Selective video evidence

Started by cadhlancian, February 23, 2009, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

While not debating the actuall suspension, I find it hard to take the selective measures taken by Croke Park against certain teams. I fhte same thing had happened in a D3 game, there wouldnt be a word, and dont doubt for a minute that they do take place! But because certain teams are more in the "limelight" than others , they suffer accordingly. How hard would it be to have a tape of all intercounty games and have they reviewed every week( make a few steak eaters from Croker earn their corn for once). P.S No video of the Armagh v Laois game?

The GAA

Quote from: cadhlancian on February 23, 2009, 03:19:50 PM
While not debating the actuall suspension, I find it hard to take the selective measures taken by Croke Park against certain teams. I fhte same thing had happened in a D3 game, there wouldnt be a word, and dont doubt for a minute that they do take place! But because certain teams are more in the "limelight" than others , they suffer accordingly. How hard would it be to have a tape of all intercounty games and have they reviewed every week( make a few steak eaters from Croker earn their corn for once). P.S No video of the Armagh v Laois game?

my understanding is that no video of the laois game exists for revision

Leo

Taking a leaf from rugby, have all competitive inter-county games recorded.
The 4th official to have the power to review incidents missed by the referee ( as in "citing" in rugby)
One hearing, sanction as required and move on.
Relatively easy for CP to issue guidelines to each county on the video set-up, to be the responsibility of the home county to record and hand the tape to 4th official immediately after the game.
Fierce tame altogether

The GAA

how many tapes would get eaten i wonder?

cadhlancian

Quote from: Leo on February 23, 2009, 03:23:45 PM
thats exactly what Im saying Leo, its 2009 now, would not be difficult to implement, and would cut a lot of this out I believe

Taking a leaf from rugby, have all competitive inter-county games recorded.
The 4th official to have the power to review incidents missed by the referee ( as in "citing" in rugby)
One hearing, sanction as required and move on.
Relatively easy for CP to issue guidelines to each county on the video set-up, to be the responsibility of the home county to record and hand the tape to 4th official immediately after the game.

Drumanee 1

it would be a logistical nightmare,it's the same in every sport the higher profile teams/players are usually the ones who receive toughest punishment due to them being in the limelight alto more there acting as a deterant to others when they see the galvins,whelans mcmenamins of this world getting heavy sanctions.

Maguire01

Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 03:26:43 PM

I'm sure it's all DVDs at this stage! But maybe it should be the responsibility of the referee's team, rather than leaving it to the home county, where the camera might just happen to be pointing the wrong way at a crucial time.  :P

tyssam5

The video evidence used against Ricey was a joke, the whole thing was staged at a studio in the Nevada desert with a stuntman wearing one of the those widely available Ricey masks from lasts final. Galvin was played by a well known clown from Algerian reality TV.

corn02

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 03:26:43 PM

I'm sure it's all DVDs at this stage! But maybe it should be the responsibility of the referee's team, rather than leaving it to the home county, where the camera might just happen to be pointing the wrong way at a crucial time.  :P

Unfortunate indeed.  :P

Tyrone Dreamer

As mentioned earlier I hate the selective use of video evidence. The gaa in many instances seem to enforce suspensions based on reaction by the media. If the incident was in a different game that weekend or by a different player I think there would hardly have been a word about it. Also has a 6 week ban always been there? I thought it was 4 or 8. Think it means McMenamin missing 4 games instead of 1. Bit harsh for a player to miss over 50% of the league due to a moment of madness which was silly rather than dangerous.

fitzroyalty

He grabbed Galvin's goolies for the whole country (apart from jimmy white) to see. Any player caught doing this live on television would be repremanded, pathetic how some tyronies are trying to victimise the situation  ::)

Maguire01

It was more than 'silly'. Using that logic, the Galvin/Paddy Russell affair was 'silly'. How long did Galvin get?

And if it hadn't happened during the league game before the 2 week gap, he would have missed more that one game, even with just a 4-week ban.

Again, back to video evidence, whilst it might not be ideal, it's a vicious circle - when the evidence is there, you can't ignore it. There are ups and downs in having your county's games on the TV!

David McKeown

Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 03:20:31 PM

my understanding is that no video of the laois game exists for revision

Im sure there is a video of that game. Whilst I agree that all games as far as possible should be videoed, simply because other games are not videoed it does not mean that video evidence shouldnt be used when its available.  A similar problem would exisit if something was missed in a recorded game
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2009, 07:04:13 PM
It was more than 'silly'. Using that logic, the Galvin/Paddy Russell affair was 'silly'. How long did Galvin get?

And if it hadn't happened during the league game before the 2 week gap, he would have missed more that one game, even with just a 4-week ban.

Again, back to video evidence, whilst it might not be ideal, it's a vicious circle - when the evidence is there, you can't ignore it. There are ups and downs in having your county's games on the TV!

I actually thought the initial ban to Galvin was excessive. Again it was a moment of madness but wasnt dangerous. The gaa felt they had to act because he was seen to undermine referee. I think the GAA really need to look at the length of bans. I'd say most county players play on average about 12 league and championship games a year. As it stands McMenamin will miss 4 games which is a 3rd of the season for doing something silly. Seems very excessive. I've no doubt that the gaa wanted to teach him a lesson becasue of who he is and hence the ban is 6 weeks rather than the 4 it should have been.

Tyrone Dreamer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/5210990.stm

Paddy Campbell got 4 weeks for the Enda Muldoon incident which was similar and probably worse than what Ricey did. If Tyrone appeal and turn up with the Ricey and Paddy Campbell incidents on video how are the gaa going to explain and justify the different length of suspensions?