American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

Well, Dez Bryant visited the Browns today. Call me a cynic, but I don't think he really wants to play here. In fact, I think he just wants to be featured on the show Hard Knocks. If he does sign, and Josh Gordon returns, there just aren't enough balls to go around to please them and Jarvis Landry (who's been looking v. good). The Browns have enough issues without the addition of a diva. But if he does sign, he'll have to prove himself. Landry is #1.

Syferus

Landry is just a nickel and dime possession receiver. Bryant is the sort of big physical wideout any team needs, crazy he hasn't caught on somewhere yet even despite a couple down seasons, he's extremely talented. He's going to be on his best behaviour wherever he signs and it's not like he could make the Browns any worse than 0-16..

magpie seanie

Depends on the price. Bryant can't get open so anyone sensible won't pay too much for him. Still possibly a top RZ threat though.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on August 17, 2018, 12:28:01 AM
Landry is just a nickel and dime possession receiver. Bryant is the sort of big physical wideout any team needs, crazy he hasn't caught on somewhere yet even despite a couple down seasons, he's extremely talented. He's going to be on his best behaviour wherever he signs and it's not like he could make the Browns any worse than 0-16..

The Browns may need him. Calloway looks good, but he can't get out of his own way off the field. Gordon the same. Landry does look decent so far, and I think he may have been held back in Miami. He had the lowest YPC in the league nearly. But he looks to have pace, so maybe it was a scheme issue. I read something like his average route distance was 3.6 yards or something.

I think Bryant could be useful for them, and as you say ,it's not going to be worse than 0-16. Hue Jackson surely is gone if they go 3-13 or worse, but if they get 5 or 6 wins and see some green shoots, he may get a reprieve. Bryant would surely help them to that mark.

magpie seanie

Do they need a diva who will sulk if he doesn't get the ball though?

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 17, 2018, 05:12:36 PM
Do they need a diva who will sulk if he doesn't get the ball though?

I think he may get the ball though. Who knows when Gordon will be back, and how long before he tokes himself out of the league. Callaway looks like he is cut from the same cloth. Landry is unproven, although I think he may be good. David Njoku the Tight End was very good in college, but an experienced big target would surely get ball there.

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 17, 2018, 03:18:51 PM
Depends on the price. Bryant can't get open so anyone sensible won't pay too much for him. Still possibly a top RZ threat though.

Bryant turned down a three year with the Ravens because he wanted a one-year-and-prove-it deal so it's unlikely his asking price is going to be beyond the Browns or any team with cap space.

Oraisteach

I do share seanie's concerns, especially since the spirit of the locker room seems quite positive right now. The only thing that stops me from saying "No Dez, no way" is the experience of the coaching staff. Adam Henry (WR coach) coached Landry and Odell Beckham at LSU and the latter at NY Giants, and offensive coordinator Todd Haley is a well-respected no-nonsense coach, formerly of the Steelers. I do agree, too, that if Dez signs he'll definitely be on his best behavior given that his contract would probably be a 1-year rent-a-player deal and thus he'd want to make himself attractive to contending teams when the contract is up.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Oraisteach on August 17, 2018, 06:36:23 PM
I do share seanie's concerns, especially since the spirit of the locker room seems quite positive right now. The only thing that stops me from saying "No Dez, no way" is the experience of the coaching staff. Adam Henry (WR coach) coached Landry and Odell Beckham at LSU and the latter at NY Giants, and offensive coordinator Todd Haley is a well-respected no-nonsense coach, formerly of the Steelers. I do agree, too, that if Dez signs he'll definitely be on his best behavior given that his contract would probably be a 1-year rent-a-player deal and thus he'd want to make himself attractive to contending teams when the contract is up.

I'd imagine Dez's role in the Cowboys All or Nothing on HBO could contribute as well. Over-rated diva who's ego doesn't match his ability.

Minder

There doesent seem to be much of a market for him, he will maybe wait to the end of pre season as WR attrition kicks in
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

Dez is not that good guys. No surprises he has looked ordinary since Romo retired. Not a guy I'd want on my team.

tippabu

Brown's and eagles game last night finished 5-0 to the browns......5-0

Oraisteach

Eagles surrendered 7 sacks and 4 turnovers, I think. Foles looked poor, but they were without a number of key players.  Browns got a bit of a scare when Tyron Taylor left the field with an injured wrist, but he was able to return later.

Syferus

Urban Meyer's 'suspension' and non-apology to Courtney Smith was horrible. Football is still more important than people (and in particular, seemingly, women) despite everything we've seen the last two years. Fûck Meyer and fûck Ohio State.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Syferus on August 24, 2018, 05:40:45 PM
Urban Meyer's 'suspension' and non-apology to Courtney Smith was horrible. Football is still more important than people (and seemingly, in particular, women) despite everything we've seen the last two years. Fûck Meyer and fûck Ohio State.

Meyer did say that loyalty clouded his judgement. I'm sure even the great Syf has been guilty of that before.