Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on April 03, 2013, 05:35:46 PM
hold on jim heres maguire with some fresh ideas horray the economy is saved.
As i've already said, I don't claim to have the answers. You certainly don't. Jim made some very sensible points and you rubbished them.

so i'm enthusatic about wind power and hydro electric and solar and biogas.
You're definitely full of hot air.

i know we wont running any factories from alternative energy sources but they can help reduce the country's overall oil bill.
Your back-peddling had reached a serious speed at this stage. If we can't even run a factory from alternative sources, how do we reduce the oil bill? Do we now ignore your comparisons with Canada?

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 03, 2013, 05:06:02 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on April 03, 2013, 01:48:20 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 03, 2013, 01:32:12 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on April 03, 2013, 01:10:51 PM
heres one.. the governments of this island could charter flights from wealthier countries to ireland and give the tickets to tourists for free. the return filght not to be before 7 days. instant cash injection ;)

also check out derwent hydro..  yes we can

Without checking out Derwent Hydro I know Derbyshire and the Peak District fairly well having spent 6 weeks in the area as a student. There are significant rivers and reservoirs in the area so not sure if there is any comparison to the Bann. If you google the respective flows and heads on the Derwent and Bann and come back with the figures then we'll talk. The Peak District has a lot peaks.

However, it is good to see you modifying your position from using the Bann to power the entire country to powering individual businesses. On this I won't disagree with you - if the supply was sufficient to generate power on a localised basis then it would do no harm to avail of it and even better if it generated employment.
i never said the entire country but as they say every little helps.
You made the comparison with Canada, so I assumed you were talking about generating energy for the grid. If it was just about a factory/business generating its own power, and it was feasible, then it wouldn't need government intervention - the private sector would be over it like a rash.
the private sector are already over it like a rash theyre called nie my comparison with canada was in relation to energy costs ours are 20 times greater thats something to think about when your looking somewhere to set up a business maybe thats why they can pay their workers 4 times the wages for the same job
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 03, 2013, 05:41:14 PM
As i've already said, I don't claim to have the answers. You certainly don't. Jim made some very sensible points and you rubbished them.

i know we wont running any factories from alternative energy sourcesalone but they can help reduce the country's overall oil bill.
Your back-peddling had reached a serious speed at this stage. If we can't even run a factory from alternative sources, how do we reduce the oil bill? Do we now ignore your comparisons with Canada?
both jim and i are discussing niche industries and we both think we are right or partially right. you on the other hand dont even have one idea. maybe old peoples homes for stoops is your thing

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on April 03, 2013, 05:43:08 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 03, 2013, 05:06:02 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on April 03, 2013, 01:48:20 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 03, 2013, 01:32:12 PM
heres one.. the governments of this island could charter flights from wealthier countries to ireland and give the tickets to tourists for free. the return filght not to be before 7 days. instant cash injection ;)

also check out derwent hydro..  yes we can

Without checking out Derwent Hydro I know Derbyshire and the Peak District fairly well having spent 6 weeks in the area as a student. There are significant rivers and reservoirs in the area so not sure if there is any comparison to the Bann. If you google the respective flows and heads on the Derwent and Bann and come back with the figures then we'll talk. The Peak District has a lot peaks.

However, it is good to see you modifying your position from using the Bann to power the entire country to powering individual businesses. On this I won't disagree with you - if the supply was sufficient to generate power on a localised basis then it would do no harm to avail of it and even better if it generated employment.
i never said the entire country but as they say every little helps.
You made the comparison with Canada, so I assumed you were talking about generating energy for the grid. If it was just about a factory/business generating its own power, and it was feasible, then it wouldn't need government intervention - the private sector would be over it like a rash.
the private sector are already over it like a rash theyre called nie my comparison with canada was in relation to energy costs ours are 20 times greater thats something to think about when your looking somewhere to set up a business maybe thats why they can pay their workers 4 times the wages for the same job
By private sector, I meant individual companies. However, if NIE are aleady over it like a rash, what's the problem? It's happening!

And now you're back to saying that Canada's energy costs are so much lower, yet you've conceeded that hydro power can't do the same thing here. What's the point in the comparison? That's like complaining that Ireland's banana production is terrible in comparison to the Caribbean.

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on April 03, 2013, 05:49:20 PM

i know we wont running any factories from alternative energy sourcesalone but they can help reduce the country's overall oil bill.
both jim and i are discussing niche industries and we both think we are right or partially right. you on the other hand dont even have one idea. maybe old peoples homes for stoops is your thing
You don't have to know the right answer to recognise the wrong one. Jim's posts had some substance and semblance of reality. Yours appear to be random thoughts. That's not a solution.

ludermor

I'm surprised lawnseed hasn't mentioned the spirit of Ireland project yet (or maybe he has?)

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on April 03, 2013, 05:49:20 PM

Just noticed as well - your inclusion of 'alone', not in your original post.

muppet

Then to make our money back we could charge the passenger-tourists for everything from sitting down to using the toilet. Actually maybe we could call it The Rogering.
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

Quote from: muppet on April 03, 2013, 07:54:40 PM

Then to make our money back we could charge the passenger-tourists for everything from sitting down to using the toilet. Actually maybe we could call it The Rogering.
as they do in london.. but then theres alot more to see and do in london but we may get away with it for a while..
what about yourself muppet any get rich quick schemes that might create a few jobs

ranch

Quote from: lawnseed on April 03, 2013, 11:26:46 AM
come on maguire.. wheres your plan? hardy? ranch? its not that easy putting people to work when you dont have billions to spend is it? history shows that industrial economies boom during a war.. yep that would solve the unemployment and quickly..  ::)

I don't have a plan, it's not my job to have one either. I vote SF regardless.

lawnseed

Quote from: ranch on April 03, 2013, 10:35:21 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on April 03, 2013, 11:26:46 AM
come on maguire.. wheres your plan? hardy? ranch? its not that easy putting people to work when you dont have billions to spend is it? history shows that industrial economies boom during a war.. yep that would solve the unemployment and quickly..  ::)

I don't have a plan, it's not my job to have one either. I vote SF regardless.
emm...? you know the way sometimes i mention the 'sh' word. well  its not sopposed to include shinners

muppet

Quote from: lawnseed on April 03, 2013, 10:06:19 PM

as they do in london.. but then theres alot more to see and do in london but we may get away with it for a while..
what about yourself muppet any get rich quick schemes that might create a few jobs

That is the last thing we need.

I like what I read from Jim earlier. Also regarding our Natural Resources I would be closer to Norway than Nigeria. Unfortunately the mandarins that advise the elected muppets think differently.

Regarding your tourism proposal it is only marginally worse than The Gathering. They need to do something substantive instead of just issuing a blank invitation. For example Family Tree tourism is really big in the States these days. People from all over the US fly to Salt Lake City  Utah, just to see a database. Why not encourage them to come here to see the real places where their ancestors came from. To do that we need to stop ripping them off by charging extortionate prices (up to €5 each) to see records of their own families. Find a way to give it to them for buttons, as long as they travel. But tourism is only going to do so much. And something like Family Tree tourism is probably another passing fad.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on April 03, 2013, 10:46:11 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on April 03, 2013, 10:06:19 PM

That is the last thing we need.

I like what I read from Jim earlier. Also regarding our Natural Resources I would be closer to Norway than Nigeria. Unfortunately the mandarins that advise the elected muppets think differently.

Regarding your tourism proposal it is only marginally worse than The Gathering. They need to do something substantive instead of just issuing a blank invitation. For example Family Tree tourism is really big in the States these days. People from all over the US fly to Salt Lake City  Utah, just to see a database. Why not encourage them to come here to see the real places where their ancestors came from. To do that we need to stop ripping them off by charging extortionate prices (up to €5 each) to see records of their own families. Find a way to give it to them for buttons, as long as they travel. But tourism is only going to do so much. And something like Family Tree tourism is probably another passing fad.
To see the ghost housing estates built over the places their ancestors came from.

Lawnseed, what about a big nuclear power station down by Newcastle? Meets your energy needs, years of construction work and ongoing employment for hundreds of years managing the waste. Ticks a lot of boxes.

lawnseed

nuclear? if we'd have had a bit of that stuff 30 years ago.. there'd be a whole lot less tourists tramping around london ;D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 03, 2013, 12:12:08 PM
Christ MGHU is getting as tedious as Evil Genius in his anti northern nationalist rants. Mind you he is being helped somewhat by the head in the sand dismissive attitudes of some shinners on here. This Island is in a post conflict post Celtic Tiger era. some realism needs to be shown by SF. We can't afford to keep spending money in either jurisdiction we don't have. When the CT was roaring in fairness to the FF government they spent a lot of it wisely and on much needed infra structure. Like most of the world we where caught by the balls when the property balloon burst. There is very good reasons why property went sky high in Ireland, alot of it was fueled by greed and cheap money and a lot fueled by a change in circumstances brought about by the end of conflict and the growth of normality.
SF need to realise that the old rhetoric will only allow them to tread water for so long, they are getting votes at the moment by default because the SDLP in the north is a basket case and the Government in the South is unpopular. Hard decisions need to be made and fair play to Kenny (I can't stand him by the way) he took them and he delivered on the bailout conditions. SF in the executive like the DUP don't want to make unpopular cuts. But there is a day of reckoning coming because slowly the English are waking up to the fact that they can't invest in their country because of subvention paid to the North. That is going to be reduced. There are sound political and economic arguments as to why a UI would benefit both parts of our country, SF are incapable it seems of making them. British policies on Europe are detrimental to the agri food sector on this Island for example...many Unionist Farmers would understand that...if the argument was made in the right way. turning up at Easter Parades mimicing the Loyal Orders marching behind pathetic flute bands does not enhance the unity agenda, neitherdoes Gerry's tweets about honouring the Republican Dead. SF need to get some real policies together that will reduce dependance in the North on the public sector by getting behind growth policies for the private sector. Joining NIPSA on the picket lines doesn't advance private sector investment rather it shows a party of protest devoid of ideas. And to be clear the Southern Economy's growth forcasts are ahead of the UK...3% I read as opposed to flatline, and they are still attracting inward investment, the austerity in the South is mainly as a result of the banking collapse so any baiting of our Southern brothers about their economy is mis placed. DUP and SF both need to man up and take responsibility for real economics and stop hiding behind the UK Finance charade that is Stormont. SF won't go in to government in the South either as to do so would expose their lack of coherent policies. No doubt I will be pilloried here by the Shinners on the board...but you want my vote you have to address my concerns not dismiss them!

Only a reaction to the contempt that oozes from the North on a daily basis.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.