Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: snoopdog on November 17, 2014, 03:19:55 PM
Lindsay are horrible to deal with. I got a Mazda 6 of them, would never go near them again. they wouldnt do anything for you.
i bought used and the boot lid went off line a bit, they refused to fix it for free said they couldnt prove it hadnt been hit even though i bought it from them. never again will i darken their door or anyone i hear of going to them.
Aye cnuts. When I said to them the car wasn't fixed properly, they said they could only go by the diagnostic codes etc. but would take another look  ::) More fitters than proper mechanics I'd reckon.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

TabClear

Quote from: muppet on November 17, 2014, 05:06:29 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 17, 2014, 03:36:37 PM
Due to my own stupidity, I reversed into a pillar this morning while heading off to work. :-[ Noticeable damage done to the car. What my question is, would a garage fix the problem or would I have to go to another repair centre? I feel like an idiot all day.

I suspect the latter (bodyshop) would be cheaper.

Have to say parking sensors are the one gizmo on my car I couldn't do without. Obvious disadvantage is that now when I jump in a car without them I either forget I don't have them when reversing or end up driving like someone's granny, looking for a big space, door open. ::)

laoislad

OK having a problem with my car last few days.
Not sure how to describe it but I'll try.
When I'm sitting in traffic and I go to move to whole car starts vibrating.
Its worse when I haven't taken the car out of gear and I go to take off or if I'm on a hill and I am using the clutch and accelerator at once instead of the handbrake.
Is the clutch fecked or what? The car is driving grand other than that.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

LeoMc

Does anyone know if it is still possible to reregister a car in NI if it has English plates since the DVLA was moved from Coleraine to Swansea? If so how do I go about it?

theskull1

Quote from: laoislad on November 21, 2014, 07:50:46 PM
OK having a problem with my car last few days.
Not sure how to describe it but I'll try.
When I'm sitting in traffic and I go to move to whole car starts vibrating.
Its worse when I haven't taken the car out of gear and I go to take off or if I'm on a hill and I am using the clutch and accelerator at once instead of the handbrake.
Is the clutch fecked or what? The car is driving grand other than that.

Could be

When the car's out of gear and idling, is there any rattling going on in and around the engine (your vibrating might be my rattling)? If so the rattling should disappear when you engage the gears if its the dual mass flywheel.

Mine rattled like feck for many thousands of miles before I got it looked at...got to 150k on the clock but that's doing the right sort of miles. Expect 700+ yoyos for the parts
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

laoislad

No, when I'm sitting in traffic idle there is no rattle its only when I go to take off.
I hardly ever use my handbrake while in moving slow traffic,unless stuck for a long time I would, and would always leave it in gear and just put foot on clutch and brake or accelerator depending on if I'm on a hill or whatever. A bad habit I know but it's just what I do.
The car almost shakes now as I go to move. It's only being happening last few days.
Dunno if I'm explaining it well.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on November 21, 2014, 11:08:45 PM
No, when I'm sitting in traffic idle there is no rattle its only when I go to take off.
I hardly ever use my handbrake while in moving slow traffic,unless stuck for a long time I would, and would always leave it in gear and just put foot on clutch and brake or accelerator depending on if I'm on a hill or whatever. A bad habit I know but it's just what I do.
The car almost shakes now as I go to move. It's only being happening last few days.
If flywheel you'll probably not notice anything at idle. Sit at idle and jab the cluth in and if it start to grind and shake then have to assume it's the flywheel.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on November 21, 2014, 11:19:28 PM
You might have a puncture. Take it to your local tyre centre to check.
If not, it's probably a broken brake light.
Make sure you have fuel in and the engine switched on?

GJL

Dunno if I'm explaining it well.

Sounds like flywheel to me. Not cheap.  :-\

If it is not annoying you too much you can let it go for a while until it gets worse.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 21, 2014, 11:15:47 PM
If flywheel you'll probably not notice anything at idle. Sit at idle and jab the cluth in and if it start to grind and shake then have to assume it's the flywheel.
Tried this today and the car didn't grind or shake or anything. I was able press the clutch in and out no bother and was very smooth.
One thing I thought of but maybe it was nothing but I had to drive through some pretty large floods last week. The water us up near the top of the wheel arch at one stage.
Could this have caused damage?

macdanger2

Was looking at a 04 Meriva for the missus this evening, looks like a decent enough car except that there was a small "mayonnaise" deposit on the underside of the oil cap - normally a sign of the head gasket going / gone or would there be any other reason for it??

I drove it for 15 min and then revved it (@2k) for 5 mins and it didn't appear to overheat, didn't get hot enough for the fan to come on.

GJL

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 22, 2014, 08:19:17 PM
Was looking at a 04 Meriva for the missus this evening, looks like a decent enough car except that there was a small "mayonnaise" deposit on the underside of the oil cap - normally a sign of the head gasket going / gone or would there be any other reason for it??

I drove it for 15 min and then revved it (@2k) for 5 mins and it didn't appear to overheat, didn't get hot enough for the fan to come on.

Oil mixed with water does this. Not a good sign. As you say could be head gasket or maybe the oil cooler. I would avoid if I were you.

macdanger2

BenDover

misplaced my main set of car keys yesterday. Can't find them anywhere ffs nightmare. Used the spare today but the open fob button is broke and the manual for lock seems blocked (key only goes in half way). so have had to open the boot and let the young lad climb through and open the doors.
Now rang some num down south (one of those ppl ye call when you lose anything apparently) and the man says they're in an out building - shed being pulled apart 2moro.
What are my options if I can't find the main set of keys?