The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: heganboy on November 14, 2014, 04:58:11 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 14, 2014, 04:53:05 PM
Thats fair...I thought we were just discussing and exchanging ideas on a general level...hence me painting in broad strokes....I didn't realize I was testifying under oath

Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2014, 12:19:21 PM
I don't know what you work at, but in my line of work, if I pulled something like that on a client, I would be looking at about 10 years in jail.

good job you didn't pull that on a client just on a discussion board.

My curiosity got the better of me:  I actually underestimated about half

Securities fraud, also known as investor or stock fraud, covers a range of activities that violate federal and state laws pertaining to buying, selling and trading securities. The most common forms of securities fraud include:
Misrepresentation (presenting misleading or false information to investors about a company, or its securities)
Accounting fraud (manipulating or falsifying books or records to misrepresent a public companies assets and liabilities)
Insider trading (buying, selling or trading securities based on information that is not readily available to the general public)
Securities fraud is governed by both federal and state laws, and legal actions can be brought about by private investors or by a government agency, such as the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Violations of federal securities laws are treated as serious offenses that can carry both civil and criminal penalties. Criminal investigations can lead to felony convictions that carry penalties of up to 20 years' imprisonment. In addition, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD) may impose civil fines against corporations or individuals convicted of securities fraud.

muppet

Quote from: dec on November 14, 2014, 05:49:00 PM
Is whitey Tyrones own? Because the debating style is very similar.

Don't think so, this guy just pulls quotes from GOP fan-blogs. Tyrone's Own had extra ammo in genuine comprehension even if it was always blinded by the same agenda.
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Any thoughts on the decision not to indict Darren Wilson over the death of Michael Brown and the subsequent reaction?

Rudy Giuliano didn't do himself any favours on Channel 4 news last night.

foxcommander

Quote from: gallsman on November 26, 2014, 10:57:20 AM
Any thoughts on the decision not to indict Darren Wilson over the death of Michael Brown and the subsequent reaction?

Widespread protests in many cities over the death of a thief and petty thug who challenged a lawman.
It's not like he was MLK.
I like the rioting and looting they are doing in his memory. Very touching.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

screenexile

Quote from: foxcommander on November 26, 2014, 12:08:01 PM

Widespread protests in many cities over the death of a thief and petty thug who challenged a lawman.

At the same time a lawman can't go killing someone stone dead when they pose no threat to him . . .

deiseach

Could have been written by a Tory toff in the aftermath of Bloody Sunday. There's rioting in American cities when their teams win the the Super Bowl and when they lose the Super Bowl. Strange how that is never seen as the death of civilisation.

LeoMc

I will preface by saying that none of us have seen all the evidence that the Grand jury did but it does seem strange that they did not consider that there was even enough evidence to try Wilson.

From the bits of evidence I have read it would appear there was a struggle for the gun where the first shot was fired and it likely that Brown was not standing quietly with his hands up when he was shot but he was still 135 feet away when he was shot, far enough not to be a threat and far enough away that a significant number of shots missed the target completely. I would have thought there was a case to answer. At least there should have been an opportunity for Wilson to be cross examined on some of the weaker aspects of his story (he was big and scary, I thought he had a gun) to determine if perhaps he was simply not up to the job he was being asked to do or if there are wider issues (racism or lack of resource or simply that Police have lost control of the streets) which need to be addressed.

As regards the protests there were numerous peacful protests from Seattle to New York but riots in Ferguson (why respect the law when it does not respect you) are deemed the more newsworthy, a self fulfilling prophesy due to the timing of the anouncement. They only help further demonise the black population, see Fox news or Foxcommander for evidence of this.

foxcommander

Quote from: screenexile on November 26, 2014, 12:12:05 PM

At the same time a lawman can't go killing someone stone dead when they pose no threat to him . . .

I thought the police officer was punched a couple of times according to the evidence.  One thing I have learned from my visits to the states is that you don't mess about with the cops.

deiseach

Quote from: foxcommander on November 26, 2014, 02:19:59 PM
I thought the police officer was punched a couple of times according to the evidence.  One thing I have learned from my visits to the states is that you don't mess about with the cops.

#ThingsMoreHurtThanDarrenWilson

foxcommander

Quote from: deiseach on November 26, 2014, 02:41:33 PM

If Michael Brown had been behaving himself he'd still be alive. His death is being used by others to further their agenda and stoke tension. If a black police officer had shot him do you think there would be the same outcry and nationwide protests?

deiseach

Quote from: foxcommander on November 26, 2014, 02:54:11 PM
If Michael Brown had been behaving himself he'd still be alive. His death is being used by others to further their agenda and stoke tension. If a black police officer had shot him do you think there would be the same outcry and nationwide protests?

If Aidan McAnespie had been behaving himself he'd still be alive. His death is being used by others to further their agenda and stoke tension. If an IRA volunteer had shot him do you think there would be the same outcry and nationwide protests?

seafoid

This was in the FT

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/1e769634-29e6-11e4-914f-00144feabdc0.html
Race relations have long been fraught in Missouri, a slave state before the Civil War and hardly a paragon of integration after it. Ferguson was home to only a few hundred black people as recently as 1970. Despite the growth of its African-American population, 50 of its 53 police officers and five of its six city council members are white.

I think the history of state and white violence against black people is relevant too
http://media.johnwiley.com.au/product_data/excerpt/01/04713806/0471380601.pdf
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

Quote from: deiseach on November 26, 2014, 02:41:33 PM

It wasn't  a black police officer though. . . your first point has a little but of validity but the second point is just whataboutery!

In fairness your first point is ridiculous as well. 'Not behaving yourself' is not punishable by death!

foxcommander

Quote from: deiseach on November 26, 2014, 02:56:54 PM

If Aidan McAnespie had been behaving himself he'd still be alive. His death is being used by others to further their agenda and stoke tension. If an IRA volunteer had shot him do you think there would be the same outcry and nationwide protests?

Disgraceful that you use Aidan McAnespie as an example. There is no comparison. He was walking to the GAA pitch and shot in the back after going through the checkpoint. I don't get your second point at all.

deiseach

Quote from: foxcommander on November 26, 2014, 03:26:18 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 26, 2014, 02:56:54 PM

Disgraceful that you use Aidan McAnespie as an example. There is no comparison. He was walking to the GAA pitch and shot in the back after going through the checkpoint. I don't get your second point at all.

The point is that your smearing of Michael Brown could just as easily be applied to countless victims of state violence in the North.