Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leenie

Just a quick question fuzzman,
If M.H is entering his 15th year of management and we haven't won an all Ireland in 9 years, how long do you think we should give for developing players ?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Fuzzman

If it was up to me I'd give him 3 more years to develop this new team as we've came through a long period of change and are hopefully coming out the other side with a new energetic young team. Whereas teams like Donegal and Mayo are seeing a lot of their older players reaching the age to retire.

I was reading that we only have 5 players from 2010 team; Sean, Colm, Justy, Petey and McCarron.

Do you think Leenie he should retire after 2017 if we don't win Sam?

longballin

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 11, 2017, 04:11:21 PM
If it was up to me I'd give him 3 more years to develop this new team as we've came through a long period of change and are hopefully coming out the other side with a new energetic young team. Whereas teams like Donegal and Mayo are seeing a lot of their older players reaching the age to retire.

I was reading that we only have 5 players from 2010 team; Sean, Colm, Justy, Petey and McCarron.

he should stick to football and leave the other stuff to clergy men. And use a few forwards!

redhandefender

Quote from: longballin on January 11, 2017, 04:23:38 PM

he should stick to football and leave the other stuff to clergy men. And use a few forwards!

Your first point is nothing to do with management or football. Your second point shows your absolute lack of knowledge of the modern or game or quality of current tyrone panel.

I still think he needs a semi final and a performance this year to retain the job.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: redhandefender on January 11, 2017, 04:33:17 PM

Your first point is nothing to do with management or football. Your second point shows your absolute lack of knowledge of the modern or game or quality of current tyrone panel.

I still think he needs a semi final and a performance this year to retain the job.

I'd agree with this.

The last two seasons have brought a bit of expectancy so we will need to kick on this year. We were a bit unlucky with how the QF draw went for us, I always think the team coming through the back door have a slight advantage over the provincial winner at this stage. I think our QF record is much better coming through the qualifier route than it is the Provincial route and even at that it was small margins that decided it.

QF Provinicial route is

P6 W2 L4

QF qualifer route is

P5 W4 L1

We just happened to draw by far the toughest team we could have and lost on the narrowest of margins this year but the expectancy will be an All Ireland semi-final this year and I think we will need to be competitive with Dublin up until the last kick of the game.

Kerry have got some very handy QF draws in recent years, they generally have a lot of bother in this round if they get a pretty decent side pitted against them.

2013 - Cavan
2014 - Galway
2015 - Kildare
2016 - Clare

Hopefully we'll get a bit of luck this year in a decent QF draw should we get there.

vallankumous

Mickey Harte's biggest failure was convincing some of us that winning All Irelands is easy.

longballin

Quote from: redhandefender on January 11, 2017, 04:33:17 PM

agree on first point if I want lectured about morals I dont need to hear them from a GAA manager- as for modern game, it is stifling that Tyrone team and as I said before when Sean goes... it'll be as far away as ever

southtyronegael

looks like i stirred up some interesting conversation on here.lol

skeog

Mickey is having a chat show on 25 jan in Omagh.Wonder will he reveal anything about his future plans.

southtyronegael

a chatshow for what? who cares what his plans are. the people of tyrone should decide what happens, not mickey harte.

redhandofgod

Mickey Harte deserves serious credit for those 3 all-Irelands, we wouldn't have won an all-Ireland without him, I do fear now that we wont win another AI with him in charge!!!

He was afforded the opportunity to work with the same group of players he guided from minor and U21, at some point the successful U21 management have to be given that opportunity.

Gaafan2

Quote from: redhandofgod on January 12, 2017, 08:25:06 AM
Mickey Harte deserves serious credit for those 3 all-Irelands, we wouldn't have won an all-Ireland without him, I do fear now that we wont win another AI with him in charge!!!

He was afforded the opportunity to work with the same group of players he guided from minor and U21, at some point the successful U21 management have to be given that opportunity.

Are you sure about that? The brand of football they have our u21's playing is awful. Apparently they played Pomeroy seniors during the week and played with 15 men in their own 45 when not in possession of the ball. Do we really want to see the likes of Lee Brennan having to defend on his own 21?

redhandofgod

Quote from: gaafan2 on January 12, 2017, 10:19:24 AM

Are you sure about that? The brand of football they have our u21's playing is awful. Apparently they played Pomeroy seniors during the week and played with 15 men in their own 45 when not in possession of the ball. Do we really want to see the likes of Lee Brennan having to defend on his own 21?

No difference to the way our senior team plays then.

Gaafan2

Quote from: redhandofgod on January 12, 2017, 10:34:47 AM
Quote from: gaafan2 on January 12, 2017, 10:19:24 AM

No difference to the way our senior team plays then.

At least our senior team plays with two men up front most of the time. I for one do not want Fergal Logan or Brian Dooher anywhere near the senior team playing this brand of football. We need a man that's going to start playing a more attacking brand of football.

Fuzzman

In the last few years we have seen a few managers come out and say they will not be playing that defensive blanket style game and will line up 15 v 15 and go for it. Every time they were found wanting and got sucked in and destroyed on the break.
Even the Dubs have had to adapt to it as they found out v Donegal in 2014 what happens if you don't play in a similar way. Kerry and maybe to a lesser extent Mayo have both accepted you got to fight fire with fire so I can't see the next Tyrone manager trying to go back to the way the game used to be played unless there are rule changes.

Saying that though I think we do go too far bringing 14 if not 15 men into our own half and as I've said before I'd be happy to play with 3 forwards up all game who can win their own ball and keep possession until the cavalry arrive.

Leenie, I'm still waiting on your answer.