All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Not sure if all that introspection is needed in Mayo.

Despite allegedly having no forwards and coming up against the often touted greatest forward line of all time, Dublin won by a solitary point, which was mostly courtesy of Mayo's keeper gifting them penalty.

BennyCake

CO'C needs to practise frees off the ground. A Michael Murphy or a Oisin would've nailed that. Actually it was same distance as that baldy git Canavans winner in 05.

yellowcard

Quote from: thewobbler on October 02, 2016, 04:29:33 PM

Despite allegedly having no forwards and coming up against the often touted greatest forward line of all time, Dublin won by a solitary point, which was mostly courtesy of Mayo's keeper gifting them penalty.

Exactly. All you read in the media today is how Dublin got everything right and what Mayo done wrong. Proof that the script is dictated by the victors. Mayo were agonisingly close to winning the title but unfortunately they came up against a side that just had a little bit more quality.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: yellowcard on October 02, 2016, 04:50:31 PM

Exactly. All you read in the media today is how Dublin got everything right and what Mayo done wrong. Proof that the script is dictated by the victors. Mayo were agonisingly close to winning the title but unfortunately they came up against a side that just had a little bit more quality.

Not to mention a Referee who got some major calls wrong which coincidentally all seemed to favour Dublin.

INDIANA

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on October 02, 2016, 04:54:13 PM

Not to mention a Referee who got some major calls wrong which coincidentally all seemed to favour Dublin.

Up your jaxe.

yellowcard

I have some sympathy with the referee as Gaelic football has become almost an impossible sport to referee properly but I did feel as though Dublin benefitted from the major decisions. Most notably failure to show Small a red card and also the decision to award a penalty when Hennelly clearly played the ball. He was so embarrassed by his mistake that he didn't even put up an argument but I felt that he won the ball first. The Small decision was more clear cut though and that was the lines mans fault

INDIANA

Quote from: yellowcard on October 02, 2016, 05:04:28 PM

I have some sympathy with the referee as Gaelic football has become almost an impossible sport to referee properly but I did feel as though Dublin benefitted from the major decisions. Most notably failure to show Small a red card and also the decision to award a penalty when Hennelly clearly played the ball. He was so embarrassed by his mistake that he didn't even put up an argument but I felt that he won the ball first. The Small decision was more clear cut though and that was the lines mans fault

He clearly took the man out. Saying else is complete bullshit.

red hander

Quote from: BennyCake on October 02, 2016, 04:36:07 PM
CO'C needs to practise frees off the ground. A Michael Murphy or a Oisin would've nailed that. Actually it was same distance as that baldy git Canavans winner in 05.

Still bitter  ;)

tonto1888

Quote from: BennyCake on October 02, 2016, 04:36:07 PM

Someone mentioned that today and I couldn't for the life of me remember. Possibly because I had my head down praying he would miss

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

The Hennelly decision was clearly the correct choice, Keegan's was a free in and at worse a yellow but there was no way it wasn't a black. Connolly's dive, protestations and the pressure got to Deegan. Cooper's black was correct but seemed a little harsh, it is a silly natural reaction to go for the leg. There was not much in Connolly and Vaughan coming together, the two yellows given were probably ok.
Small should have had a black before he should have got red although that was Coldrick's fault.
Connolly was then lucky not to pick up a second yellow for a cynical highish challenge.

Dublin may have had a second penalty for the barge on McMenamin but it would have been very harsh and there was similar down the under end when McMahon barged into Aidan O'Shea. No complaints with either of them issues.

yellowcard

In fairness to Rochford he didn't say a bad word about Deegan when asked about his performance afterwards, they lost with a lot of dignity and class. Similar to Keegan who congratulated Connolly afterwards after Connolly had done his best to get him sent off.

moysider

Quote from: yellowcard on October 02, 2016, 06:02:14 PM
In fairness to Rochford he didn't say a bad word about Deegan when asked about his performance afterwards, they lost with a lot of dignity and class. Similar to Keegan who congratulated Connolly afterwards after Connolly had done his best to get him sent off.

Rochford must be well aware that his selection blunder was worse than anything Deegan did to Mayo. Which is pity when you consider everything that Rochford got right, especially the best defensive performances Mayo have ever produced in an AI final.
However he is being crucified over the goalkeeping isssue

Gold

I actually agree re the peno. The keeper did play the ball and Paddy Andrews dived. Watch it...Andrews thinks about it and then dives. The awful mistake beforehand took concentration away from what happened immediately after

Connelly clearly dived for the keegan black. Tomas or spillane said it was a clear pull to the ground while the cctv was showing it clearly wasnt....that sorta shit would be laughed out of court. Does no one call these pundits to account?! Connelly dived to get a free and/or a black...simple.

No matter what though, EVEN IF MAYO KEPT ALL THEIR players and even if no penalty was given, you just couldnt see them kicking on and winning....so frustrating because their ddefending and intensity was a joy to watch....they are just missing a go to scoring forward...even if they had Costello, a forward with a bit of pace and scoring threat they wouldve won...even one from b brogan, p andrews, mannion, costello, connelly or rock wouldve been enogh to get them over the line

Decision to bring Andy Moran off was mind boggling. Best ball winner and best baller. To be replaced by a tall gangly player they barely kicked the ball into was madness. He won one dubious free but was slower than slow out to the next ball..that wont win you an all ireland

Would like to see Andy Moran stay next year. Mayos best forward to watch.
Big o se again floundered on tthe biggest stage..winning of ball and pass to keegan was perfect but mayo needed scores, not wides from him down the home stretch. Clutch player he is not
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

INDIANA

Quote from: yellowcard on October 02, 2016, 06:02:14 PM

Connolly didn't do anything in that regard. Keegan did that all on his own- helped by his own team-mates.

INDIANA

Quote from: Gold on October 02, 2016, 06:29:32 PM

I actually agree re the peno. The keeper did play the ball and Paddy Andrews dived. Watch it...Andrews thinks about it and then dives. The awful mistake beforehand took concentration away from what happened immediately after

Connelly clearly dived for the keegan black. Tomas or spillane said it was a clear pull to the ground while the cctv was showing it clearly wasnt....that sorta shit would be laughed out of court. Does no one call these pundits to account?! Connelly dived to get a free and/or a black...simple.

No matter what though, EVEN IF MAYO KEPT ALL THEIR players and even if no penalty was given, you just couldnt see them kicking on and winning....so frustrating because their ddefending and intensity was a joy to watch....they are just missing a go to scoring forward...even if they had Costello, a forward with a bit of pace and scoring threat they wouldve won...even one from b brogan, p andrews, mannion, costello, connelly or rock wouldve been enogh to get them over the line

Decision to bring Andy Moran off was mind boggling. Best ball winner and best baller. To be replaced by a tall gangly player they barely kicked the ball into was madness. He won one dubious free but was slower than slow out to the next ball..that wont win you an all ireland

Would like to see Andy Moran stay next year. Mayos best forward to watch.
Big o se again floundered on tthe biggest stage..winning of ball and pass to keegan was perfect but mayo needed scores, not wides from him down the home stretch. Clutch player he is not

1- it was clearly a penalty. Saying a Dublin player dived only draws me to conclude that you are under the influence

2- Keegan prevented Connolly sticking the ball in the back of the net - that's a black card

3- Andy moran was taken off because Mick Fitz obliterated him.

4- Mayo lost any chance of winning  the game because they changed the keeper . that's the unfortunate reality. And the bottom line. That is the Mayo's management's fault. ironic considering the Mayo players threw the last management team under the bus. Karma is an unusual thing.