The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

From twitter:

Frankie Boyle Verified account
‏@frankieboyle

Flower of Scotland is actually about a gay Scottish warrior's love for his stepbrother
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 24, 2013, 05:38:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 24, 2013, 05:01:19 PM
It was a bit like watching Waterford hurlers or Galway footballers. Longish period of change ahead.
But you would expect a bit more from professionals all the same. Those Leinster players should have the skill and execution to be capable of beating Scotland.

Yea those damn Leinster players.
Luke Fitzgerald came to a summer camp my young fella was at last year and he was so cool but he seemed to drop the cool at a key moment today.  But those Wicklow footballers are all the same I suppose.

rodney trotter

It was a bit like Barcelona against Chelsea last season in the CL. Barca dominated and had 70% possesion in both legs, but didn't put Chelsea away when it mattered.

Heaslip is too much of a loose canon for a captain.

Stall the Bailer

Only seen the second half, Scotland looked to have a good scrum, lineout, defence and kicker.

highorlow

QuoteIt was a bit like Barcelona against Chelsea last season in the CL. Barca dominated and had 70% possesion in both legs, but didn't put Chelsea away when it mattered.

That's the great thing about our national games, the best teams always win.

The match today proves that Rugby is just Hyperbole. As a poster stated earlier these players are over hyped. That was sinful what Earls was at, clearly going for solo glory.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Capt Pat

I think Earls didn't see O'Driscoll inside him. We didn't deserve to win because we didn't make or take the chances.

seafoid

Quote from: highorlow on February 24, 2013, 08:28:55 PM
QuoteIt was a bit like Barcelona against Chelsea last season in the CL. Barca dominated and had 70% possesion in both legs, but didn't put Chelsea away when it mattered.

That's the great thing about our national games, the best teams always win.

They don't really. Limerick and Waterford hurlers didn't win any all Irelands over the last 15 years.
Rugby is like GAA - the old firm teams  win more than the others. Ireland won a single Grand Slam with that team they had from 2000-2010.
Kerry or Kilkenny or France would win at least 4 where Armagh or Wexford or Ireland would be happy to  win 1.

Seb Coe on the attitude :

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9b3762c0-21e6-11e2-9ffd-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2LrEDj8XU

His reaction after winning an Olympic title in 1980 was to set out to win another one. To make his point, he rather scornfully recalls the open-top bus-ride that was awarded to the England cricket team, after they finally won an Ashes series against Australia in 2005. "The Australians wouldn't give their guys an open-top bus-ride around Melbourne after winning the Ashes. They'd go, 'f**k that – we're going to win it again in two years' time.' "

Main Street

Tony Ward said that Jackson was kicking good with his practice penalties before the game. His real time kicking was atrocious and he probably would have missed those 2 penalties from the 25, that were kicked into the corner. There's no question that Scotland deserved that win, regardless of the possession stats.
The mistakes are now at contagious level, affecting most aspects of Ireland's game and players. In that context, all the new/newish caps should get a free pass from censure.

thewobbler

It's been written a few times already, but the lack of leadership today in a team with 1,000 odd caps was shocking.

I doubt Rory Best will play as badly again in his life, but there's a few of his counterparts who look done. ROG is easy pickings (and rightly so), but Heaslip and O'Driscoll were miles off it today. Kearney too. While I hope Gilroy was injured, for replacing him with a player of literally half his ability makes no sense on any other level.

Jackson wasn't great, but wasn't bad either. It's amazing how nobody in the Irish team can kick a dead ball apart from our fly halves.

Kidney had a very very poor day today.

moysider

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 24, 2013, 09:16:56 PM
I think Earls didn't see O'Driscoll inside him. We didn't deserve to win because we didn't make or take the chances.

What's worse? Not seeing him or seeing him and choosing not to pass?

That was as good a chance as you get at this level. O Driscoll was irate.

Marshall had a chance to put Gilroy in earlier but Gilroy, in fairness had overrun a bit and the pass would have been forward anyway if it stuck. Without doing any more today - with a shite scrum and great Scottish pressure on our lineout - we still should have walked in 2 more tries and won this match.

Still, that would only have been papering over cracks that need to be properly filled.

trileacman

Quote from: thewobbler on February 24, 2013, 11:07:24 PM
It's been written a few times already, but the lack of leadership today in a team with 1,000 odd caps was shocking.

I doubt Rory Best will play as badly again in his life, but there's a few of his counterparts who look done. ROG is easy pickings (and rightly so), but Heaslip and O'Driscoll were miles off it today. Kearney too. While I hope Gilroy was injured, for replacing him with a player of literally half his ability makes no sense on any other level.

Jackson wasn't great, but wasn't bad either. It's amazing how nobody in the Irish team can kick a dead ball apart from our fly halves.

I've seen Best's decision making and line out throwing collapse in previous occasions, mark my word he will be found out again some day, a good all-round hooker but a poor thrower, as O'Shea once said, a pie-chucker.

Heaslip is a lame duck player, an excellent prospect on his arrival into Irish rugby who has slid into mediocrity. Compare to any of the other 8's in the competition and you'll see his true worth, France have two 8's who are superior, Italy 1, Wales 1 and seemingly now Scotland who in Denton could potentially have two.

Marshall is a fine prospect. Baptism of fire for Jackson but he'll get over it. Had a average debut as a 21 year old but outclassed a seasoned pro12 veteran in Ruaridh Jackson who is simply atrocious. Keep the faith.

Thought Kelly Brown was very good today, bar typical Scottish indiscipline. Visser was shambolic, huge disappointment for a player I rated highly.

Earls, ROG and Sean O'Brien made some shocking errors, O'Brien in particular has faded since his initial breakthrough year in the HC and should be worried about his place. The other two simply shouldn't be playing.

Shocking decision making by Ireland, first penalty should have been kicked by a right-footed player. Second could have been stuck in the corner as it didn't suit Jackson on his right foot.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: moysider on February 25, 2013, 12:10:28 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on February 24, 2013, 09:16:56 PM

What's worse? Not seeing him or seeing him and choosing not to pass?

That was as good a chance as you get at this level. O Driscoll was irate.

Marshall had a chance to put Gilroy in earlier but Gilroy, in fairness had overrun a bit and the pass would have been forward anyway if it stuck. Without doing any more today - with a shite scrum and great Scottish pressure on our lineout - we still should have walked in 2 more tries and won this match.

Still, that would only have been papering over cracks that need to be properly filled.

Meh, its a two way street between over running a pass and holding the pass to long. Marshall was as suspect as Gilroy, you shouldn't expect your supporting players to check their runs on an open field break at full pelt.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

NAG1

Do we now see any of the Irish players making it onto the Lions team? Hard to pick even one at the minute.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: trileacman on February 25, 2013, 12:19:29 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 24, 2013, 11:07:24 PM

I've seen Best's decision making and line out throwing collapse in previous occasions, mark my word he will be found out again some day, a good all-round hooker but a poor thrower, as O'Shea once said, a pie-chucker.

Heaslip is a lame duck player, an excellent prospect on his arrival into Irish rugby who has slid into mediocrity. Compare to any of the other 8's in the competition and you'll see his true worth, France have two 8's who are superior, Italy 1, Wales 1 and seemingly now Scotland who in Denton could potentially have two.

Marshall is a fine prospect. Baptism of fire for Jackson but he'll get over it. Had a average debut as a 21 year old but outclassed a seasoned pro12 veteran in Ruaridh Jackson who is simply atrocious. Keep the faith.

Thought Kelly Brown was very good today, bar typical Scottish indiscipline. Visser was shambolic, huge disappointment for a player I rated highly.

Earls, ROG and Sean O'Brien made some shocking errors, O'Brien in particular has faded since his initial breakthrough year in the HC and should be worried about his place. The other two simply shouldn't be playing.

Shocking decision making by Ireland, first penalty should have been kicked by a right-footed player. Second could have been stuck in the corner as it didn't suit Jackson on his right foot.

On the money there trileacman!! I hope Jackson isnt made a scapegoat over this. We've seen how the English media have hyped up then destroyed young players confidence. Matthew Tait springs to mind!! I was watching BBC and never caught the RTE post game analysis. Did Hook hammer Jackson?? Thought our back row was very poor yesterday. Not a fan of O'Mahony at all, offers very little except getting involved in petty fights!!

highorlow

QuoteLimerick and Waterford hurlers didn't win any all Irelands over the last 15 years.

and?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go