The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Lawrenson was right, and as for diving did youse not see the way Suarez threw himself to the ground.  Was definitely not a penalty.  As for what most of you think of United players, Valencia is as honest as they come and considering the position he was in and aided with the replay (and Johnsons lack of a protest) I think it was clearly a penalty too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Minder

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 24, 2012, 08:35:29 AM
Lawrenson was right, and as for diving did youse not see the way Suarez threw himself to the ground.  Was definitely not a penalty.  As for what most of you think of United players, Valencia is as honest as they come and considering the position he was in and aided with the replay (and Johnsons lack of a protest) I think it was clearly a penalty too.

Always a reasoned, balanced analysis from you Nrico  ;D

Watch this from 1:10 and tell me if you still think it wasn't a penalty

http://www.timesoccer.com/video/03/14-manchester-united-vs-liverpool-live-highlights.html
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

onefaircounty

I don't think you're a wum, which makes you look an even bigger gobshite than normal.

If you can take an impartial view of a march in any instance then I don't know. A united player could have took his todger out an aeroplaned in front of the Kop and you'd still claim it was the fault of poor short manufacturing.

Jonjo's sending off was a joke, Evans was just as guilty and neither should have went.

Valencia's penalty was laughable. He didn't dive, I must state, I think he just lost his balnce. But to award it was laughably bad.

For us, play like that and with a referee making the right calls and we'll soon start picking up big wins. Two massive performances against the Manchester teams should have yielded six points. A lack of concentration and incompetent refereeing left us with one. Horrendous position we are in, but I'm not concerned at all. This season is about correcting some wrongs in terms of style and players, it's coming together nicely.

Injuries a massive blow.

laoislad

;D
That's cheered me up on a wet Monday morning.
Fair play nrico,you're hilarious.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Billys Boots

As a neutral, Liverpool were the better side, and played the better football on the day.  Poor defending and decision-making (by themselves mainly) cost them the points.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Tony Baloney

NRico someone should give you a Vtech computer.

"Valencia is as honest as they come". Quote of the year!

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 23, 2012, 11:19:56 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 23, 2012, 10:50:19 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 23, 2012, 10:46:25 PM
On match of the day Mark Lawrenson thought Halsey the ref made the correct calls.
Lawro is a f**king balloon. He was going to ground before any contact was made. Fergie has bred a right squad of cheating c***ts over the years with Owen, Ronaldo and of course Ashley Young.

Owen learnt his football at Liverpool so not a great argument about cheats there...
Thanks for that Tommy.

He *obviously* didnt be at it at Liverpool.

Link

Martin Kelly's Twitter;

Hoping for the best but fearing the worst ;( got my scan at 8 then will let you guys know x

NAG1

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 24, 2012, 08:57:44 AM
As a neutral, Liverpool were the better side, and played the better football on the day.  Poor defending and decision-making (by themselves mainly) cost them the points.

All those things they invested 50m odd to try and cure last season then  ;)

Agree united werent good, Liverpool had a few half chances in the first half could have gone either way.

Suarez is his own worst enemy cant wait to get throwing himself down as if his leg is broken on every tackle no wonder the refs are fed up with him and when he has a decent shout then less likely to get it.

EC Unique

Quote from: Link on September 24, 2012, 09:29:30 AM
Martin Kelly's Twitter;

Hoping for the best but fearing the worst ;( got my scan at 8 then will let you guys know x

Looked bad on MOTD lastnight. His knee went to an awful angle.

Goats Do Shave

On the big calls:

John Joe - by the letter of the law deserved a red... he dived in 2 feet, over aggressively, & caught Evans so if he appeals, he'll be unsuccessful. IMO it was harsh, it should've been his second yellow (he emptied Rafa near the sideline earlier). He was out of control... & would've hurt someone if he'd stayed on any longer.

I'd have given Evans a yellow too. I think he was saved, as he actually got the ball ahead of John Joe.

The Pen - I'm not sure how you can argue against it, Tony V was about to pull the trigger, when Johnson pushed & clipped him from behind. He never even appealed against the decision, very unlike the Liverpool players on the day... they appealed for every single decision!

Liverpool will hope Suarez stays clear of injury, otherwise a relegation scrap IS on the cards! & with Agger now out, will that mean more game time for Jamie C? Disaster if so. Although Coates maybe a better option.

AZOffaly

Liverpool will not be in a relegation scrap. Not a hope. I was encouraged by that yesterday, although I didn't see all of it. On the decisions, I thought Shelvey was reckless and if there's one thing we know now it's that you can't appear to be flying into a tackle. It gives the ref a decision to make and sometimes you will get a red. Having said that, Evans' tackle was probably even more dangerous as he had two feet together, studs up. Still, when it happened I said 'red card'. I think it's the scissors motion as well which looks bad.

I thought Suarez was fouled in his incident, but he is paying the price for outrageous diving in the past, and from that viewpoint it's hard to sympathise. I reckon he will start to get the benefit of the doubt again shortly though, because he's had a couple of them recently, and refs will be aware of that too.

Finally, I didn't think Valencia's was a penalty. I thought he just fell over. The reason Johnson didn't complain is because Reina absolutely poleaxed him coming out.

All in all, I thought Liverpool played well. I think our lack of a pure striker is glaring, but some of the play is very good, and I hope the players persevere with it, and that Rodgers has the courage of his convictions. He's doing the right thing, and if they continue to do it, then they'll be fine. Goals are a problem, however, and that is on the management because they needed to get someone in that can stick the ball in the net 20 times a year.

I didn't agree with taking Sterling off either, he looked fresh to me, and he was absolutely caning Evra. Henderson didn't add anything, and while I understand the thought process I think it was a negative move.

Finally, I didn't see the tribute at the start, but by all accounts it was very moving, and Man Utd played their full part in it, so thanks a million to them, and fair play. The idiots on both sides at the end deserve nothing but scorn, and certainly not any great level of attention. f**k 'em.

Goats Do Shave

J OGorman

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on September 24, 2012, 10:14:53 AM
On the big calls:

John Joe - by the letter of the law deserved a red... he dived in 2 feet, over aggressively, & caught Evans so if he appeals, he'll be unsuccessful. IMO it was harsh, it should've been his second yellow (he emptied Rafa near the sideline earlier). He was out of control... & would've hurt someone if he'd stayed on any longer.

I'd have given Evans a yellow too. I think he was saved, as he actually got the ball ahead of John Joe.

The Pen - I'm not sure how you can argue against it, Tony V was about to pull the trigger, when Johnson pushed & clipped him from behind. He never even appealed against the decision, very unlike the Liverpool players on the day... they appealed for every single decision!

Liverpool will hope Suarez stays clear of injury, otherwise a relegation scrap IS on the cards! & with Agger now out, will that mean more game time for Jamie C? Disaster if so. Although Coates maybe a better option.

you're more inconsistent than Halsey !

Bingo

Didn't get to see all the game yesterday, was in Dublin at the other game.

From watching the highlights last night I can see why the ref made those calls, worse was the sending off though. Shelvey was daft but i think he lunged at the ball not the man, as did Evans. His biggest mistake was getting up so quick while Evans played dead. He'll have to learn not to put himself in those situations, Gerard had to learn the same.

Direction of the ball on the tackle on Suarez made the refs mind up but I think it was a peno, with the benefit of a replay which the ref didn't. No doubt his reputation will always rule a 50/50 against him.

Disappointing as by all accounts they played well. Have to take the view that the season starts now.

Looking at the injuries, seems Kelly is gone for the season while there is hope that Agger isn't as bad as first feared. Borini has brusing and will be ok.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: J OGorman on September 24, 2012, 10:57:33 AM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on September 24, 2012, 10:14:53 AM
On the big calls:

John Joe - by the letter of the law deserved a red... he dived in 2 feet, over aggressively, & caught Evans so if he appeals, he'll be unsuccessful. IMO it was harsh, it should've been his second yellow  (he emptied Rafa near the sideline earlier). He was out of control... & would've hurt someone if he'd stayed on any longer.

you're more inconsistent than Halsey !

I said i'd give them both yellows... inconsistent?