The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: sambostar on September 18, 2017, 10:21:30 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 17, 2017, 08:41:14 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 17, 2017, 07:28:17 PM
Nice of RTE to miss the teams coming out onto the field due to their yapping and then to talk over the trophy presentation too.

Maybe it was the above, the short captains speech, or that Dublin won yet again, but the whole presentation/celebration smelled of a Junior B county final win, and not the biggest day in Irish sport.
Was at the game & fair play to Dublin they're a great team to come through in so many tight finals. But the speech from Cluxton was depressing - the most soulless, passionless, uninspiring words from an AI winning captain. He looked like he was reading it off a sheet & wouldn't have looked out of place at a funeral

I remember saying to a couple of Dublin fans after the Tyrone game that Dublin where boring - they laughed at me and said it was sour grapes. But what I was getting at wasn't their ability but the whole package - I'm glad Colm O'Rourke said it last night on the Sunday Game - makes me feel a little better!!! :)

Rossfan

I've seen their public "bash" tonight referred to as a "homecoming"
Irony of ironies.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2017, 10:48:46 AM
I've seen their public "bash" tonight referred to as a "homecoming"
Irony of ironies.

In all seriousness where do you propose the all ireland final bes moved to??

Rossfan

I didn't propose it be moved anywhere, I'm just commenting on the daftness of calling something a homecoming when they never left home in the first place.
It could be called a celebration or reception or the like.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

waterfordlad

Anyone else find it strange that they didn't review any of the controversial decisions during the game? No mention of the O'Gara hand in face incident at all. Normally they love a bit of controversy but last night they were more interested in talking over each other.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: sambostar on September 18, 2017, 10:21:30 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 17, 2017, 08:41:14 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 17, 2017, 07:28:17 PM
Nice of RTE to miss the teams coming out onto the field due to their yapping and then to talk over the trophy presentation too.

Maybe it was the above, the short captains speech, or that Dublin won yet again, but the whole presentation/celebration smelled of a Junior B county final win, and not the biggest day in Irish sport.
Was at the game & fair play to Dublin they're a great team to come through in so many tight finals. But the speech from Cluxton was depressing - the most soulless, passionless, uninspiring words from an AI winning captain. He looked like he was reading it off a sheet & wouldn't have looked out of place at a funeral

Gavin and Cluxton being interviewed together didn't exactly make for riveting viewing. No emotion. Nothing of interest to say. That said I'm sure they don't give a flying one once they win.

Beantown

Quote from: BennyCake on September 17, 2017, 03:18:25 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2017, 03:10:55 PM
Ger Canning is doing his 33rd all ireland.

One way of looking at the history of the human group is that it has been a continuing struggle against the veneration of 'crap'.

Every year I pray he'll announce this is my last.

Please God he'll say it this year.

Was my imagination or did Canning say at one stage that Mayo were coming forward but met by sea of Yellow Jerseys???  I could have sworn he said it

AZOffaly

He did. I can't stand that lad. Only for I was in the In-Laws, I'd have turned onto Sky...

TheOptimist

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2017, 11:08:34 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on August 06, 2017, 10:50:34 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2017, 10:38:52 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on August 06, 2017, 10:34:50 PM
I wonder is Mayo watching. Only team that has put it up to Dublin the last few years but they're not in the top 3.

Obviously not. Who would have them in the top 3 presently?

Fact remains they are the only team that can go toe to toe with dublin. People don't learn.
Also, that isn't a fact. Last year, they went toe to to toe with Dublin and eventually lost.
That in no way equates to them being the only team who can go toe to toe with Dublin this year. Christ, if sport was that simple....

Haha. I'll thank you not to patronise me in future.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2017, 04:26:23 PM
He did. I can't stand that lad. Only for I was in the In-Laws, I'd have turned onto Sky...
Having Dessie on with him only made it worse.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 18, 2017, 04:30:14 PM

Dessie who said within 10 minutes that starting O'Gara was a great decision as Mayo didn't know what to do with him, and then it wasn't working because Mayo were cleaning up in there.

Dessie's a nice lad, but he is not suited to that.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: waterfordlad on September 18, 2017, 03:49:53 PM
Anyone else find it strange that they didn't review any of the controversial decisions during the game? No mention of the O'Gara hand in face incident at all. Normally they love a bit of controversy but last night they were more interested in talking over each other.
The format of the show, where they're broadcasting from the victory banquet doesn't lend itself to negative analysis.

Remember back in 1997 when Ger Loughnane let fly at Eamon Cregan who was back in the studio over his analysis of the Clare-Tipp final? He ended up accusing Cregan of looking after his bank job in Tipperary. It was car crash viewing.

Esmarelda

I noticed that. Hilarious. He also got his usual "big huge kick" line in.

Esmarelda

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2017, 04:32:51 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 18, 2017, 04:30:14 PM

Dessie who said within 10 minutes that starting O'Gara was a great decision as Mayo didn't know what to do with him, and then it wasn't working because Mayo were cleaning up in there.

Dessie's a nice lad, but he is not suited to that.
I was delighted Dessie was there because it meant that Martin Carney wasn't. That's all that mattered.

RedHand88

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 18, 2017, 04:33:28 PM
Quote from: waterfordlad on September 18, 2017, 03:49:53 PM
The format of the show, where they're broadcasting from the victory banquet doesn't lend itself to negative analysis.

Remember back in 1997 when Ger Loughnane let fly at Eamon Cregan who was back in the studio over his analysis of the Clare-Tipp final? He ended up accusing Cregan of looking after his bank job in Tipperary. It was car crash viewing.

Haha anyone got a link to that?