Gender Quotas

Started by Captain Scarlet, December 12, 2016, 10:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

This is getting some Twitter action today.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/sports-bodies-face-financial-penalties-unless-30pc-of-their-board-is-female-35286125.html

I just don't see how you enforce it in the case of the GAA. What would you class as the top table ie board of directors?
Most of the positions within the GAA are voluntary so is it not unfair to parachute someone in when another person has given up years to get to a certain level?

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Jinxy

I suppose gaelic games are different to most other sports in ireland, in that we have specific associations for ladies football and camogie, where the administrators are predominantly female.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

tonto1888

I dont agree with this. Im not saying dont appoint women to these positions, just that it should be the best person for the job who gets appointed

leenie

I don't think it's a case of drafting women in .. I'd imagine they've been overlooked. Luckily enough we have a female county chairperson... there is a lot of capable women fit to be at top tables...
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Captain Scarlet

There have been County Secretaries also in the past who are essentially county CEOs before the title existed, so there are women there within the GAA but I still wouldn't be in favour of a quota system.
As was noted too Camogie and LGFA take a lot of women for admin roles who I think would be better served in the GAA body itself whereby some new ideas would be embraced a bit more.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 12, 2016, 11:09:44 AM
I dont agree with this. Im not saying dont appoint women to these positions, just that it should be the best person for the job who gets appointed

+1
"Stercus accidit"

Rossfan

Wait till you have to have at least 5 women on a team :)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

+1111111111111111111111111111111111111

As long as it means JP is forcibly retired.

thewobbler

I truly wish the island of Australia hadn't yet been discovered so as we could now find it, and pack off all the liberal lefties to its giant expanse, where they could implement their vision of utopia, and the rest of us could watch - safely, from afar - while it implodes into a humourless, unproductive cesspit.

These people are in dire need of being clubbed over the head with a salty seal until it gets through to them that equality can only be beneficial for wider society when it is delivered as equality of opportunity and not equality of outcome.

If a female wants to be a leading sports administrator, then I welcome it. But at the very least, they should work their way through the same administrative and political structures as any man, before they can be considered for that position. That means starting on a bottom rung, not half way up, because you happen to be able to bear children.

Rossfan

Australia was discovered by humans  at least 40,000 years ago  ;)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: thewobbler on December 12, 2016, 08:22:17 PM
I truly wish the island of Australia hadn't yet been discovered so as we could now find it, and pack off all the liberal lefties to its giant expanse, where they could implement their vision of utopia, and the rest of us could watch - safely, from afar - while it implodes into a humourless, unproductive cesspit.

These people are in dire need of being clubbed over the head with a salty seal until it gets through to them that equality can only be beneficial for wider society when it is delivered as equality of opportunity and not equality of outcome.

If a female wants to be a leading sports administrator, then I welcome it. But at the very least, they should work their way through the same administrative and political structures as any man, before they can be considered for that position. That means starting on a bottom rung, not half way up, because you happen to be able to bear children.

Until attitudes and society changes and it's par for the course for the best person to be appointed then unfortunately I think we need these gender quotas. There are interested talented women out there who are put off by the local loudmouth or two and the mens club that surround them. Gender quotas will make it more attractive initially and when attitudes have softened a little they can be removed and we can get the best person for the role. At worst we'll double our volunteer options.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

No wides

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 13, 2016, 09:54:48 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 12, 2016, 08:22:17 PM

Until attitudes and society changes and it's par for the course for the best person to be appointed then unfortunately I think we need these gender quotas. There are interested talented women out there who are put off by the local loudmouth or two and the mens club that surround them. Gender quotas will make it more attractive initially and when attitudes have softened a little they can be removed and we can get the best person for the role. At worst we'll double our volunteer options.

Bollocks, it is a complete joke as wobbler said it should be best person for the job, what's next at least 20% gays on the board.  Wait to see the Oscars next year 60% blacks will be the nominees because they weren't represented last year - maybe because they weren't good enough.

Rossfan

I wonder what Province Wobbler and No wides come from ;D

Jinxy

Ulster says "NO!", to women.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thewobbler

It's one of the innate curiosities of liberal lefties that when issuing their demands of equality for everyone, they're quite willing to be pious, intolerant, condescending and even racist, ageist and fattest towards those who don't totally share their views.

Recent examples include the Brexit and US elections. Plus the two comments above.