Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Fianna Fáil I would imagine are laughing themselves silly at this onslaught on SF. Cannot for the life of me understand why FG are launching into SF at every opportunity when there is zero chance of them losing votes to SF. Labour have to do so as do FF , fair enough.

It is imo FF they should be targetting.

Very odd.

deiseach

Maybe we have become so cynical about politics that we can't see sincerity for what it is. And make no mistake, FG are being sincere in their hate for the Shinners. On a more Machiavellian level, putting the fear of God into the core vote is a necessary part of any strategy.

Canalman

Fair enough point Deiseach but I think everyone should by now be in numbercrunching and electioneering mode.

FG have their core vote of c30% with a possible extra 10% to be gotten from FF type voters. Imo anyway it is that 10% vote that they should be targetting. ............... in other words putting the boot into FF and not SF.

LeoMc

Quote from: Canalman on February 11, 2016, 12:43:53 PM
Fair enough point Deiseach but I think everyone should by now be in numbercrunching and electioneering mode.

FG have their core vote of c30% with a possible extra 10% to be gotten from FF type voters. Imo anyway it is that 10% vote that they should be targetting. ............... in other words putting the boot into FF and not SF.

Maybe they are laying off their most likely coalition partners!

foxcommander

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: foxcommander on February 11, 2016, 01:30:53 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on February 11, 2016, 10:02:07 AM
Some amount of west Brits on this board... Jesus Christ..

Fixed that for you

Agreed.

You'd nearly think it is a Blueshirt forum with the denial and spin they put forward to everything.

deiseach

Quote from: Canalman on February 11, 2016, 12:43:53 PM

I know what you mean. Just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's sensible. The way the (S)Indo and the Irish Times engage in a full court press against SF is only likely to drive the floating voter towards them, and FG's manner is much the same.

Maguire01

Quote from: Canalman on February 11, 2016, 12:06:40 PM
Cannot for the life of me understand why FG are launching into SF at every opportunity when there is zero chance of them losing votes to SF. Labour have to do so as do FF , fair enough.

It is imo FF they should be targetting.

Very odd.
It's not odd at all. It's like in the Assembly elections when you'll see SF and the DUP going for each other, and there's no prospect of votes going from one to the other there either. It's to motivate their own voters.

ashman

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 11, 2016, 01:46:38 PM

Fixed that for you

Agreed.

You'd nearly think it is a Blueshirt forum with the denial and spin they put forward to everything.

Destro

I am not great at this internetting thingy .  Can you post a picture of a certain statue in Fairview Park ?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: ashman on February 11, 2016, 11:32:45 PM

Fixed that for you

Agreed.

Destro

I am not great at this internetting thingy .  Can you post a picture of a certain statue in Fairview Park ?

You want me to throw up a picture of vandalised statue to contrast it with a fascist gathering of the founding fathers of Fine Gael?

NetNitrate

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 12, 2016, 12:49:51 AM

Fixed that for you

Agreed.

Destro

You want me to throw up a picture of vandalised statue to contrast it with a fascist gathering of the founding fathers of Fine Gael?

Quite a selective and edited view there.

Eoin O'Duffy wore many hats: he was a TD for Sinn Fein, Chief of Staff of IRA, leading figure in GAA, commissioner of newly formed Garda Siochana, leader of the Blueshirts, early leader of Fine Gael who soon distanced themselves from him and he went on to  launch the National Corporate Party, Irish Brigade, etc. He was a lot longer in Sinn Fein and the other parties than he was in Fine Gael (1 year). Sean Russell too was Chief of Staff of the IRA and he admired Hitler as O'Duffy did Mussolini/Franco. It could be argued that their fascism came from their Catholic Republican roots. There's always been a strong streak of fascism in that rather dark combination of Catholicism and Republicanism. The covering up of sexual abuse is yet another manifestation of that in modern day Republicanism.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: NetNitrate on February 12, 2016, 03:41:00 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 12, 2016, 12:49:51 AM

Fixed that for you

Agreed.

Destro

Quite a selective and edited view there.

Eoin O'Duffy wore many hats: he was a TD for Sinn Fein, Chief of Staff of IRA, leading figure in GAA, commissioner of newly formed Garda Siochana, leader of the Blueshirts, early leader of Fine Gael who soon distanced themselves from him and he went on to  launch the National Corporate Party, Irish Brigade, etc. He was a lot longer in Sinn Fein and the other parties than he was in Fine Gael (1 year). Sean Russell too was Chief of Staff of the IRA and he admired Hitler as O'Duffy did Mussolini/Franco. It could be argued that their fascism came from their Catholic Republican roots. There's always been a strong streak of fascism in that rather dark combination of Catholicism and Republicanism. The covering up of sexual abuse is yet another manifestation of that in modern day Republicanism.

Not selective at all. O'Duffy was a founding father of Fine Gael and The Blueshirts are intrinsically linked with Fine Gael.

Sean Russell looked for help from the Germans during WW2 when they were at war with a common enemy. De Valera also sympathised with the Germans on the death of Hitler.

Hardy

What's the next statement in this logical sequence?

Sean Russell looked for help from the Germans during WW2 when they were at war with a common enemy.
De Valera also sympathised with the Germans on the death of Hitler.

I went to Germany on holidays one time?

deiseach

Enda Kenny went to a beer hall in Munich once.

Gaffer

I see aul Slab's getting home tonight for another while at least!
Has anybody on the board ever had any dealings with this guy?

Does he go to any GAA matches ? Is he good craic??? Etc etc
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"