Beer....

Started by 5 Sams, November 21, 2008, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Redbreast is from the Jameson distillery if I recall, and the 15 year spanks the 12 year pretty easily, so it's a decent option for a Jameson drinker. Green spot and 10 year old Bushmills are also good drinking whiskeys.

deiseach

Quote from: Puckoon on November 25, 2014, 05:17:48 PM
Redbreast is from the Jameson distillery if I recall, and the 15 year spanks the 12 year pretty easily, so it's a decent option for a Jameson drinker. Green spot and 10 year old Bushmills are also good drinking whiskeys.

:o

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Billys Boots

Had a lovely pint of Chieftan's IPA in Dan Lovery's on McCurtain St. tonight.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

5 Sams

Getting back to beer. Was in Galway last week and the Galway Hooker was top class ;D ;) Beautiful beer.
The Aristocrat Years

Milltown Row2

Buxton Ale for the last 10 weeks (only a couple mind) lovely beer ;) (body a temple and all that), couple of American pale ales have been down too
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

macdanger2

Quote from: laoislad on November 25, 2014, 10:51:53 AM
Looking for advice re Whiskey.
Not being a drinker of it myself I wouldn't know what to buy but I want to get a bottle for a client who has given me plenty of work this year.
I know he drinks Jameson but I want to get him one that isn't just the normal run of the mill bottle of whiskey(if there is such a thing)
I have seen bottles with vintage on them and bottles with reserve on them so can anyone recommend a decent one or are they all pretty much good for someone who drinks whiskey?

Depends on how much you want to spend tbh. If you're looking for something at normal prices, Connemara or Kilbeggan are both nice

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 25, 2014, 10:03:22 PM
Draught or bottle?  and what was lovely about it?

I'd say there's about a window of opportunity of about a month in the life of an IPA brew, after it's bottled or kegged, to experience the
ecstatic pleasures of the indescribable  outburst of  hop flavours. After the month, it's just a question of a gradual decline.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Main Street on November 26, 2014, 12:22:04 AM

I'd say there's about a window of opportunity of about a month in the life of an IPA brew, after it's bottled or kegged, to experience the
ecstatic pleasures of the indescribable  outburst of  hop flavours. After the month, it's just a question of a gradual decline.

Rubbish!
As beer ages it matures especially bottle/cask conditioned beer so it actually develops deeper and more complex flavours with time, more often than not improving the taste of the beer. For example a bottle of Allsopps Artic Ale sold for $.5million a few years back.

Of course you need 10%ABV and higher to survive this long but 5%ABV beer would probably reach its peak after about a year, the flavours will continue to develop of course, but without alcohol, the bacteria will start to win the battle over yeast and start to sour the beer. However the decline will be slow and will probably be extremely tasty up until the end of the 2nd year,or longer depending on the cleanliness of the conditioning vesel, amount of hops etc.

Cask conditioned beer is a wonderful thing, drink it up and treasure its flavours, don't create urban myths about it!

Main Street

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 26, 2014, 03:30:12 AM
Quote from: Main Street on November 26, 2014, 12:22:04 AM

Rubbish!
As beer ages it matures especially bottle/cask conditioned beer so it actually develops deeper and more complex flavours with time, more often than not improving the taste of the beer. For example a bottle of Allsopps Artic Ale sold for $.5million a few years back.

Of course you need 10%ABV and higher to survive this long but 5%ABV beer would probably reach its peak after about a year, the flavours will continue to develop of course, but without alcohol, the bacteria will start to win the battle over yeast and start to sour the beer. However the decline will be slow and will probably be extremely tasty up until the end of the 2nd year,or longer depending on the cleanliness of the conditioning vesel, amount of hops etc.

Cask conditioned beer is a wonderful thing, drink it up and treasure its flavours, don't create urban myths about it!

Up your too, you self important twat. ;D

I'm referring ONLY to IPA and the taste of fresh hops in the brew,
for example this http://enjoyby.stonebrewing.com/fresh-beer

'it's a race against the clock regarding flavor and quality. The flavor- and aroma-producing oils and acids in hops deteriorate with exposure to time, air, light or warm temperatures, so the easiest way to ensure that your hoppy brews are bright and flavorful is to enjoy them as soon as possible after purchasing them. Don't let that Stone Enjoy By IPA languish in your fridge for two months!'

or do a search fresh hopped beer and there are a zillion articles on the matter and the best enjoy by date.
Stone IPA have a best enjoy by date of 3 months. And there are plenty who think 3 months is too long,  their max is 30 days.
As time goes by, in the bottle and the keg, that fresh taste changes into something else,
can be a sour bitter taste eg bottled Fullers IPA   which is dull compared  to the a fresh hopped brew.
My opinion on the matter is also based on experience and consuming my own IPA brews, after 2 weeks conditioning.
The general consensus amongst the fraternity who gather to sample the brew is that it should be all consumed immediately before there is a .005%  flavour dissipation.

PS,,  and féck off back to Tyrone :)

AZOffaly

I drank a craft beer called 'Barefoot Bohemian' by some shower of crusties from Mitchelstown there a couple of weeks ago. It's a Pilsner, and they are the 8 degrees brewing company. It's nice stuff.

I also polished off a box of Cobra there last week after an Indian, that was nice, but maybe only because I was after eating an indian with their spices. All the lads from India I work with drink Kingfisher.

I'm stocking up with Erdinger Kristal and Staropraman for the Christmas. Any similar beers I should try instead?

5 Sams

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 26, 2014, 12:06:19 PM
I drank a craft beer called 'Barefoot Bohemian' by some shower of crusties from Mitchelstown there a couple of weeks ago. It's a Pilsner, and they are the 8 degrees brewing company. It's nice stuff.

I also polished off a box of Cobra there last week after an Indian, that was nice, but maybe only because I was after eating an indian with their spices. All the lads from India I work with drink Kingfisher.

I'm stocking up with Erdinger Kristal and Staropraman for the Christmas. Any similar beers I should try instead?

Try Vedett, Peroni and if you like the cloudy German stuff it's hard to beat Franziskaner.
The Aristocrat Years

Hound

Its funny that Cobra is actually an English beer. Staffordshire. Albeit founded by a chap that was born in India.

AZOffaly

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 26, 2014, 12:36:04 PM

Try Vedett, Peroni and if you like the cloudy German stuff it's hard to beat Franziskaner.

Peroni I find too strong to be honest. The Erdinger is a lager, Kristal, not the Weisbeir. I don't think I could drink the cloudy stuff.

laoislad

Peroni is lovely. Tiger Beer is nice also.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.