The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Celtic League started this weekend -Munster hve a left winger called Luke O'Dea who might be worth keeping an eye on. They are hanging on here though - 5 up with 5 to play !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

LeoMc

Quote from: Celt_Man on June 25, 2012, 05:21:43 PM
Turns out you don't need to win game to move up the rankings...

As a Cavan man I vote this system should be used in the GAA...

Cavan would become a Top 12 team instantly in the football and take our place at the very top in the Hurling!!
Are your best hurlers not in Straffen?

Hoof Hearted

Documentary on now on TG4 about Connacht Rugby - The West's Awake
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Capt Pat

I see Earls is out for Munster at the weekend.

I saw Shane Monahan in the highlights reel for Gloucester v Bath at the weekend. He is a former Leinster academy winger. He looked very good from what I saw. Is there any chance of an international call up.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Capt Pat on October 10, 2012, 11:19:20 PM
I see Earls is out for Munster at the weekend.

I saw Shane Monahan in the highlights reel for Gloucester v Bath at the weekend. He is a former Leinster academy winger. He looked very good from what I saw. Is there any chance of an international call up.

No not while he is playing overseas.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Probable Irish team for the weekend

15. Zebo
14. Bowe
13. Earls
12. D'Arcy
11. Trimble
10. Sexton (capt)
9. Murray

1. Healy
2. Strauss
3. Ross
4. Ryan
5. POC
6. POM
7. Henry
8. Heaslip
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Zebo fullback? Interesting. He is good under a high ball, and he can kick, and we all know he has pace and can come into the line.

AZOffaly

Sexton captain? With Paul O'C on the team? Also I'd have thought Heaslip would be ahead in that particular pecking order.

Dinny Breen

I would have Heaslip as captain as well, he is undefeated as Leinster captain but he has a personality that isn't what you would call embracing. Sexton is a bit narky for my liking and has enough responsibilities. Zebo seemingly has never played full-back professionally.

It's a fairly weak looking team regardless, think we will be beat but would love to see Henderson get a run, next big thing in Irish rugby.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

What's the story with this lad that's been brought in at prop? Is he in the squad? Where did he come from, and how is he eligible? Agree re Sexton. Not so much about the narkiness, but I think he has enough on his plate responsibility wise. I've never seen Zebo at full back, but I suppose on paper he would have the tools. Not sure about his tackling though, especially when he doesn't have the touch line to help him.

Dinny Breen

Bent is a bit of a Micko signing, Irish Passport Holder, played professionally in NZ for Taranaki, scouted about a year ago by Leinster but parachuted straight into the Irish set-up I assume on the recommendation on Greg Feek, Leinster and Irish scrum coach.

THP is a problem position and the provinces have too many non-Irish eligible playing in that position, my preference would have been for John Andress THP for Worcester Warriors in the AP. He's playing week in week out but like Ross before him is been ignored because he doesn't play in Ireland and all that goes with that (getting him released etc)

Personally I have no problem with Bent if he gets a game but some awful whinging going on about it and the Strauss selection.
#newbridgeornowhere

Capt Pat

The thing is, the  team won't function without cover at tighthead prop. Some refs won't let a team play without a good one. They hand the game to the team with the best props. Not the way things should be imho but they want the scrum reffed properly. Look what happened when Mike Ross went off injured against the English?

Capt Pat

Who is missing from the Springbok starting 15 again?

Ireland are without Ferris, Kearney, Best and O'Driscoll.

Wildweasel74

Ireland havent the biggest pick for players, 4 provinces is not enough, All players in England playing in the premiership that could qualify for Ireland shout be looked at. Bob Casey and Trevor Brennan were ignored when they played aboard. As for players for other countries playing for us, whats the problem, so what if we pick up an odd south African, New Zealander etc, New Zealand got their pick of the south sea islands, England playing 3/4 South African, 2 New Zealander and a Samoan, in a country with a population of 60million and 12 high level rugby teams. if they are good enough take them. We have very little cover in the front row and some decent South Africans would shore up that area.