Monaghan v Donegal 03/04 Blaney 2pm

Started by Main Street, March 31, 2016, 12:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

The Battle of the  Depressed and it's being played in Blayney.
Donegal on a relative downer, Monaghan already in the pits.
As it stands, Donegal should have too much of whatever they have, for Monaghan.
But maybe we will play a midfielder in midfield instead of being sterilised at FF. We always have hope.

Conallach

That last sentence could just as easily have been written by a Donegal man!

The full forward line is very thin at the moment, largely due to injuries that have halted the progress of the young lads coming through.

The goalkeeper rotation is starting to look a bit like placeholding until Michael Boyle is fit. That mighn't be a bad thing, he's probably an above average intercounty keeper anyway.

It's tempting to be very down on how the team's shaping up right now, and it looks like they're shaping up to be at around the same level as last year. I'd love to think that Gallagher has something up his sleeve, particularly something to play against blanket defences, but, well, we'll see...

BluestackBoy

I would hope that now the maths are with Donegal, Gallagher will allow the players open out a bit & try to win the game playing open football.

The fact that Monaghan must win this means that I will give them the nod as, sadly,  I don't think Gallagher wants to progress.

At any rate I am sitting this one out, it will take me a long time to get over last Sat night.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

J70

Surely Gallagher would like to make the semis to have another competitive game? We don't play the winners of Antrim-Fermanagh until the second week of June.

As for this game, given our regular inability to make any headway against Monaghan, I don't see us getting a result. Even if we don't pack the defence (and let McManus go one-on-one??), Monaghan probably will, as its a proven, effective strategy against us.

Rossfan

Monaghan win and the expected Rhus win I believe leaves 3 teams on 6 ( 4 if Kerry bate Cork). Calculator time.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2016, 07:24:04 PM
Monaghan win and the expected Rhus win I believe leaves 3 teams on 6 ( 4 if Kerry bate Cork). Calculator time.

Donegal are safe barring a trouncing of epic proportions due to their much better scoring difference.

Should allow them come out & play.........
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2016, 06:09:34 PM
Surely Gallagher would like to make the semis to have another competitive game? We don't play the winners of Antrim-Fermanagh until the second week of June.

As for this game, given our regular inability to make any headway against Monaghan, I don't see us getting a result. Even if we don't pack the defence (and let McManus go one-on-one??), Monaghan probably will, as its a proven, effective strategy against us.
It's not for sure that's the way Gallacher sees it.
Remember in 2014, Donegal had already moved into a different mode when they met Monaghan in the div 2 final and ithat game was not an obvious part of their preparations.
But possibly  he is under pressure to get a result in this game.

Conallach

There's little there to suggest that Gallagher would prefer another game to another training camp to be honest, for better or worse.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Conallach on April 01, 2016, 12:36:45 AM
There's little there to suggest that Gallagher would prefer another game to another training camp to be honest, for better or worse.
Donegal were playing well until they went on that last training camp.

GrandMasterFlash

http://www.hoganstand.com/Monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=252897

Diminutive stature and speed (in the form of McAnespie and D McKenna) over size and experience (in the form of K Hughes and Corey) to start for Monaghan..

We need to get a much greater return from our mid-field than we did last week, and that includes Beggan producing a much improved kickout strategy. Monaghan persisted with the short kickouts last week which were suicidal when the team were clearly flagging. The long kickouts were mostly put on top K Donaghy's head which was bizarre. Also, this complete over elaboration when trying to work the ball past the half-way line is extremely frustrating to watch, allowing opposition defences to re-shape themselves and preventing quick ball into our FFs.

Monaghan are currently being curtailed by their own system, in my opinion. If they played more openly, like they have done in the past, they would be in a better place..

upmonaghansayswe

Mc Anespie had a great game in lasts years league (the worst game of county football i`ve ever seen). He was impressive for the U21s in Newry on Wednesday night too. I hope next Wednesdays final takes priority. Cant see him playing the full 70 anyway.

Corey religiously marks Murphy in these games so he`ll start. Kieran will too - we need to see a resemblance of a fielder round the middle before summer and this is the last chance. Hopefully Darren plays out the field too as the FF plan hasn't worked. On kick outs, the more we persist with short ones, the more focus the odd long one gets, which we inevitably lose and revert to type. You can feel the zero confidence we have in midfield which badly needs overhauling.

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 01, 2016, 11:39:00 AM
preventing quick ball into our FFs FF.

Thats half the problem!..

Fuzzman

What do the Donegal fans think of Gallagher at this stage?

I was at the game last weekend in Croker and whilst it's always hard to know how to play the Dubs I was a bit surprised how defensive he had ye lined out. I think ye have good ball winning forwards to hit in a few long high balls the odd time but it very rarely happens.

J70

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 01, 2016, 02:44:43 AM

I think Donegal have come out of the league so far exactly how they would have been expected to, with the exception of the Roscommon game. Dublin away and Kerry away are always nailed-on defeats. Mayo at home was 50/50, and we shaded it. Cork never bother their asses when they come north and its almost always a handy Donegal win. Down have been hammered by almost everyone.

The training camp has littled to do with it. The sequencing and location of the fixtures has a lot to do with it.

Maguire01

Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2016, 01:42:55 PM

I think Donegal have come out of the league so far exactly how they would have been expected to, with the exception of the Roscommon game. Dublin away and Kerry away are always nailed-on defeats. Mayo at home was 50/50, and we shaded it. Cork never bother their asses when they come north and its almost always a handy Donegal win. Down have been hammered by almost everyone.

The training camp has littled to do with it. The sequencing and location of the fixtures has a lot to do with it.
So what would be the expectation for this one?

J70

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 01, 2016, 03:29:12 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2016, 01:42:55 PM

So what would be the expectation for this one?

Tight game, probable Monaghan win.