Paddy Kilety's thespianic debut in Windsor Park Bigotry play!

Started by T Fearon, April 21, 2007, 12:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: SammyG on April 23, 2007, 09:52:28 PM
I've no idea what this means but I love Father Ted if that helps.

Sammy, It's hard to imagine that you have a sense of humor not to mention some love in your heart as well.

Billys Boots

QuoteI've sufficient grasp on reality

Another fact, eh?

QuoteYou, however, appear not to have a clue; after all, when have I ever said anything about being gay - proudly or otherwise?

Is it another of your facts that you have never posted on this board, or any of its previous incarnations, as 'Very Proud to be Gay'?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Billys Boots

QuoteGweltyah

My opinion is that Gweltyah or whatever he calls himself has always (or at least for the past 2-3 yrs) has posted using that name (Gweltyah).  The other person, in my opinion, has not.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on April 23, 2007, 08:21:30 PM
Down a familiar road of a Nationalists head count at WP and Neil Lennon quotes.
Therfore in this context bigotry is not obvious at WP therefore the play needs updating.
Imo the play doesn't need updating. It's a sharp enough reflection of bigotry in a moment of time.
It is a play which has travelled well to different cultures. The play has a purpose wherever in the world there are bigots.
It's based on real enough characters that the playright and the actor have identified in their own life.

Hang on a minute. Someone wrote a play about what was then a current, actual event which she hadn't attended. Fair enough, she's entitled to do so, whether I or anyone else likes what she's written.
But that is not the point which Sammy and I and other NI fans are making.
Rather, the fat bigot Fearon reappears to herald a revival of the play, alleging that absolutely nothing has changed since the events which Jones dramatised.

This is utter bullshit - and offensive bullshit, at that. In fact, it was Fearon who subsequently proposed that the play be "updated" by reference to the threat against Lennon made six years ago by someone not even known to be an NI fan. As an NI fan, continually libelled by the likes of Fearon, am I not entitled in response to point to Lennon's public endorsement of the IFA's FFA campaign earlier this year as being much more illustrative of the updated situation?

And when Fearon asks the question "How many Catholics/Nationlists attend Windsor?" (the implication being that these are few or none) are NI fans not entitled to point out that many do, and in increasing numbers?

If people wish to treat this play as a period piece, then they are entitled to do so. But they are not entitled to repeat the blatant lie that nothing much has changed since the piece was written, when I and others have been able to point to a mountain of evidence that there have been enormous changes.

Still, if you wish to cling onto past grievances and live in a world where change and progress count for less, then so be it. But whilst you're enjoying the play, the rest of us will get on with enjoying life.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 24, 2007, 09:09:11 AM
QuoteI've sufficient grasp on reality

Another fact, eh?

QuoteYou, however, appear not to have a clue; after all, when have I ever said anything about being gay - proudly or otherwise?

Is it another of your facts that you have never posted on this board, or any of its previous incarnations, as 'Very Proud to be Gay'?

Jeez, has the Amalgamated Union of Nit-Pickers and Associated Twats called a strike, so that you've nothing better to do?

As for my identity, it is a fact that I have never posted on this or any other Board under the name "Very Proud to be Gay", or anything even remotely similar.

I can't be arsed to look it out just now, but when I first started posting, someone started a Poll trying to guess my "real" identity. From what I recall, people voted for at least six different aliases; none was correct.

Anyhow, I'm not much bothered; what I find much more interesting is that you (and others) seem much more fixated on who I am, rather than what I post.

Or is it permissable in Gaelic Games to "play the man" in preference to "playing the ball"?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

T Fearon

Such bollix. The sectarian behaviour at Windsor Park that night was deplorable and involved the vast majority of those in the attendance,and was shamefully led by the North of Ireland manager and goalkeeper who conducted those mocking the greysteel atrocity etc. Packie Bonner said it was ten times worse than anything he'd experienced at Ibrox and Eamon Dunphy switched his allegiance from unionist to nationalist/republican in 90 minutes. Once again it emphasises the unwillingness and inability of those who claim to support football for all to recognise the depth of the problem, instead they adopt the nutter with a 20p piece or a few dozen Ranger supporters excuses. That is the reason why I consider the FFA campaign to be a complete sham and unworthy of any credit whatsoever. I have no doubt whatsoever that if the FAI team was to play at Windsor Park tomorrow it would encounter the exact same level of sectarian abuse as in 1993. The old adage about leopards and spots holds true.

What this play explores is the deluded supremacist mindset (that thinks taigs never wash, nor work, breed like rabbits etc) that pervades those who attend Windsor Park and by extension the unionist community in general. It is a chord which anyone from the North, especially a nationlist reared and living in a loyalist area, will surely find familiar.

To that extent it is a drama well worth seeing and I hope Kielty doesn't obscure the message by trivialising it. He more than most knows well the tragic outworkings of such naked bigotry

Billys Boots

Quoteit is a fact that I have never posted on this or any other Board under the name "Very Proud to be Gay"

Fine, I accept your assurances of fact, on this occasion.  Thank you for finally answering the question.

Quotewhat I find much more interesting is that you (and others) seem much more fixated on who I am, rather than what I post.

Why do you find that interesting?  We're all well aware of what you post.

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 24, 2007, 11:28:28 AM
Hang on a minute. Someone wrote a play about what was then a current, actual event which she hadn't attended. Fair enough, she's entitled to do so, whether I or anyone else likes what she's written.
But that is not the point which Sammy and I and other NI fans are making.
Rather, the fat bigot Fearon reappears to herald a revival of the play, alleging that absolutely nothing has changed since the events which Jones dramatised.

I have already dismissed Fearan's analysis as tripe in my first post.
Don't mix and match  posts or points made.

What has emerged is that
Sammy denies the play is about one man dealing with his bigoted mindset.
Many Lies in the play.
Times have changed, no context now for reviving the play.

Imo
Its so called resurrection in Belfast (did it die)
can have a continued positive effect on bigoted influences in society.
Laugh at the pure irrational hateful stupidity of bigotry. It's one way a society can deal with it. Plays like this  expose bigotry, its causes, maintaining factors and be okay with it before it is swept under the carpet.
Bring it up, expose it, laugh at it and dump it.
The impression I get from you and Sammy is that everything is fine now don't bring up the Bigotry play again. Why the feck not? If everybody is okay with Bigotry in the North then either no one will go to it or people will go and enjoy to be reminded of the vileness of bigotry.
If there is a reaction against the  showing of the play, then not everybody is comfortable with the bigoted past.
Who gives a feck if it's just about loyalist bigots. Dermot Morgan had for decades lampooning catholicism and their bigots with savage humor.

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on April 24, 2007, 12:28:54 PMThe impression I get from you and Sammy is that everything is fine now don't bring up the Bigotry play again. Why the feck not?

Sorry when has anybody said anything of the sort. Nobody has said that everything is fine and bigottry shouldn't be confronted (in fact that's the exact opposite of what's been said). The problem is that this play doesn't confront biggottry it exploits and reinforces biggottry, which is a totally different thing.

Main Street

Impression Sammy, just an impression.

okay
then lets agree to spell bigotry properly. :)

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on April 24, 2007, 02:09:10 PMokay
then lets agree to spell bigotry properly. :)

We can indeed, not sure what happened in the last post, I managed about 4 different  spellings in two sentences.  :o

GweylTah

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 24, 2007, 09:54:54 AM
QuoteGweltyah

My opinion is that Gweltyah or whatever he calls himself has always (or at least for the past 2-3 yrs) has posted using that name (Gweltyah).  The other person, in my opinion, has not.

Ahem. This board even more than other sports and politics boards presumes that everybody who posts on it is a heterosexual male, a presumption that is more offensive than the anti-Brit/Prod/Unionist/Orange mentality that goes with the territory. Is it an automatic thing with Irish(men)?

I am what I am, live with it.

his holiness nb

Gweltyah, "this board" talk about generalising.
What makes you think we all presume posters are heterosexual males?
I'm sure you have an example or two, but we all dont think like that.

For example, I think your gay  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Billys Boots

QuoteAhem.

Ahem yourself.  As you well know, but for the benefit of those that don't, there was a virulent poster on this board called 'Very Proud to be Gay'.  My personal antipathy to him had nothing to do with his being proud or gay.  His modus operandi didn't equate with that of Gweyltah, and that is why I stated that I didn't think them to be the same person.  Are you (Gweyltah) now stating, for the record, that you are he?