The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

BOD, D'Arcy, ROG all now very near the end. Gilroy struggled to impose himself also. Good thing about the Irish international rugby team is that they provide tempting investment opportunities - England at 4/6 early in the game were good value me thinks.

Celt_Man

ROG kicked 2 very good penalties and will be disappointed with the one he missed but from open play I thought he was shocking - so of his kicking was desperate, gave the chase no chance...

Madigan or Jackson have to be looked at?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

tyroneboi

Unfortunately Madigan couldn't be any further from the type of player Kidney likes!! It will be ROG in for the remainder me thinks.

johnneycool

Quote from: tyroneboi on February 10, 2013, 11:19:37 PM
Unfortunately Madigan couldn't be any further from the type of player Kidney likes!! It will be ROG in for the remainder me thinks.

You're probably right and that's the dread as Sexton will be out for at least the next two games with his hamstring if not longer. ROG is now a poor back up, I'd have thought Jackson was still very raw for this level, less so Madigan, but there's nothing to lose now, mid table respectability, but at least try more new blood for the world cup Declan please.

Zebo out for 10 weeks with a broken bone in his foot as well. Will trimble get a recall?

thewobbler

Quote from: tyroneboi on February 10, 2013, 11:19:37 PM

I've never been O'Gara's greatest fan. But I could always appreciate that his ice cool veneer more than made up for his inability to break a tackle, and that he was an obvious weak point in any defensive line.

But his decision-making these days is somewhere between poor and awful, and that veneer is very much gone.  Persisting with him in any form at international level is basically two fingers up to to every up and coming fly-half in the country. It shouldn't be allowed to happen.

nrico2006

Why do Ireland even bother with the Rugby, only are a few decent teams in the world and Ireland rarely beat them.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

highorlow

QuoteBut his decision-making these days is somewhere between poor and awful, and that veneer is very much gone.

Easy to say that but when you have lads like Ross beside him with their hands on their hips all afternoon it doesn't help ROG's decision making.

No man in the 2nd half willing to take on the ball.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Canalman

Actually found the commentary by RTE comical. Akin to the commentary on a state funeral towards the end.
As for the game I thought Ireland played well enough but that England were just slightly the better team all over. No shame in that.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 11, 2013, 09:15:39 AM
Why do Ireland even bother with the Rugby, only are a few decent teams in the world and Ireland rarely beat them.

You know what your probably right. We should just quit and ban all youngsters from playing it  ::)

Dinny Breen

O'Gara was shocking but then why was in the squad? Who picks him? Who has a history of failing in succession planning first with Munster and now with Ireland?

#newbridgeornowhere

Bingo

The BBC panel had it right, was it a great game or a terrible game. They agreed it was a both. If you win those type of games, its great, lose and its terrible. Ireland just made the mistakes first and more regular, which handed England the scores at the right times. Also the changes had a negative affect on Ireland.

O'Gara isn't the future but you can't see Kidney been bold enough to change him.

Also, felt the crowds jeering of the English kicker was out of place when he was on penalties.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 11, 2013, 10:39:59 AM
O'Gara was shocking but then why was in the squad? Who picks him? Who has a history of failing in succession planning first with Munster and now with Ireland?
I assume there are selectors and not just Kidney? Does Kidney have the final say and can he overrule selectors? Can it all be laid at his door?

Main Street

How careless is it to tear his hamstring  when doing some basic running  in the first few minutes?
You'd have to question Sexton's physical fragility or who ever has been responsible for his fitness.
Wasn't it last year he picked up a strain doing a few practice kicks?

Farrell's ability to knock over those long range penalties in the rain, was one major factor out there yesterday.

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 11, 2013, 09:15:39 AM

Why do Ireland even bother with the soccer? There's only a few properly good teams in the world and Ireland never beat them.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 11, 2013, 10:57:49 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 11, 2013, 10:39:59 AM
I assume there are selectors and not just Kidney? Does Kidney have the final say and can he overrule selectors? Can it all be laid at his door?

Kidney picks the squad, selectors done away with soon after the advent of professionalism.
#newbridgeornowhere