All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: winghalfun on September 23, 2016, 12:25:36 PM
Just out of interest, are there many neutrals on here wanting the Dubs to win or am I the only one?

Not many I'd guess - but that's understandable.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

seafoid

Barney would be a great addition to the discussion at this stage
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

There's a lot more hope in the county now than before the last game. Whether or not we will be in for a let down is any body's guess.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 23, 2016, 12:44:36 PM
Just out of interest, are there many neutrals on here wanting the Dubs to win or am I the only one?

I d say the rest of Connacht would be 50/50. Roscommon 70/30 for Dublin.

tommy123

8) 8) 8) 8)i see a few mayo fans with a issue with dublin im in roscommon and i say the dubs never said they where great .its the media who hike all this  rubbish on dublin causing a situation where aggression comes out on the dublin team.i lived in dublin for years and they where so good to me with  fre housing a job and i never met  abuse from any of them . if mayo win on saturday the media especially those  idiots on panel  will be calling dublin a spent force they are finnished and so on they have no respect for any only who is winning on the day. dublin have notting against mayo the papers use all this rubbish to get them at one anothers throat s.remember too dublin just defended themselves like any team would in a rough game .i think too the ref sent  a lad of for a good shoulder charg  it was wrong. mayo have a youunger forward line to win this game ,and i think it could be the sam for them if they calm down and play like they did against  tipperary and tyrone .no need for rough stuff .but i cant see dublin playing with so much nerves again .illgo for  dublin  just because of this ganging up on them by rest  remember too theres hundredsof thounds  country  folk are making a living there  and should therefore respect that befor spitting vmon on dublin shame on all those who do. i wand dublin to win for this very reason . tommy from tulsk roscommon

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on September 23, 2016, 08:07:22 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 23, 2016, 12:44:36 PM

I d say the rest of Connacht would be 50/50. Roscommon 70/30 for Dublin.
I'd say Sligo is even worse.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rudi

A Rossie here, I would always have shouted for Mayo once they got out of Connacht. I admire the teams they have produced pretty much since they beat us in 1985. Their supporters always passionate and not sunshine like the Galway ones. However they really do tend to be the first and last to step on our necks any time we shoot ourselves in the feet, which sadly is far too often in our case. Bad experience with a considerable portion of their supporters at the recent Connacht U21 as well. They really do seem to be preoccupied with us, which is difficult to understand as they have regularly kicked our holes at almost every level for the past 30 years. I ain't proud of it but for the reasons mentioned above I could no longer wish them well, even when they are playing a super power like Dublin.

seafoid

Quote from: Rudi on September 23, 2016, 09:23:43 PM
A Rossie here, I would always have shouted for Mayo once they got out of Connacht. I admire the teams they have produced pretty much since they beat us in 1985. Their supporters always passionate and not sunshine like the Galway ones. However they really do tend to be the first and last to step on our necks any time we shoot ourselves in the feet, which sadly is far too often in our case. Bad experience with a considerable portion of their supporters at the recent Connacht U21 as well. They really do seem to be preoccupied with us, which is difficult to understand as they have regularly kicked our holes at almost every level for the past 30 years. I ain't proud of it but for the reasons mentioned above I could no longer wish them well, even when they are playing a super power like Dublin.
tsk tsk
It was the same in 1798
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mayoffs

The hype Colm O'Rourke predicted definitely hasn't materialised yet. The consensus seems to be that people are pleased that the team came out and finished fighting but there's a nervousness around if this team can go again with the same intensity for the full game. And even at that they will need improve to overcome this Dublin side. If it's a dry evening the Dubs will be more confident on the ball, this could tip the scales in their favour especially in the final 15 mins.
If its wet;  Mayo by 3
If it's dry, Dubs by 4
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on September 23, 2016, 09:29:21 PM
tsk tsk
It was the same in 1798
That Galways were sunshine followers then too?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Quote from: Rossfan on September 23, 2016, 11:31:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 23, 2016, 09:29:21 PM
tsk tsk
It was the same in 1798
That Galways were sunshine followers then too?

Think some oyster festival started in 1798 :)

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Mayoffs on September 23, 2016, 10:58:56 PM
The hype Colm O'Rourke predicted definitely hasn't materialised yet. The consensus seems to be that people are pleased that the team came out and finished fighting but there's a nervousness around if this team can go again with the same intensity for the full game. And even at that they will need improve to overcome this Dublin side. If it's a dry evening the Dubs will be more confident on the ball, this could tip the scales in their favour especially in the final 15 mins.
If its wet;  Mayo by 3
If it's dry, Dubs by 4

And what if it snows?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mayoffs on September 23, 2016, 10:58:56 PM
If its wet;  Mayo by 3
If it's dry, Dubs by 4

I don't think O'Rourke predicted hype.He warned of the dangers of hype getting to the fans and by extension to the players.
Both he and Brolly urged Mayo to concentrate on the next day and to ignore the draw as it's past history now or something like that.
God, Brolly was a revelation when he urged Mayo to go for it. He had real emotion in his voice and he declared that Mayo were good enough to win outright.
Not sure what Spillane said but he talks through his anal orifice anyway at the best of times.
Don't worry about the weather. If it's fine for Dublin it will be equally fine for Mayo's runners and they are faster and stronger than their counterparts. A distinct lack of fitness heretofore has been the downfall of Mayo many times in the past- including last year's replay and the replay against Kerry in Limerick.
The last day, Mayo finished by far the stronger and there's no reason to think they won't do so the next day. Mayo have excelled at quick bursts forwards with one running off the shoulder of the ball carrier and you need a dry sod underfoot to do that effectively.
I'll be more worried about injuries before the game as there is always a chance that somebody or other will pick one up in training.
If Rochy has a full panel, Mayo needn't fear the devil himself.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

This Mayo team don't have it in them to win an AI. You can only bang your head against the wall so many times before it starts to dawn that it just isn't going to happen.

I look at the passes that HB/MF/HFs were providing to the inside men on Sunday and it was eerily similar to the headless passing Mayo were doling out last year in the two Dublin games. And the younger O'Connor wasn't able to influence the game in any meaningful way whereas last year he was the one providing a sense of structure to Mayo's attack.

Mayo as usual played very hard, throwing bodies at balls, the usual stuff. But it was still a very poor quaility game and totally in keeping with Mayo's lack of spark in 2016. Workmanlike will not stick with Dublin if they get a run on you and it really appears that's all Mayo can produce at this stage of the team's lifespan. They've had three games in 12 months to learn those lessons but the fact it hasn't produced fruit suggests it's from lack of ability rather than lack of structure.

Reminds me of this year's Connacht final where we had a chance to win the drawn game but the horse had bolted by the time the replay came around. It could easily be over at half-time on Saturday week.

moysider

That's what I'm talking about.