Wireless Problems

Started by Mayo4Sam, January 07, 2009, 05:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Lads having trouble with the laptop.
I cant seem to log onto wireless networks, the computer cant find them at all, tells me there are no wireless networks in the area when there is.

It windows message tells me to turn on the wireless switch but searched for this and no sign of it.

Any ideas?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

Some laptops have that switch and then you can turn it on/ off via control panel/ network connections. (Right click and enable / disable)

Is this a new laptop?

i.e. have you ever turned wireless on / off with it via a button before?

Have you a manual?

Mayo4Sam

Laptop is 2 years old, will check for the switch, have never used wireless on it, cheers
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

The Real Laoislad

The wireless switch on my laptop is beside the volume button at the front,I have a Toshiba
You'll Never Walk Alone.

bigfrank

I have broadband internet on my computer this past few years.lately i bought an i touch and need wireless to really get any use out of it.does anyone know that if i buy a wireless router and plug it into the router with the computer(im guessing this is what u do) will i get wireless throughout the house,through walls and up stairs in the rooms????below is a link to argos where they sell wireless routers and would be easy to get!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6757357/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

thanks

imtommygunn

Frank you need to check what kind of broadband you have.

e.g. I have BT ADSL and I have a wireless router/modem in one. If you use DSL(e.g. NTL) I'm pretty sure you'll need a modem and then a wireless router to plug into it.

It'd go right through your house alright. It'd have a weaker signal at the furthest point from the router/modem but that's to be expected.

bigfrank

I am with BT Broadband,thats really all i know lol:)Would that router i picked in the link work?

Bensars

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 07, 2009, 10:04:36 PM
Frank you need to check what kind of broadband you have.

e.g. I have BT ADSL and I have a wireless router/modem in one. If you use DSL(e.g. NTL) I'm pretty sure you'll need a modem and then a wireless router to plug into it.

It'd go right through your house alright. It'd have a weaker signal at the furthest point from the router/modem but that's to be expected.

Quote from: bigfrank on January 07, 2009, 07:53:23 PM
I have broadband internet on my computer this past few years.lately i bought an i touch and need wireless to really get any use out of it.does anyone know that if i buy a wireless router and plug it into the router with the computer(im guessing this is what u do) will i get wireless throughout the house,through walls and up stairs in the rooms????below is a link to argos where they sell wireless routers and would be easy to get!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6757357/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

thanks

If you have the BT wireless hub, you should have no bother linking to it. 

bigfrank

cheers,just hope the connection is strong enough to pick up throughout the house,dont want to have to sit beside the wireless connection,defeats the purpose a little lol :P :P

Bensars

Shouldnt be. I have wireless BT hub myself and was able to connect a psp to it.

Search with phone for the hub, then enter wireless key on back of hub.
check that the BT Home Hub wireless setting is NOT set to 802.11g ONLY but rather '.11g & .11b' or just .11b mode. The iPhone seems to like the .11b mode

When you enter the password for your Wifi network make sure you enter the password using the correct case (upper/lower) and be aware that the iPhone shift key only affects the next character typed, unless you alter the keyboard settings

bigfrank

should i just buy wireless from BT then and not just a wirless router from argos or currys etc??I thought with argos or something it would just be that one payment i wuld have to make for the router?

Bensars

I dont know if they still do it, but you were able to  get the wireless hub from BT for £30 even on the most basic of packages

bigfrank

when u get the wireless hub,how much do u have to pay extra each month or does it stay the same,parents pay for internet so dont want to rock the boat there by gettin greedy lol :P :P