TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2023, 02:38:11 PM
The newest Last of Us episode was brilliant the best so far imho.

I love how each of episodes is so different without the story feeling disjointed. Exceptional writing and show running to date.

An Watcher

The one with the two guys was excellent.  Totally unexpected

Louther

Quote from: thewobbler on February 12, 2023, 03:23:21 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2023, 02:38:11 PM
The newest Last of Us episode was brilliant the best so far imho.

I love how each of episodes is so different without the story feeling disjointed. Exceptional writing and show running to date.

Very much agree. Superb to date. The ending  :'(

AustinPowers

First episode of  Grantchester  starts on itv3 later.

Is it Worth  getting into?

An Watcher

Yip, the Last of Us, top class again

tonto1888

Anyone else watched Wednesday? Watched the first episode last night. Was enjoyable

johnnycool

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 13, 2023, 10:51:00 AM
Anyone else watched Wednesday? Watched the first episode last night. Was enjoyable

yeah, watched it with some of the kids, enjoyable enough family viewing.

trueblue1234

Quote from: johnnycool on February 13, 2023, 10:55:37 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 13, 2023, 10:51:00 AM

yeah, watched it with some of the kids, enjoyable enough family viewing.

Same. Good show and gets better. Easy watching for me compared to some of the other shows they've wanted to watch.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Jell 0 Biafra

I dunno,The Last of Us... one episode in after the rave reviews here...so far it's just The Walking Dead and every other zombie show you've ever seen with somewhat better production values.  It's grand, but nothing special.

gallsman

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on February 14, 2023, 08:07:11 PM
I dunno,The Last of Us... one episode in after the rave reviews here...so far it's just The Walking Dead and every other zombie show you've ever seen with somewhat better production values.  It's grand, but nothing special.

It's really not.

Jell 0 Biafra

Except it is though. At least the first episode.

An Watcher

Here boss, you've watched one episode ffs.  Give it a chance

Jell 0 Biafra

There were rave reviews here after the first episode. 

My take after the first episode is, it's  grand, I'll  watch more. But  so far, it's  overhyped.

thewobbler

Don't see the comparison myself.

The Walking Dead was initially like a homage to the best scenes from zombie movies, done better and with a bigger budget. It quickly became repetitive and for plot lines was thoroughly reliant on its wide cast of central characters doing implausible things that would inevitably result in a big barney.

The Last of Us, so far, is two central characters navigating their way across post apocalypse America. As it's based in a computer game, nobody apart from them is going to have a recurring role in the story, which is very different. Of course their journey includes zombies, military groups, mercenary groups and sects. But the story isn't one of their heroic acts and amazing leadership. Their survival mostly due to a strong will, a strong sixth sense and a whole lot of luck. If they didn't have the latter the story wouldn't be worth telling.

I'm finding it riveting. I do think it'll implode into the main characters doing silly things, and unbelievably ridiculous acts of heroism before it runs its course, because these shows always do. Hopefully not.

I wasn't a fan of the set piece last night that saw the zombies breaking out.

straightred

Just finished eps 5 and 6 of 1923 (Harrision Ford and Helen Mirren). Its a follow on to 1888 and is a prequel to Yellowstone. It's cowboys and ranching in Montana.

1923 is my favorite, followed by 1888. Yellowstone is also good but, as is often the case, when a series goes beyond 3 series it does lose its appeal.