American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

Right now, Kyrie lacks explosiveness.  Defensively, Curry could blow by him in a flash.  Offensively, he is no threat to dart to the hoop, so therefore much easier to guard.  Syf is right.  The LeBron story is a fairy tale of redemption.  We've won squat since 1964.  You can't imagine the jolt of good feeling a Cavs championship would mean for Cleveland.  It's a long shot, but we are in the final.  A win would silence the 'Mistake on the Lake' sneerers and unleash unimaginable euphoria. 

gallsman

I don't disagree, I just don't think it's going to happen as even if the Cavs weren't a field hospital, the Warriors are just too good. The window is smaller than you'd think, even with the cap going up significantly after next season.

After The Decision and his subsequent return, it's unthinkable that LeBron could leave again, but he's certain to waive his option this summer and Cleveland have a lot of work to do putting a team together for the next couple of years.

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on May 27, 2015, 07:30:05 PM
Right now, Kyrie lacks explosiveness.  Defensively, Curry could blow by him in a flash.  Offensively, he is no threat to dart to the hoop, so therefore much easier to guard.  Syf is right.  The LeBron story is a fairy tale of redemption.  We've won squat since 1964.  You can't imagine the jolt of good feeling a Cavs championship would mean for Cleveland.  It's a long shot, but we are in the final.  A win would silence the 'Mistake on the Lake' sneerers and unleash unimaginable euphoria.

No City with the possibleexception of Buffalo deserves a title more than Cleveland, GS are tremendous but the Cavs have the best player on the planet averaging a huge triple double night in night out.

Jordan dragged an excellent Bull team over the finish line, this Cavs team are not in that class but to me, if LBJ can beat a team of this calibre with what he has at his disposal then to me he has to be the games greatest player.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

Quote from: stew on May 25, 2015, 04:34:48 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on May 25, 2015, 04:38:51 AM
I'm exhausted and I was just sitting in a chair.  Cavs eke out a win.  LeBron had the worst start of his pro career, but we won.  Let's get this series over and recuperate.

LBJ is better than Jordan imho, what he is doing right now has never been done in terms of one player simply willing his team over the line, Jordan always had the likes of Pippen and Rodman but LBJ has no one near that ilk due to injury.

Golden State will probably win it all, but they are going to have to take care of Le Bron, good luck doing that.

All Rodman did was rebound, he couldn't score. Jordan retired and then came back and won 3 championships. Don't see LBJ ever matching Jordan's accomplishments, Jordan a brilliant defensive player too. The East is very weak this year, Jordan's Bulls had the Pistons & Knicks to contend with.

LBJ is something else though.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stew

Quote from: Minder on May 27, 2015, 09:48:34 PM
Quote from: stew on May 25, 2015, 04:34:48 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on May 25, 2015, 04:38:51 AM
I'm exhausted and I was just sitting in a chair.  Cavs eke out a win.  LeBron had the worst start of his pro career, but we won.  Let's get this series over and recuperate.

LBJ is better than Jordan imho, what he is doing right now has never been done in terms of one player simply willing his team over the line, Jordan always had the likes of Pippen and Rodman but LBJ has no one near that ilk due to injury.

Golden State will probably win it all, but they are going to have to take care of Le Bron, good luck doing that.

All Rodman did was rebound, he couldn't score. Jordan retired and then came back and won 3 championships. Don't see LBJ ever matching Jordan's accomplishments, Jordan a brilliant defensive player too. The East is very weak this year, Jordan's Bulls had the Pistons & Knicks to contend with.

LBJ is something else though.

Bollocks, Rodman did a lot more than rebound for that team, he was a nightmare matchup defensively and he was the best rebounder on the planet, he fought for every ball and was a key factor in their wins.

Lets be honest here, Jordan never retired, he was caught gambling on games and he was told to fcuk off for a while. Scotty Pippen was also some pup come to think of it.

Finally, Jordan was brilliant no doubt but LBJ has 10 good years left in him, he could win another five titles, this is his fifth finals in a row, some going.

stew

I just wish LBJ had have been born in Armagh, we would have ten AI's by now!

gallsman

Rodman could indeed do more than rebound. He won DPOY several times if I recall correctly. Jordan also won DPOY. As for his retirement being due to gambling, that's little more than urban myth and conspiracy theory. Don't underestimate the fact his father has been murdered the previous year. He'd won three titles and three Finals MVPs in a row. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt in devising he'd had enough.

LeBron is otherworldly, but there's evidence to suggest that, while still absolutely outrageous, we may have seen the best of him. His efficiency this year has dropped remarkably.

Muck Savage

Rockets doing all they can to hand this to GS with all the turnovers. Tough game to watch.

Muck Savage

That was hard to watch. Harden did everything to hand it to them and the Dubs struggled to get daylight between them but then They Finally got a run. Great win. Will be a good finals.

Oraisteach

Darn.  As if it wasn't tough enough already, Charles Barkley predicts that the Cavs will be NBA champions. 

gallsman

Quote from: Oraisteach on May 28, 2015, 05:51:01 AM
Darn.  As if it wasn't tough enough already, Charles Barkley predicts that the Cavs will be NBA champions.

Barkley is a moron. He made an absolute twat of himself earlier in the season ranting about analytics guys.

magpie seanie

Some setup in the NHL playoffs. Blackhawks tied it up and must go to Anaheim in game 7. The previous night the Rangers got the win in game 6 in Tampa to bring it home for game 7.

Club Rossa

First time both conference finals have went to game 7 since 2000.

brokencrossbar1

Didn't sit up to watch last nights game, but the finals will be something else.  A straight shoot out between Curry and LBJ in many ways but if Kyrie is managed properly then he will have a big say in it.  JR and Mozgov have worked out well as has been stated but in Green, Klay Thompson, Barnes and Livingston the GSW have probably a few more scoring threats.  LBJ will have to play at a level he never has before but I wouldn't rule that out.  He and Curry are playing like men possessed at the minute and the X factor from either of them can inspire those around them.  Looking forward to it big time.

gawa316

Up the Dubs!

Curry and Thompson are going to be renamed the bash or clash bros after the hits/falls they've had in the last 2 games!