The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Hound on January 22, 2013, 04:48:52 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 22, 2013, 03:21:48 PM
Quote from: Declan on January 22, 2013, 12:30:40 PM
Why not wait till he's retired?

Because that is sentimental - he's powers are on the wane and is he really the best 13 in Ireland at the moment? Time stands still for no man as they say - having him in the squad makes the transition easier, also just because he is no longer named captain doesn't mean he can't lead on and off the pitch.
What stumped me was Kidney's rationale - allowing Brian to concentrate on his own game or similar nonsense.

I can only think the real rationale is that he doesn't see O'Driscoll as a certain starter, so this makes it easier to drop him, or to take him off with 15-20 minutes to go. The latter also probably being a reason why Best didnt get the nod as captain, as I think your captain should ideally be on the pitch for the last quarter as often there can be crucial decisions to be made.

Personally I still think BOD is a fair distance ahead of Earls (I don't think Kidney rates any of the Ulster lads as potential starters in the centre), so I would have kept him on as captain for the 6N rather than create this disruption. But its up to the manager to pick the team and his centre and wing combinations will be very interesting given we've quite a few playing quite well.

Agreed. I don't see too many Irish centres being spoken of as possible Lions.
MWWSI 2017

trileacman

Quote from: Hound on January 22, 2013, 04:48:52 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 22, 2013, 03:21:48 PM
Quote from: Declan on January 22, 2013, 12:30:40 PM
Why not wait till he's retired?

Because that is sentimental - he's powers are on the wane and is he really the best 13 in Ireland at the moment? Time stands still for no man as they say - having him in the squad makes the transition easier, also just because he is no longer named captain doesn't mean he can't lead on and off the pitch.
What stumped me was Kidney's rationale - allowing Brian to concentrate on his own game or similar nonsense.

I can only think the real rationale is that he doesn't see O'Driscoll as a certain starter, so this makes it easier to drop him, or to take him off with 15-20 minutes to go. The latter also probably being a reason why Best didnt get the nod as captain, as I think your captain should ideally be on the pitch for the last quarter as often there can be crucial decisions to be made.

Personally I still think BOD is a fair distance ahead of Earls (I don't think Kidney rates any of the Ulster lads as potential starters in the centre), so I would have kept him on as captain for the 6N rather than create this disruption. But its up to the manager to pick the team and his centre and wing combinations will be very interesting given we've quite a few playing quite well.

Alot of bull talked lads. Kidney is hardly gonna say "we're putting Brian to stud" so I couldn't give a f**k what "rationale" he feeds a load of news vultures. Likewise it's no disruption not to have BOD with the armband, he'll be a leader on the pitch with or without it. Did O'Connell need a fancy title of "forwards captain" for all those years he marshalled the pack?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

camanchero

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 22, 2013, 12:04:34 PM
Quote from: Declan on January 22, 2013, 11:36:28 AM
Surprised none of our rugger experts have expressed an opinion on Kidney's decision to take the captaincy from O'Driscoll.
Seems a strange one to me

I actually think it's something Kidney got spot on. Widely recognised that O'Driscoll is close to retirement, Heaslip did well as captain in the AI and it's bringing that forward to the 6N. Simple succession planning no?
completely agree. Will ODriscoll last the 6N without getting inj. might bebetter coming on with slower tired defenders and the opportunity to go through the gaps and score- thats what he is best at , even if he has lost a bit of pace.
for me it was either Sexton , Heaslip or potentially Ryan as captain and only Heaslip has the exp.
slightly wary of it upsetting his game though.

ballinaman

Declan

That's the way in a professional game. Talent follows the money

johnneycool

Quote from: Declan on January 25, 2013, 01:38:11 PM

He'll be a better player for it IMO. Getting exposed to better competition week in week out.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: johnneycool on January 25, 2013, 01:46:47 PM

He'll be a better player for it IMO. Getting exposed to better competition week in week out.

That's a total myth. Name me one player that has improved when going to France? At one stage Lee Byrne was in the top 2 full backs in the world before he went. It didn't improve Mike Phillips nor will it improve Jamie Roberts. I would put the recent demise of Wales down to the fact their top players are spread throughout the French league. It is a long and punishing season where players get burnt out. I fear this could be the beginning of an exodus of top Irish players!

the Deel Rover

Hard to blame him. Rugby players careers are short enough and anything could happen injury wise, so in fairness it would be hard to turn down a million euro per annum deal. Good luck to him.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 25, 2013, 01:53:25 PM

That's a total myth. Name me one player that has improved when going to France? At one stage Lee Byrne was in the top 2 full backs in the world before he went. It didn't improve Mike Phillips nor will it improve Jamie Roberts. I would put the recent demise of Wales down to the fact their top players are spread throughout the French league. It is a long and punishing season where players get burnt out. I fear this could be the beginning of an exodus of top Irish players!

Mick O'Driscoll, Trevor Brennan of the top of my head.

That is the myth - French clubs have massive squads and rotate regularly.

I think it's a great move for Sexton, that type of financial security is fantastic. I think he will become a better player for it too. Remember watching him 4 years ago playing for St Marys, didn't think he'd come to much..
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 25, 2013, 02:10:15 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 25, 2013, 01:53:25 PM

Mick O'Driscoll, Trevor Brennan of the top of my head.

That is the myth - French clubs have massive squads and rotate regularly.

I think it's a great move for Sexton, that type of financial security is fantastic. I think he will become a better player for it too. Remember watching him 4 years ago playing for St Marys, didn't think he'd come to much..

I know those two would be quoted! Were they both at the peak of their careers when they went?? Also neither were regulars on the international stage!

He won't even be playing Heineken Cup next year. If he had joined Clermont or Toulouse I could understand it was purely for rugby reasons!

rodney trotter

What about Johnny Wilkinson, he was at his peak when he went after a coming back from serious injury,and his form got him back into the England side.

Bingo

I see twitter is saying two year deal with 750,000 per annum. Massive if true.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 25, 2013, 02:23:47 PM
What about Johnny Wilkinson, he was at his peak when he went after a coming back from serious injury,and his form got him back into the England side.

How many tests has Wilkinson started since joining Toulon? Look fair play to the lad, none of us would turn down the money. I'm just saying I don't believe playing in France will improve him as a player and I do believe if 5/6 top Irish players join him it will have a detrimental effect on the Irish teams performances!

rodney trotter

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 25, 2013, 02:29:42 PM

How many tests has Wilkinson started since joining Toulon? Look fair play to the lad, none of us would turn down the money. I'm just saying I don't believe playing in France will improve him as a player and I do believe if 5/6 top Irish players join him it will have a detrimental effect on the Irish teams performances!

Well he retired from International in December 2011 Walter. He came off the bench in each of the 6 nations games in 2011. I think he had lost his place due to Injury, missed the 2010 test games through Injury.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 25, 2013, 02:34:40 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 25, 2013, 02:29:42 PM

Well he retired from International in December 2011 Walter. He came off the bench in each of the 6 nations games in 2011. I think he had lost his place due to Injury, missed the 2010 test games through Injury.

I think it's more a case of a top player getting over injury rather than the French league making him better!