Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: iorras on August 04, 2011, 10:34:19 AM
Lads I think we are being a bit over optimistic about the performance of the Mayo backs the last day, that 2-6 could and probably should have been 4-6, Cork missed two very easy chances after the Mayo backs left their respective men and went for the man with the ballball. Now I think this was a tactic, as in they were trying to swarm the man in possession but that's a defensive tactic that's been around for about 10 years now and while somewhat effective, good forwards know it means that someone else is unmarked and try to get the pass in just when the backs are committed. That is what Cork were doing the last day and if we're using the same tactics its what Kerry will do but they will probably be more accurate and we'll be punished.

The reason I say this is because alto of the discussion here is based around the fact that we can do well against the Kerry forwards based on the Cork defensive performance. Cork got 53% of the ball, most of that in the first 25 minutes so yes we did do well to keep them to 2-6, but perhaps not as well as we think when you look at the game again. It was poor accuracy that stopped those other two goals and not great defending. 4-6 against an understrength Cork attack, even if we had managed to outscore them and still win is probably a more accurate reflection of our backline at the moment. that's the way I'd be looking at it. Not trying to be negative but after a few days the result glosses over failings. Watch that game again with the mindset that we had drawn or lost, we might not be as optimistic at the performance of the Mayo backline.
Hi iorras; that's a fine opening post. Welcome aboard.
I think you'll find that very few Mayo lads here are being over optimistic about anything and about our chances of beating Kerry in particular. But there's the length of Croke Park between delusion and hope and right now I am hopeful.
Like everyone else, I slip into "If only me auntie.." mode when I try my hand at predicting the outcome of the game. That includes Canavan, O'Rourke and "Every man, woman and monkey" man; our very own David Brady.
So I think it'd fair to say that all of us are relying on our memories of past events to help us make our predictions for the future. So while I accept all of what you say above is pertinent, I would suggest it's not the full picture. It still  leaves us with a lot of "what ifs" to mull over.
Sure, Cork could have wound up with 4-6 or more; they could just as easily have finished with 1-6 or less. What if Aidan O'Shea hadn't tried to solo into a tackle where he lost possession easily leading to Kerrigan's goal?
I don't see him doing the same in the game to come. Cork were awarded a penalty; Mayo were not. In both cases, the man in possession was fouled and it was down to split second timing and very precise positioning when the ref made up his mind in each case. Either or both could easily have gone the other way. Incidentally, I agree with the ref in both instances but my point is that while luck was with us on occasion it deserted us in equal measure.
Cork could have scored more but then so could Mayo. The Mayo defence fared quite well in each of the previous three games. Some of this could be put down to luck without a doubt. But from Galway to Cork, with increasingly stiffer opposition each time, they have done extremely well.
I'm not over confident of our chances of muzzling the Kerry attack either but I see no reason to start on the Hail Marys either.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AbbeySider

Quote from: ludermor on August 04, 2011, 03:17:31 PM
I ws at the game actually but thats because i live in london so i havent made it to any other game so i suppose that makes me less qualified to comment in your eyes?. You are being very generous in saying Mayo could have won by 15 points, we got absolutely cleaned in midfield and the breaking ball ( and we should be beating london by 15 points in any case!) . But that isnt the issue they played bad and dererved to be critisied after the game in the same vien that they should be praised after a good performance, these traits should not be dependant on whether you go to club games or not. Id say if you went back through the threads you will find very few seriously wanting to omit Moran and Dillon and if they did you shoudl have more sense than to take heed of them.

Mayo had 19 wides Luder so that was where I was picking my margin from.

Comment to your hearts content Luder but I would hope you wouldnt be calling for players or managements heads based on that game, if you were then I would deem you less qualified to call for such.  :P

saffronandblue

Great win for Mayo the last day and was delighted to see everpresent Andy and Trevor have big games.  Still think the subs bench need serious looking at.  I know that Doherty was very lively when he came on and he is a good option, but it is also true that he was one on one with defenders on a few occasions when nothing came out of it.  Varley is not going to worry the Kerry lads either.

Now with my saffron and blue glasses on I would think that Kilcoyne is at least an option as a game changer, is Howley not a more positive option than lets say Keegan and now the big question..........will CONOREEN be brought back.  These are decisions that Horan needs to at least consider.  We still have no big score getter and that's the worry.  With all the great ball that was going in the last day and fellas been marked one on one we never opened up Cork.  I cannot see us beating Kerry without scoring a few goals.

Surprised that Barry Moran was brought back into the panel and then let go again.  Kerry will be launching an all out aerial attack on our full back line the next day and all the pratice that our defenders would get by marking the likes of Barry would have stood them in good stead IMO.

Was delighted with the heart that Mayo showed.  All we can hope for is that the lads will give the same commitment the next day out :)

ross4life

Quote from: irunthev on April 20, 2011, 03:27:39 PM
Little fact here. On the last two occasions that London and Mayo have played in the Championship, Mayo have gone on to play in the All Ireland Final......1996 and 2006

70mins away from possibly making that three in a row.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

blast05

Quote from: ross4life on August 04, 2011, 06:07:51 PM
Quote from: irunthev on April 20, 2011, 03:27:39 PM
Little fact here. On the last two occasions that London and Mayo have played in the Championship, Mayo have gone on to play in the All Ireland Final......1996 and 2006

70mins away from possibly making that three in a row.

And we struggled and were unimpressive in both those games too .... moreso in 96 !

Mike Sheehy

The collective Mayo psyche is a wonder to behold.

Mike Sheehy

What are they going to do about the jersey clash this time ? Since we have a divine right to win the AI I think Mayo should switch. What do ye think ?

Tubberman

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 04, 2011, 07:41:10 PM
The collective Mayo psyche is a wonder to behold.

Enjoy. I reckon you're in for a few twists, subplots and possibly a dream sequence  before the ball is thrown in.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

blast05

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 04, 2011, 07:45:50 PM
What are they going to do about the jersey clash this time ? Since we have a divine right to win the AI I think Mayo should switch. What do ye think ?

'Divine right' ? Remember King Puck is named after a Mayo man this year .... I doubt he'll be shouting for Kerry ! Heres hoping he can influence on the devine right thing !

ildanach

just watched the 2nd half of the game v cork again. Great viewing. However kerry are a different animal altogether. one of my major concerns is that they will try to run at us as I don't think we are as suspect under the high ball as we have been in the past.
I do feel though that we can be a match for them in midfield as long as we get as much of the breaking ball that we did after the first 20 mins of the game v cork, That is the level of intensity and fight that needs to be shown from the off.
I am going into this game more confident that i was pre cork (hoping for a respectable defeat). I don't think that we are at kerrys level yet so i don't think we will win. BUT we were all surprised the last day and maybe we have another level that we dont know about yet!
2 changes i would like to see james horan make would be feeney back in at full back to pick up donaghy and doherty back in corner forward.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

AbbeySider

Quote from: saffronandblue on August 04, 2011, 05:33:13 PM
Now with my saffron and blue glasses on I would think that Kilcoyne is at least an option as a game changer, is Howley not a more positive option than lets say Keegan and now the big question..........will CONOREEN be brought back.

I doubt that Kilcoyne would be brought back into the panel this year but then again you would never know. He would definitely be on my list to bring in next year though as I think he would strengthen the panel and still has a lot to offer.

Trevor Howley is just back from injury is he not? I think he has yet to play a full game so we will see how he gets on this weekend with Knockmore, but I agree; I think he would always be in contention for a spot in the half back line.

Regarding The Mort; I have mixed views. He is a player that could win a tight game for you as I know he has talent but is he a team player or more of an individual? Would a character like that upset things? Can you imagine his introduction in an All-Ireland final a la Stephen O'NĂ©ill for Tyrone?  :D

diehard

We can analyse all we like as to our progress and what happened in any game but the real issue now is what can we do to beat Kerry.
In my opinion it will hinge on three things:
1. How the lads approach the game from a psychological point of view - and I think they will be OK.
2.  Whether we can win enough ball around the middle to deprive the lethal Kerry forward of possesion and give our forwards enough to put up a good score.  I also think we might manage this too.
3. How we cope with the high ball into Donaghy & Co.  I think we can cope with the odd breaking ball and mopping up posession but who is capable of preventing him catching the ball clean?  This is a big threat that we absolutely must deal with. 

iorras

Back to the provincial jersies I reckon, we never play well in them red yokes. The yellow Mitchells jersey that Rob Hennelly was wearing the last day would be even worse, given the connotations of that colour and 2006 and all that. Actually why dont ye stick to the blue yoke ye wore against Limerick? Ye were moving well in that, and we as the underdogs could stick to our traditional green and red. How about that?

On a related but different subject, I've started my research into the enemy by procuring a copy of Jack O'Connors book. I avoided it to date as my good friends around Firies and Castlegregory said "Yerraha, tisnt much of a read" but sure I cant be coming on here and the likes without my research done.
Anyway I'm on page 4, and I've read so much about the hurt of 2005 that I'm allready thinking that we were quiet right to lie down in 2006 and perhaps given that there is so much hurt around from last years quarters that it would be only right to do the same again this year.
Poor Jack, how much hurt can one man take? And Micko snubbed him as well you know!
C'mere, Mikey, whats the story with young Quirke there, is it all really about injuries or is there a bitten of hope there for us bucks to latch on to of  much unrest in the Kerry camp?

ballinaman

Can't see a jersey change. 05 and 06 both used traditional jerseys. Mayo took the decision to change in 04 as far as i know. Don't give 2 shites about what jersey Mayo wears personally as long as the job gets done.

ludermor

Quote from: iorras on August 05, 2011, 11:53:05 AM
Back to the provincial jersies I reckon, we never play well in them red yokes. The yellow Mitchells jersey that Rob Hennelly was wearing the last day would be even worse, given the connotations of that colour and 2006 and all that. Actually why dont ye stick to the blue yoke ye wore against Limerick? Ye were moving well in that, and we as the underdogs could stick to our traditional green and red. How about that?

On a related but different subject, I've started my research into the enemy by procuring a copy of Jack O'Connors book. I avoided it to date as my good friends around Firies and Castlegregory said "Yerraha, tisnt much of a read" but sure I cant be coming on here and the likes without my research done.
Anyway I'm on page 4, and I've read so much about the hurt of 2005 that I'm allready thinking that we were quiet right to lie down in 2006 and perhaps given that there is so much hurt around from last years quarters that it would be only right to do the same again this year.
Poor Jack, how much hurt can one man take? And Micko snubbed him as well you know!
C'mere, Mikey, whats the story with young Quirke there, is it all really about injuries or is there a bitten of hope there for us bucks to latch on to of  much unrest in the Kerry camp?
Im down in tralee for a wedding the weekend before the game and in castlegregory the weekend after the game so there will be some craic for at least one of those weekends. I was in Cork the weekend before the Cork game so ill take that good omen!