TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 08, 2016, 02:25:01 AM
Fcuk all character development? Dolores,Bernard,William,Maeve etc was the opposite of that. The stories all knitted nicely together in the final few episodes I thought

Dolores= a winey messed up gobshite, all she did was bitch through the whole series, apart from the cleavage I hated her time on-screen.
Bernard= kind of interesting character, much more interesting after we got his full story.
William= Moany weakling who pines after Dolores because "she's special", again hated listening to the kill joy bastard, Logan was much more fun. A great twist though in his story- best scene of the whole series.
Maeve= another bollix. No empathy for her at all.

To be honest I'd little to no time for the hosts at all. They're machinery ffs. Loved fords machievellian boss. Enjoyed Bernard as well as the narcissistic writer, the Delos board member and the head of qa. Rounded characters at least, the hosts were just so fcking typical.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Main Street

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 08, 2016, 01:11:34 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 08, 2016, 10:59:52 AM
Milkwood's connection to Blade Runner is a bit obvious. I think the ingredients are more The Stepford Wives meets Groundhog Day meets City Slickers meets The Milky Bar Kid and finally meets Kill Bill,
with Palin's awesome train journeys thrown in as a bonus.

There are a few good laughs, at least I thought so with the 'painted black' soundtrack when the gang shoot up the town to rob the pub's safe in ep2.

I'm on ep3 and getting curious.
I thought had a dose of Memento thrown in there.
I forgot to write that one down.

The best laugh so far (to ep2) was when the sheriff was taking some city slickers up on horseback through the pass. They happened upon 2 dead bodies on the trail, the unnerved sheriff quipped, ´Hector was here'.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: trileacman on December 08, 2016, 05:58:12 PM
Maeve= another bollix. No empathy for her at all.
I thought she was good and to be expected from a good actress like her. She also delivered the best quote of the season.

if you go looking for the truth get the whole thing. It's like a good f**k, half is worse than none.

Main Street

A BBC 4 screening of  the Martin Scorcese documentary "No Direction Home"  this evening, apart from the enigma of the subject  matter, this has top be one of the best documentaries ever made, from the first 5 seconds to the last frame it just grips your total attention.

leenie

Quote from: The Iceman on August 17, 2016, 05:32:35 PM
have another newborn in the house so blasting through some series on the night shift:

finished Peaky Blinders Season 3 - solid effort again - the ending was a bit much but I'm a fan and i'll watch as many seasons as they put out there

Top Boy - London drug crime - quit after 3 episodes

started watching Vikings at long last - 3 episodes in - good so far

Did you stick with Vikings .. just finished the first series it is good., wondering how it's goes from there.
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

lurganblue

I have to say i enjoyed Westworld, the last few episodes in particular.  Some interesting characters that were well acted. Dolores was annoying as f**k.  The last episode has left me with quite a few questions though.

Obvioulsy there is more than just the wild west side of the park.  I can see the series possibly developing that way. 

themac_23

watched the first episode of 'captive' on Netflix last night about the prison riots in Lucasville in the early 90s. basically the series focuses on different hostage situations and how the events unfolded as told by those involved. great watch, the mrs who usually wouldn't be a fan of anything like that couldn't take her eyes off it, looking forward to the next one which is about the kidnapping of a coca cola plant manager in brazil, followed by one which i think will be the best, the samilian pirates

J70

I enjoyed Westworld too. Yes, it lagged a bit at times, but the pay-off at the end was great. Good performances as well from Anthony Hopkins and Jeffrey Wright, as you'd expect, while Evan Rachel Wood is nice and easy on the eye and a good actress too.

I'm not a very sophisticated or perceptive tv or movie viewer, so I didn't see the twists which were apparently predicted from very early on on Reddit and other such places.

Walking Dead looks like it will pick up the pace now that the scene is set and we've met all the various protangonists who will band together to fight Negan.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan seems to be enjoying hamming it up as Negan, but hopefully they'll add a bit more depth to the character than just the grinning, sadistic, megalomaniac schtick we've been seeing.

mrdeeds

Two Shades of Green is rubbish. No insight. Just a highlights show. Should have just concentrated on Republic and more in depth interviews, footage etc...

An Watcher

Have to say, I'm quite enjoying it although I'd have preferred if they just focused on the republic to get more in

laoislad

A few I've been watching over Xmas.

People of earth: A Sci fi comedy. Decent enough.
Shooter:Based on the movie of the same name. Very good.
The OA: Only just started it seems decent.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

Did anyone else stick with The Affair? I thought it drifted a lot in the 2nd series but all came together in the end with a brilliant finish. The 3rd series however hasn't produced a lot yet and I'm being to tire of it..

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Boycey on December 30, 2016, 03:33:44 PM
Did anyone else stick with The Affair? I thought it drifted a lot in the 2nd series but all came together in the end with a brilliant finish. The 3rd series however hasn't produced a lot yet and I'm being to tire of it..
Series 1 and 2 were great but have yet to start watching 3. Has it ran out of steam or building up to something? No spoilers please 😊

Captain Obvious

Twin Peaks is meant to return in May after a twenty plus year break. Bob is long dead who will play him in this series?

Boycey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 30, 2016, 03:48:47 PM
Quote from: Boycey on December 30, 2016, 03:33:44 PM
Series 1 and 2 were great but have yet to start watching 3. Has it ran out of steam or building up to something? No spoilers please 😊

I'm sure its building to something but 5 episodes in nothing really has happened so I'd be struggling to spoil it for you..