Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: BenDover on November 22, 2014, 09:29:44 PM
misplaced my main set of car keys yesterday. Can't find them anywhere ffs nightmare. Used the spare today but the open fob button is broke and the manual for lock seems blocked (key only goes in half way). so have had to open the boot and let the young lad climb through and open the doors.
Now rang some num down south (one of those ppl ye call when you lose anything apparently) and the man says they're in an out building - shed being pulled apart 2moro.
What are my options if I can't find the main set of keys?

i would be interested to hear more about this?

GJL

Quote from: BenDover on November 22, 2014, 09:29:44 PM
misplaced my main set of car keys yesterday. Can't find them anywhere ffs nightmare. Used the spare today but the open fob button is broke and the manual for lock seems blocked (key only goes in half way). so have had to open the boot and let the young lad climb through and open the doors.
Now rang some num down south (one of those ppl ye call when you lose anything apparently) and the man says they're in an out building - shed being pulled apart 2moro.
What are my options if I can't find the main set of keys?

Get a tin of WD40. Attach the straw that is on the side of the tin and spray it into the door lock. Repeat after half an hour. Try key in again.

BenDover

Similar to ringing someone for the cure for an ailment. Wife stuck a post on fb asking if anyone had the number. Got it and rang him. Conversion went along the lines of Hi I've lost a set of car keys and his reply was was I've a vision of an out building.

I'd be fairly sceptical of this stuff but I've pulled rooms apart with no joy so if they're in the shed I'll b amazed

BenDover

WD40 worked this morning, good man GJL. No luck finding the keys though

Hardy

Ball Hopper

Quote from: BenDover on November 22, 2014, 11:14:24 PM
Similar to ringing someone for the cure for an ailment. Wife stuck a post on fb asking if anyone had the number. Got it and rang him. Conversion went along the lines of Hi I've lost a set of car keys and his reply was was I've a vision of an out building.

I'd be fairly sceptical of this stuff but I've pulled rooms apart with no joy so if they're in the shed I'll b amazed

The left pocket of a rarely worn jacket might prove interesting...

GJL

Quote from: BenDover on November 23, 2014, 07:45:45 PM
WD40 worked this morning, good man GJL. No luck finding the keys though

Glad it worked. Can't help with the keys I'm afraid.

GJL

Quote from: laoislad on November 22, 2014, 10:32:52 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 21, 2014, 11:15:47 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 21, 2014, 11:08:45 PM
No, when I'm sitting in traffic idle there is no rattle its only when I go to take off.
I hardly ever use my handbrake while in moving slow traffic,unless stuck for a long time I would, and would always leave it in gear and just put foot on clutch and brake or accelerator depending on if I'm on a hill or whatever. A bad habit I know but it's just what I do.
The car almost shakes now as I go to move. It's only being happening last few days.
If flywheel you'll probably not notice anything at idle. Sit at idle and jab the cluth in and if it start to grind and shake then have to assume it's the flywheel.
Tried this today and the car didn't grind or shake or anything. I was able press the clutch in and out no bother and was very smooth.
One thing I thought of but maybe it was nothing but I had to drive through some pretty large floods last week. The water us up near the top of the wheel arch at one stage.
Could this have caused damage?

Fitting 2 flywheel kits today and reminded me of this. How is it going now LL?

LeoMc

Quote from: BenDover on November 22, 2014, 11:14:24 PM

any update, were they in the shed or some other out building?

LeoMc

Quote from: LeoMc on November 21, 2014, 10:40:29 PM
Does anyone know if it is still possible to reregister a car in NI if it has English plates since the DVLA was moved from Coleraine to Swansea? If so how do I go about it?
bump.

GJL

Quote from: LeoMc on November 26, 2014, 02:10:13 PM
Does anyone know if it is still possible to reregister a car in NI if it has English plates since the DVLA was moved from Coleraine to Swansea? If so how do I go about it?
bump.

If it is still on an English log book you post it off to Swansea with insurance MOT and appropriate tax fee and put in a note saying you want a new NI number issued.

LeoMc

Quote from: GJL on November 26, 2014, 02:26:11 PM
bump.

If it is still on an English log book you post it off to Swansea with insurance MOT and appropriate tax fee and put in a note saying you want a new NI number issued.
Cheers, it is £0 tax so it sounds like it wont cost me anything. MrsMc doesn't like the 13 in the middle of it.

GJL

Quote from: LeoMc on November 26, 2014, 04:13:42 PM
bump.

Cheers, it is £0 tax so it sounds like it wont cost me anything. MrsMc doesn't like the 13 in the middle of it.

Is it still on the English book or have you registered it in your name?

LeoMc

Quote from: GJL on November 26, 2014, 05:37:56 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on November 26, 2014, 04:13:42 PM
bump.

Is it still on the English book or have you registered it in your name?
I registered it in my own name when I bought it to get it taxed.

BenDover

GJL, I've a vectra c that is making a popping sound when accelerating up to 30mph or so. Sounds like it's coming from rear passenger side. If I touch the brakes, engage hand brake the popping stops. Car has been through MOT 3 weeks ago and was in garage last week but mechanic couldn't find anything out of place. Any ideas before I return it to garage? drive doesn't seem to be affected but nose beckoning a bit annoying.