Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

So arlene says one culture can not be allowed supremacy over another. How much funding does the orange order get again arlene...

I see in a city council meeting in belfast there was something about crumlin fc and some funding and that vile woman patterson declared they had links with the ira.

Bigotry has never really went away in this place in certain quarters - even with the gfa.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: bennydorano on July 03, 2017, 08:22:46 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 03, 2017, 06:37:52 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/why-an-irish-language-act-would-be-a-total-disaster-for-irish-35887118.html. Excellent article on why an Irish Language Act is not needed and in fact would probably be detrimental.
Good article, I've no idea why Irish has become such a line in the sand issue, are they really going to let Stormont fall (genuinely fall, not fake fall for a few months) over this when there are genuinely serious bread & butter issues being ignored daily. Their other line in the sand - Arlene's departure - soon shifted.

As for Nationalists being second class citizens, if you think like that then it's your own fault as it's a state of mind.

Its not just an Irish act though is it. Its the fact that previous agreements have literally been shat on. Now whether its the DUPs responsibility or the British governments doesnt matter the fact that neither seem interested in honouring a previous deal kind of means there really is no point agreeing to any new deal. I think a 3 year old would even grasp that fundamental point pity it took SF so long to wake up and only after grass roots gave them a ball chewing.

As for your second point this article is from 2 weeks ago NOT 20,30 or 40 yrs ago

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/catholics-waiting-six-months-longer-to-be-housed-than-protestants-in-northern-ireland-report-35844276.html

imtommygunn

Also tonight they now don't have to release donor details from the past but do from now on. Something fishy there. Reckoning is part of the deal with tories.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 03, 2017, 09:17:21 PM
So arlene says one culture can not be allowed supremacy over another. How much funding does the orange order get again arlene...

Let's close down the 6 counties so, as supremacy is its entire purpose.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 03, 2017, 09:20:43 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/why-an-irish-language-act-would-be-a-total-disaster-for-irish-35887118.html. Excellent article on why an Irish Language Act is not needed and in fact would probably be detrimental.
Good article, I've no idea why Irish has become such a line in the sand issue, are they really going to let Stormont fall (genuinely fall, not fake fall for a few months) over this when there are genuinely serious bread & butter issues being ignored daily. Their other line in the sand - Arlene's departure - soon shifted.

As for Nationalists being second class citizens, if you think like that then it's your own fault as it's a state of mind.

Its not just an Irish act though is it. Its the fact that previous agreements have literally been shat on. Now whether its the DUPs responsibility or the British governments doesnt matter the fact that neither seem interested in honouring a previous deal kind of means there really is no point agreeing to any new deal. I think a 3 year old would even grasp that fundamental point pity it took SF so long to wake up and only after grass roots gave them a ball chewing.

As for your second point this article is from 2 weeks ago NOT 20,30 or 40 yrs ago

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/catholics-waiting-six-months-longer-to-be-housed-than-protestants-in-northern-ireland-report-35844276.html
A headline that people will jump to immediate conclusions on, when of course the devil is in the detail and there are multiple contributing factors, before I started reading I'd assumed the following point:

"our experience, members of the Catholic community tend to apply for social housing in high demand areas with low turnover and limited opportunities for further development,"

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: bennydorano on July 03, 2017, 09:53:42 PM

A headline that people will jump to immediate conclusions on, when of course the devil is in the detail and there are multiple contributing factors, before I started reading I'd assumed the following point:

"our experience, members of the Catholic community tend to apply for social housing in high demand areas with low turnover and limited opportunities for further development,"

Well demographics dictate that Catholics apply in high demand areas. Dont think the rehousing of large numbers of Catholics to replace elderly Protestants in certain areas would suit anyone especially not Dodds and McCausland who have been cleverly preventing such a scenario for years

bennydorano

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on July 03, 2017, 10:13:03 PM
So, themuns then pretty much?

Pretty much. In North Belfast there is a signficant density difference in Catholic areas and Protestant ones. But any Catholic crossing the line will not be made welcome, not necessarily by their immediate neighbours but by the guardians of the loyal heritage.

bennydorano

I used to hear Unionists refer to Nationalists as MOPEs and be greatly offended. Not so much nowadays.

Matthew 7:5
You hypocrite! First remove the beam out of your own eye,
and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother's eye.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on July 03, 2017, 10:52:26 PM
I used to hear Unionists refer to Nationalists as MOPEs and be greatly offended. Not so much nowadays.

You should be offended, as this term implies that it is OK to oppress you as long as someone in some other place had it worse.
Where else do you see this, does Simon Harris say that the health service is worse in Haiti, so stop complaining?

QuoteMatthew 7:5
You hypocrite! First remove the beam out of your own eye,
and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother's eye.

Always a good plan to make sure that you are not doing that of which you complain.
Unionists are completely without a sense of hypocrisy though, even for politicans.

bennydorano

Unionist hypocrisy is a given. SF are more your garden variety Charlatan.

Applesisapples

Quote from: bennydorano on July 03, 2017, 09:53:42 PM

High demand because they can't move elsewhere for fair of intimidation.

Applesisapples

A lot of Stoops on here sniping at SF because heir own party make the Democrats in the US look like a well honed election winning machine. Nationalist voters are sick of the DUP's foot dragging on equality and parity of esteem. It is about a shared space where all can feel at home. The Unionists are so stupid that they can't see that this is the only hope they have of securing the union. I here others bleating on about services, these will happen with or with our Stormont. As for the DUP/Cons, DUP have them by the balls so nothing SF do at the assembly will have any influence. The DUP and Unionists generally are the biggest of brass necks hypocrites.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 04, 2017, 09:04:29 AM
A lot of Stoops on here sniping at SF because heir own party make the Democrats in the US look like a well honed election winning machine. Nationalist voters are sick of the DUP's foot dragging on equality and parity of esteem. It is about a shared space where all can feel at home. The Unionists are so stupid that they can't see that this is the only hope they have of securing the union. I here others bleating on about services, these will happen with or with our Stormont. As for the DUP/Cons, DUP have them by the balls so nothing SF do at the assembly will have any influence. The DUP and Unionists generally are the biggest of brass necks hypocrites.

Its not just stoops I think most nationalists think SF were asleep at the wheel for years and it needed RHI and Liofa to anger the nationalist community enough to tell SF to wake up. The DUP have a brass neck because we let them. Until last March nationalists have not been bothering to vote and even in March we only caught up with Unionism some reporters would have you believe that nationalist turnout was way higher than unionists it wasnt they were about level. It also doesnt help that poll after poll suggests nationalists are happy with the status quo. That just tells the DUP to keep doing what they are doing. Nationalists deserve the situation they find themselves in and only have themselves to blame for being dumb. Oh good another month of orange fest to look forward to how ironic that it may require the English medias attention to tone things down a bit.

yellowcard

Quote from: AQMP on July 04, 2017, 10:06:41 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 03, 2017, 09:17:21 PM

I see in a city council meeting in belfast there was something about crumlin fc and some funding and that vile woman patterson declared they had links with the ira.

Bigotry has never really went away in this place in certain quarters - even with the gfa.

That's an absolute cracker from Arlene.  Surely the whole raison d'etre of unionism is cultural supremacy over themmuns??

She will never learn and her arrogance has no limits. The Orange Order, marching, flag waving is all about dominance and supremacy.