The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Great to see Gilroy getting his first proper Cap. His clubmate Andrew Trimble didn't even make the 24 man match day squad. Surpised to see Darcy included.

Crete Boom

Quote from: screenexile on November 22, 2012, 01:35:11 PM
Quotebbc.co.uk

Craig Gilroy wins place in Ireland team to face Argentina
AUTUMN INTERNATIONAL - IRELAND V ARGENTINA

Venue: Aviva Stadium, Dublin
    Date: Saturday, 24 November
    Kick-off: 1400 GMT

Coverage: Live on BBC Two/HD and Online, commentary on Radio Ulster, text commentary on BBC Sport website.

Craig Gilroy will win his first full cap after being chosen ahead of Ulster team-mate Andrew Trimble for Ireland's important Test match against Argentina.

Gilroy has been rewarded with the left-wing berth after his dazzling three-try performance in last weekend's uncapped international against Fiji.

It is the only change from Ireland's 16-12 defeat by South Africa at the Aviva Stadium on 10 November.

Jonathan Sexton has been passed fit to take his place at fly-half.

The Leinster number 10 was a late withdrawal from Ireland's replacements for the Fiji game in Limerick because of slight groin problem.

However, Irish management said that had merely been a precaution.

The game with Argentina has added significance as the winners will secure a place in the top eight of the IRB rankings which are used to determine the seedings for the 2015 World Cup.

The losers will slip into the third tier of seeds for the 3 December draw and face the possibility of being selected in a pool containing two major nations.

Ireland: S Zebo; T Bowe, K Earls, G D'Arcy, C Gilroy; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Strauss, M Ross; D Ryan, M McCarthy; P O'Mahony, C Henry, J Heaslip (capt).

Replacements: S Cronin, D Kilcoyne, M Bent, D O'Callaghan, I Henderson, E Reddan, R O'Gara , F McFadden.

Jesus does anyone who wants to break into the team have to score a hat trick of tries??

At the minute I think it's 50/50 for the weekend.

Well at least it's close to our best team available at the moment although if it was me picking the team I would have found a place for in the 22 for Shane Jennings although I have to say Chris Henry is having a great season so far and his robust style will suit the game against the Argies. Still think Kidney could have chanced Marshall at 12 for this one even though he hasn't started a Heineken cup game any time I have seen him he looks top notch and I wouldn't be surprised if he forces his way in for the six nations. Connor Murray isn't playing his best at the moment but Reddan just doesn't cut it at international level and particularly struggles when the pack is under pressure although he is a very good impact replacement when the game opens up. Kieran Marmion and Luke McGrath will be Murray's main rivals next year anyway with Paul Marshall being unlucky that he has probably the best 9 in the world ahead of him at Ulster. Definitely would have Jackson on the bench instead of Rog as well.
    My main worry is the likes of Sexton , Murray and Earls don't look to have any confidence in the attacking game we are trying to play and the coaches seem to have a ultra conservative and out of date straight ahead running game as our default setting. With Zebo Bowe and Gilroy as our back three any coach worth his salt would use this trio to counter at all times especially with a kick only outhalf like Fernandez likely to start for the Pumas. Sadly I don't think we even have a counter attack plan for our back three or if we do we don't use it! Up front we have to be smarter at the breakdown and get Healy, Strauss and O' Mahony to take up the hard yards with the ball in close and move Heaslip , Ryan and McCarthy further out to punch holes in their midfield.
  One last think Ireland ,quick , quick and quicker ruck ball to put our midfield and back three in space rather than shuffling up slowly from deep to be smashed by the waiting Puma backs. Sadly our clear-outs at ruck time look more like drunks leaning against a wall on a Saturday night so I can't see us scoring much apart from penalties or from a set piece move. Worryingly I fancy Argentina to sneak this one by a score.

rodney trotter

O Gara was taking about retiring from International level a year ago. He was a brillant player, but its time to look at other alternatives at this stage. Kidney is probaly a bit too loyal to him at this stage, possibly Darcy aswell although he is a few years younger.

There is lots of very good alternatives for back up for Sexton, Paddy Jackson obviously being one. He is still 20, so lots of time to develop. I think Ian Madigan is a very good player and Ian Keately from Munster.

Crete Boom

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 22, 2012, 04:21:43 PM
O Gara was taking about retiring from International level a year ago. He was a brillant player, but its time to look at other alternatives at this stage. Kidney is probaly a bit too loyal to him at this stage, possibly Darcy aswell although he is a few years younger.

There is lots of very good alternatives for back up for Sexton, Paddy Jackson obviously being one. He is still 20, so lots of time to develop. I think Ian Madigan is a very good player and Ian Keately from Munster.

Agree 100% O Gara has been one of the greatest (at his peak) that Munster or Ireland ever produced but as you said he is well past his prime now. Madigan is a superb instinctive attacking 10 while Keatly is more of an all rounder in terms of tactical  play and a running game but Paddy Jackson is first choice at Ulster and he dominates a game from 10 in a way that all the best outhalfs do although this is much easier when you are first choice in a team that's bang on form! This is why I have him ahead of the other two but that could all change come the six nations and it's good for Ireland to have these choices.

Hound

Delighted to see Gilroy get a run. He looks a really exciting talent. Albeit I think the praise he got for a hat-trick against Fiji was ridiculously over the top. For example I think McFadden would have finished all 3 of Gilroy's trys, but I'm not so sure Gilroy would have finished either of McFadden's (I'm not even sure McFadden actually finished one of them!!). So if I was McFadden I'd certainly be disappoinited that Gilroy has leap frogged him based on Fiji.

The real star of the Fiji match for me was Marshall at centre. Earls on the wing with D'arcy & Marshall at centre might have been an option, although a brand new centre partnership with 2 guys who usually operate at 12 might have been a step too far (I still think that defensively it'd be better than Darce-Earls).

But overall as I said at the start, Gilroy will bring some excitement to the table.  Its great that there's a lot riding on this game, should lead to a good atmosphere.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Hound on November 23, 2012, 10:55:46 AM
Delighted to see Gilroy get a run. He looks a really exciting talent. Albeit I think the praise he got for a hat-trick against Fiji was ridiculously over the top. For example I think McFadden would have finished all 3 of Gilroy's trys, but I'm not so sure Gilroy would have finished either of McFadden's (I'm not even sure McFadden actually finished one of them!!). So if I was McFadden I'd certainly be disappoinited that Gilroy has leap frogged him based on Fiji.

The real star of the Fiji match for me was Marshall at centre. Earls on the wing with D'arcy & Marshall at centre might have been an option, although a brand new centre partnership with 2 guys who usually operate at 12 might have been a step too far (I still think that defensively it'd be better than Darce-Earls).

But overall as I said at the start, Gilroy will bring some excitement to the table.  Its great that there's a lot riding on this game, should lead to a good atmosphere.

Def agree that Marshall was very impressive against Fiji. Looked the real deal and thought he deserved a chance this weekend. Glad to see gilroy in as he is a born finisher. Think Hernandez will target him aerially though. I don't rate McFadden at all, think he engages contact too often when the pass/offload is on. Seemed very greedy against Fiji!!

mick999

[/quote]

Glad to see gilroy in as he is a born finisher.
[/quote]

Even as a young fella :)

On the stroke of half time St Paul's got the games most telling score when corner forward Craig Gilroy goaled to leave the half time score St Paul's 3-5 Bredagh 1-3.

http://www.downgaa.net/downgaa/clubs/stpauls/news/2004/august_u16_wintitle.htm

Celt_Man

This is going rather well!!

Back 3 especially Gliroy looked sharp
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Tubberman

Quote from: mick999 on November 23, 2012, 12:54:37 PM

[/quote]

On the stroke of half time St Paul's got the games most telling score when corner forward Craig Gilroy goaled to leave the half time score St Paul's 3-5 Bredagh 1-3.

[/quote]

Is he of that persuasion? Noticed he wasn't singing Amhrán na bhFiann and just assumed he was unionist.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Wildweasel74

Mr Hook, back tracking as always from his initial analysis, tuh tuh

Tubberman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 24, 2012, 02:49:28 PM
Mr Hook, back tracking as always from his initial analysis, tuh tuh

Saw the headline in his Indo column today and didn't even bother reading it. He's lost himself in his quest to be controversial.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AQMP

Quote from: Tubberman on November 24, 2012, 02:44:19 PM
Quote from: mick999 on November 23, 2012, 12:54:37 PM

[/quote]

Is he of that persuasion? Noticed he wasn't singing Amhrán na bhFiann and just assumed he was unionist.
[/quote]

Let's say, he's not from a "traditional GAA background".  Ireland looked good today though the Argies didn't turn up.

trileacman

Quote from: AQMP on November 24, 2012, 04:44:53 PM

Let's say, he's not from a "traditional GAA background".  Ireland looked good today though the Argies didn't turn up.

He's from Fermanagh?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AZOffaly

All Blacks jersey is manky with a sponsor. Pity.

Orior

How long do the kickers have for free kicks?

Sexton seems to take a lifetime.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians