexton might make it aswell http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/healy-reprieve-boosts-beleaguered-ireland-for-france-test-224054.html

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 28, 2013, 08:12:59 PM

Healy available for the French game, and Sexton might make it aswell http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/healy-reprieve-boosts-beleaguered-ireland-for-france-test-224054.html

Keatley simply isn't good enough. Offers nothing. Therein lies the problem with Irish rugby. Hanrahan should be fast tracked to be ready for international rugby. It's as much a provincial issue as it is national.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 28, 2013, 08:24:50 PM

Keatley simply isn't good enough. Offers nothing. Therein lies the problem with Irish rugby. Hanrahan should be fast tracked to be ready for international rugby. It's as much a provincial issue as it is national.

To be honest I think Keatley is a very versatile player. He has played Full back with Munster this season. Oviously hard for him to get a regular run in his best position at Fly Half with O Gara still around.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 28, 2013, 08:41:03 PM

To be honest I think Keatley is a very versatile player. He has played Full back with Munster this season. Oviously hard for him to get a regular run in his best position at Fly Half with O Gara still around.

Seen him at Ravenhill last year. Doesn't threaten the opposition as he is slow and his kicking isn't great!

moysider

Quote from: snoopdog on February 28, 2013, 12:26:57 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 28, 2013, 10:08:57 AM
Not an expert on Rugby by any means, but I have a number of thoughts or questions on this. Firstly why would the Captain insist that a youngster starting his first 6 nations match kick to the posts from an acute angle on his weaker side, why not kick for touch. Why then when presented with kickable penalties from the other side kick for touch when you know your lineup is shite and Rory Best couldn't have hit a dart board from 2 feet the way he was throwing. Why not develop and carry 2 or 3 kickers as other teams do and indeed other codes, (maybe Aaron Kernan could be drafted to take the left footers!) to take longer kicks and from left and right. Sexton is a leader on the pitch both vocally and the way he plays, why would his position stop him being captain, Rory Best is a leader even if he did have an off day, or is he too Ulster Proddy to captain Ireland? And finally the flack that Jackson has taken is unfair. I remember occasions when O'Gara missed easier kicks. Jackson was handed a difficult job on Sunday and one his Captain proceeded to make more difficult.

not an expert or do i want to be. Maybe they have the wrong guy as captain. also why would people call for Kidney to go. Is he not the only guy in 60 years to win anything for them. Short memories, the golden era of irish rugby is nearly at an end, they will never produce players like odriscoll etc again.Like i say i know nothing about rugby, just an outsider looking in.

If you know nothing about rugby, why do you make a statement like that then? Why even care?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 28, 2013, 08:45:09 PM

Seen him at Ravenhill last year. Doesn't threaten the opposition as he is slow and his kicking isn't great!

Keatley isn't that slow. I saw him catch and tackle this fella from behind to save a try at Connacht v Munster last Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOk19zYtCxs

And here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RvURBl86c

Walter Cronc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 28, 2013, 10:49:08 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 28, 2013, 08:45:09 PM

Keatley isn't that slow. I saw him catch and tackle this fella from behind to save a try at Connacht v Munster last Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOk19zYtCxs

And here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RvURBl86c

I'm referring to his general play and distribution!

Hardy

Apart from having the acceleration of a five litre V8, he's slow in every other way.

Dinny Breen

Looks like O'Gara's International career has come to an end. Great career he had too. One of the genuine greats of Irish rugby.
#newbridgeornowhere

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 03, 2013, 05:59:58 PM
Looks like O'Gara's International career has come to an end. Great career he had too. One of the genuine greats of Irish rugby.

Agreed, particularly enjoyed his preformance in this game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_T9ktU1_fg    40 minutes in.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

orangeman

Looks. Like it alright.

Not the way he'd like to have went out.

I've no evidence of this but do I detect a bit of ill will between O'Gara and Kidney ?

tyroneboi

Quote from: orangeman on March 03, 2013, 09:02:35 PM

Looks. Like it alright.

Not the way he'd like to have went out.

I've no evidence of this but do I detect a bit of ill will between O'Gara and Kidney ?

Not sure how you would/could come to that conclusion?? In fact many would say its the opposite!