All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo Border

Quote from: blanketattack on October 03, 2016, 03:50:17 PM
Anyone else think McCarthy's collision with Vaughan wasn't the complete accident the commentators made it out to be?
You're darn right it was no accident. McCarthy should have been carded for a rash and dangerous challenge while Vaughan was still on the ground. And no way was Keegans a black card offence. Connolly goes straight to ground then the ref is swarmed. Foul on Mcloughlin in last 10 mins and play waved on. That's the way it goes.

ballinaman

Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2016, 03:11:50 PM
Stories flying around Mayo today, if one cares to listen to them.
Like goalies only became aware of the switch the morning of the game.

Clarke isn't going back.

Rochford is considering his position.
Sigh. Disappointment with ensuing bullshit. Standard Autumn in County Mayo.

straightred

Anyone else think McCarthy's collision with Vaughan wasn't the complete accident the commentators made it out to be?

It was as accidental as the late hit on Cooper following the goal. Not one but two umpires 5 yards away but neither saw a thing  ???

Ballaghman

Quote from: ballinaman on October 03, 2016, 04:11:14 PM

Clarke isn't going back.

+1 to that. We love to find a scapegoat or some other reason for a loss.
The rumour was going round the morning of the game, Clarke knew at the latest on Thursday, possibly even Wednesday, I have that on decent authority. It was obviously on their mind towards the end of the drawn game even.
As for Rochford stepping down. I've heard the opposite and while that decision will haunt him for a while he'll do everything he can to make amends next year. It was a ballsy call, it looks stupid in hindsight and it completely backfired but Clarke was dicey in the first game so I can see the logic. I still wouldn't have changed keeper though but that's just a fans opinion. Rochford will bring them on again next year, he looks top class. The perennial problem of finding scorers is still there and needs to be sorted if we're to cross the line next year.

moysider

Quote from: Ballaghman on October 03, 2016, 05:08:31 PM

Clarke isn't going back.

The rumour was going round the morning of the game, Clarke knew at the latest on Thursday, possibly even Wednesday, I have that on decent authority. It was obviously on their mind towards the end of the drawn game even.
As for Rochford stepping down. I've heard the opposite and while that decision will haunt him for a while he'll do everything he can to make amends next year. It was a ballsy call, it looks stupid in hindsight and it completely backfired but Clarke was dicey in the first game so I can see the logic. I still wouldn't have changed keeper though but that's just a fans opinion. Rochford will bring them on again next year, he looks top class. The perennial problem of finding scorers is still there and needs to be sorted if we're to cross the line next year.

Yes. Clarke knew on Thursday evening. I assume Hennelly did as well?

Mac2

Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2016, 05:42:25 PM
Quote from: Ballaghman on October 03, 2016, 05:08:31 PM

Clarke isn't going back.

Yes. Clarke knew on Thursday evening. I assume Hennelly did as well?
Hennelly knew much earlier.

NetNitrate

Quote from: Mayo Border on October 03, 2016, 04:10:19 PM
You're darn right it was no accident. McCarthy should have been carded for a rash and dangerous challenge while Vaughan was still on the ground. And no way was Keegans a black card offence. Connolly goes straight to ground then the ref is swarmed. Foul on Mcloughlin in last 10 mins and play waved on. That's the way it goes.

Keegan's was a black card. He took a player out of the movement of play, per the rules that is a black card. A lot of his game is holding players by the neck or holding their jersey. Cynical in the extreme and glad it was punished on Saturday. McLoughlin and Small should have suffered same fate. Not to take what was an enthralling game between two great teams.

Jinxy

Whether it was or it wasn't, Vaughan should have been removed from the field of play immediately.
The Mayo medics have been involved in some of the most high profile cases of concussion mismanagement in recent years.
It doesn't matter whether it's a league game or an All-Ireland final, the player has to come first otherwise all this 'awareness' stuff is just lip service.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: moysider on October 02, 2016, 11:32:30 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on October 02, 2016, 11:18:27 PM
Quote from: blast05 on October 02, 2016, 11:08:06 PM
Good God, i've just watched Keegans black card...... i'm dumbstruck. Connolly dived (he did NOT end up on the ground through interference from Keegan so therefore it could not be a black card by the letter of the law).
Connolly talked Deegan into giving the black card - pathetic
Christ, no sleep again tonight after watching that.

Ciaran Whelan and other ex Dublin players have been working hard for the last two weeks bad mouthing Keegan, it seems to have worked.

Of course it worked. Had to smile when I heard Whelan say that Keegan thing was not a black. When the cup is in the bag you can hand out all the platitudes you want. Job well done Ciarán and co.
While we shot ourselves in the foot again having 2 of the 3 most important officials from Leinster reeks of bad practice. Anybody who imagines that Dublin did not benefit form the big calls need to go and boil their heads.

So Dublin benefited from big calls! What card should have been shown for the sneaky charge on Jonny Cooper after the Mayo goal. A red card?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

WT4E

I thought Connolly would be the one in trouble considering his aggression towards the ref.

Poor form asking for a card too with the hand gesture

Rossfan

Net nitrate  and others need to read the oul black card section of the rule book.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cat and Cage

Quote from: Jinxy on October 03, 2016, 11:48:34 AM
Here is the Lee Keegan black card.

https://twitter.com/Sportstalkdotie/status/782258063302590464

Watch the Keegan incident and ignore him altogether.
Just watch Connolly.
He is not pulled down.
I'm not even all that sure he's being fouled, but the hand over the shoulder probably merits a free-in at most.
At no point does Keegan make contact with him below the shoulder.

That's only part of it. There was a fuller clip floating around that I can't find now, showing the few seconds just before this. Keegan reaches across with his left hand and grabs Connolly's jersey on the chest area, then swings around and we see the rest of the clip you've shown. The whole effect is of Connolly being pulled down. If it was the jersey grab alone, or the clip you show alone, then ok, it would seem harsh.

Even as it was he could well have gotten away with it, fair enough. But I don't see how you can get from there to saying it's definitely not a black card. He was all over Connolly and Connolly went down, he's at risk.

muppet

At the start of the season the management would have picked their number 1 keeper. There is very little between them as shot stoppers, Clarke is probably better coming off his line, but Hennelly is a lot better with his kicks.

Hennelly was then dropped for a couple of bad kickout towards the end of the Galway game, one crucial kick led to the goal. I always felt this was very harsh and would undermine Hennelly's confidence.

Clarke was then put in. Clarke had some very good big moments in games, but made errors that he wasn't making in years past. In the drawn game he made some daft decisions and was very lucky to get away with them. He also kicked poorly.

Many of us were debating the keeper switch in the days between the two matches. Personally I felt that the switch was to late in the season, as it would be hard to know where Hennelly's form was after Beijing dropped and not having played, and that by undermining Clarke at this late stage of the season, we could go from to great keepers to two keepers badly out of form.

However, Rochford and the management had the benefit of seeing both players in training and were in a far better position to assess confidence, form, kickouts etc, than bullshit artists like Joe Brolly. 

It coulldn't have been anticipated that Hennelly would have his worst performance from the tee and generally, in his entire Mayo career.

So in my opinion the switch was no big surprise after Clarke's performance in the drawn game, but with hindsight we all know better now.
MWWSI 2017

criostlinn

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on October 03, 2016, 06:21:43 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 02, 2016, 11:32:30 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on October 02, 2016, 11:18:27 PM
Quote from: blast05 on October 02, 2016, 11:08:06 PM
Good God, i've just watched Keegans black card...... i'm dumbstruck. Connolly dived (he did NOT end up on the ground through interference from Keegan so therefore it could not be a black card by the letter of the law).
Connolly talked Deegan into giving the black card - pathetic
Christ, no sleep again tonight after watching that.

Ciaran Whelan and other ex Dublin players have been working hard for the last two weeks bad mouthing Keegan, it seems to have worked.

Of course it worked. Had to smile when I heard Whelan say that Keegan thing was not a black. When the cup is in the bag you can hand out all the platitudes you want. Job well done Ciarán and co.
While we shot ourselves in the foot again having 2 of the 3 most important officials from Leinster reeks of bad practice. Anybody who imagines that Dublin did not benefit form the big calls need to go and boil their heads.

So Dublin benefited from big calls! What card should have been shown for the sneaky charge on Jonny Cooper after the Mayo goal. A red card?

You are not the first Dub who reckons this was a red. The last few when asked why couldnt really say why. Maybe you can let me know how in the name of god you think thats a red card

Il Bomber Destro

Keegan was definitely done on his black card, a yellow is what is was and Connolly knew what he was at and exacted a little bit of revenge.

Lee Keegan can have little complaints though, he has came out on the right side of wrong decisions an awful lot more than he has been sinned against. The law of averages said he had rode his fair share up until now.

I actually really like Keegan, he's my player of the Championship this season, he's a super player and I thought it was very classy of him last year in being one of the few Mayo players who refrained from throwing their management team under the bus. If Mayo had more guys like him they'd have a couple of All Irelands over the past few years. My only issue is the inconsistent treatment the media give to the likes of Keegan in contrast to other players - primarily Donegal and Tyrone.

I found it quite amusing some Mayo people were throwing a strop at Dublin figures singling him out for the referee to clamp down on him. You should be grateful he was allowed to get away with his actions (in big games, on big opponents) for so long without intense media scrutiny.