Now no economic whatsover reason to maintain partition

Started by T Fearon, April 24, 2007, 12:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Was a guest yesterday of one of the four main banks at a business breakfast which was addressed by their chief economists North and South. The main gist of what they both said (although neither used the actual words) was that there is now no logical economic reason or advantage for the partition of this island. The 26 counties has an economy to envy and a prosperity level we can only dream of and neither saw much hope of any significant financial intervention from London and both expressed concerns about the ability of the new Northern executive (with its two dominant left of centre parties) being able to grasp economic realities much less successfully meet the challenges. I wonder is this the British Government's subtle ploy to rid themselves of the North and allied to this will people up here finally get the message that the union with Britain is an impediment to prosperity and vote accordingly.

One thing which amuses me no end is the call from Business leaders up here for a reduction of the rate of Corporation Tax to a level of parity with the 26 counties. The obvious and easiest way to achieve this is to end partition, are they afraid to say this?

ziggysego

Unionist have long admitted, it isn't about the economic, it's about the National Identity. Much the same way as we still wanted a United Ireland when the Northern economy was stronger than the South, abeit by British handouts.
Testing Accessibility

scalder

I was watching a good programme on TG4 on saturday evening about Ireland during the Emergency/World War - this eposiode focused on the North and was very intresting. They had a contempoary piece of fotage - propaganda it must be said - and the voice over went on about the "North being more industrious and harder working and so did not want to tied to South" - "with the do wagging the tail" - times have changed...

Good point about ending partition being a way to acheive a common corp tax, I like it.

Star Spangler

QuoteMuch the same way as we still wanted a United Ireland when the Northern economy was stronger than the South

Pedantic maybe, but when did Northern Ireland ever have a strong economy???  Don't confuse handouts with actual wealth creation.

ziggysego

Quote from: Star Spangler on April 24, 2007, 01:55:06 PM
QuoteMuch the same way as we still wanted a United Ireland when the Northern economy was stronger than the South

Pedantic maybe, but when did Northern Ireland ever have a strong economy???  Don't confuse handouts with actual wealth creation.

Read the last four words that you omitted from the quote :P
Testing Accessibility

GweylTah

Quote from: ziggysego on April 24, 2007, 01:37:32 PM
Unionist have long admitted, it isn't about the economic, it's about the National Identity. Much the same way as we still wanted a United Ireland when the Northern economy was stronger than the South, abeit by British handouts.

Good to see at least one person has good sense - though maybe the (currently) more affluent South might find a good few of its inhabitants are economically happy with Partition these days.

brokencrossbar1

It has long been my argument that the two governments are gradually working towards a united Ireland, irrespective of any referendum.  They are unifying the tarnsport infrastructure as they know that the roads will be there longer than the partition.  

The next one will be tag hegemony with CT coming in line with the south and, depending on the next Government there will be a unification of the ICT system very soon.  Let's face it the Governments have to keep the businesses happy as they are the ones who provide them with the main bulk of their taxes.  Also as it stands there is a very close working relationship between the revenue north and south so logistically there will be little difficulty implementing it.

Once these have been put in place there will be a overhaul of the social welfare and health system, clsely followed by the standardisation of the education system.  

I believe this will happen sooner rather than later, and there will be some form of "new" Ireland within 10 years.  This will not be based on any vote but on piecemeal financial changes which will put Ireland north and south on equal footing so that practically there will be no border.  The north may still retain its status but you will find that there will be no allegiance to the Crown.  

GweylTah

Any new Ireland would almost certainly have to join NATO and the Commonwealth.

Uladh

his holiness nb

Why would they "almost certainly" have to join the commonwealth?

Again, not being smart here, I'm genuinely interested in where that came from.
Ask me holy bollix

Fionntamhnach

QuoteOne thing which amuses me no end is the call from Business leaders up here for a reduction of the rate of Corporation Tax to a level of parity with the 26 counties. The obvious and easiest way to achieve this is to end partition, are they afraid to say this?
Well I don't believe it can be done within the UK anyway as I believe it would be illegal under EU rules.

QuoteAny new Ireland would almost certainly have to join NATO and the Commonwealth.
The Commonwealth, probably. It's really just a talking shop. NATO however would be a different kettle of fish entirely, which I believe would require a constitutional amendment.

SammyG

Unionist have long admitted, it isn't about the economic, it's about the National Identity.

100% correct ziggy. As usual Mr Fearon (or whoever's posting in his name) has totally missed the point. NI would have a stronger economy if we linked with Switzerland or Sweden but that's not going to happen either.

Orior

Quote from: SammyG on April 24, 2007, 02:24:36 PM
Unionist have long admitted, it isn't about the economic, it's about the National Identity.

100% correct ziggy. As usual Mr Fearon (or whoever's posting in his name) has totally missed the point. NI would have a stronger economy if we linked with Switzerland or Sweden but that's not going to happen either.

You sound very sure of yourself. I suggest you keep your suitcase handy to follow Trimble.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

SammyG

Quote from: Orior on April 24, 2007, 02:37:38 PM
Quote from: SammyG on April 24, 2007, 02:24:36 PM

You sound very sure of yourself. I suggest you keep your suitcase handy to follow Trimble.

I'm very sure. We have 90+% of the parties (and the people) north and south, agreed to support and work with partition and have accepted the principle of consent. I'd be surprised if there is even a referendum in my lifetime, never mind a UI. The issue is dead for the forseeable future.

T Fearon

Sammy you do talk some bollix.The fact here is that 3/4 of this island enjoys a prosperity level substantially higher than the remaining quarter and the people in that remaining quarter (or a misguided deluded majority of them) deny themselves access to the same level of prosperity all to do with one way allegiance to a sectarian throne that neither needs nor wants them

For the record I think both governments are working in harmony towards the reunification goal, and even the likes of Ken Bloomfield has acknowledged recently that a united Ireland is the best solution for all the people of this island. With the substantial shift in the DUP (still scarcely credible) and Empey's pledge to move the UUP away from its sectarian bolt hole, I would say that Martin Mc Guinness isnt far off the mark with his 1916 forecast.