TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Narcos season 2 released today, a weekend of late nights beckons :-)

nrico2006

Quote from: mrdeeds on September 02, 2016, 12:07:10 PM
Watched first two episodes of Stranger Things. Rubbish. Reminds me of the movie Super 8 which wasn't as good as it was hyped.

I had the same feeling on Stranger Things, reminded me of Super 8 which as you say didn't live up to the hype.  Stranger Things doesn't either.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

square_ball

Anybody still watching suits? I think I'm going to bail out of the new season it's poor. Though might just keep watching for Donna!

lurganblue

Quote from: square_ball on September 02, 2016, 02:36:25 PM
Anybody still watching suits? I think I'm going to bail out of the new season it's poor. Though might just keep watching for Donna!

half way through season 5. still enjoying it tbh

square_ball

Quote from: lurganblue on September 02, 2016, 02:39:27 PM
Quote from: square_ball on September 02, 2016, 02:36:25 PM

half way through season 5. still enjoying it tbh

Yeah I loved up to season 5. Now I'm just watching for the sake up of it nearly.

Thinking of starting mad men. I'm very behind the times with these TV series.

bennydorano

Red Dwarf back for another series on Dave 22/9

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on September 02, 2016, 12:03:41 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 30, 2016, 03:03:51 AM
The Night Of concluded poignantly with a Ewan McColl song in the background about an enduring love and a cat traipsing along. It's very rare that a US adaption of a european series works better  but in this case I have to say this one beat the BBC's efforts hands down and the BBC one was very good. And all the better that  John Turturro replaced De Niro to act the scúmbag lawyer role and dominate the drama.
This one is a 9.756.

I enjoyed it and found out half way through it was an adaptation of a BBC series I watched back in the day with Pete Postlethwaite.

It ruined things a bit for me as I knew the ending and then was hoping the US version would take a different road but nonetheless it was an excellent show and as mentioned Turturro was superb in it!!
I didn't cop on until the last episode, that the Night of  was based on the BBC series., even then I had some (false) memory that the english kid was found guilty.
It wouldn't have mattered to me anyway as even though there were clear plot similarities, the US drama had a totally different feel about it........ from still to slow motion:)

JimStynes

Wasn't that impressed with the second half of 'The Night Of'. It felt a bit rushed and the ending was a bit shit. Turturro as the lawyer was excellent from start to finish though.
Of the shows that I am watching:
-Second series of Narcos has started well.
-Suits has been shit for the last number of seasons but I still catch up on it every now and then.
-Power is ok just but I am kind of getting bored with it and some of the characters are getting on my nerves.
-New season of Ray Donovan is decent enough.
-New season of Fear the walking dead is crap so far.
-New season of Ballers is much the same as the first, an easy watch.
-Vice Principals is ok just, not as funny as I had hoped and nowhere near as good as Eastbound and Down.

Definitely forgetting some there. Nothing to replace the likes of Gomorrah so far. Was going to start The West Wing but never got round to it and would rather wait until midterm break.

Anyone watched Secrets and lies?

The Bearded One

The Night Manager starts on RTE1 on Wednesday, short 4 or 5 part drama which is fairly gripping.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Rma13

Quote from: JimStynes on September 02, 2016, 09:35:43 PM
Wasn't that impressed with the second half of 'The Night Of'. It felt a bit rushed and the ending was a bit shit. Turturro as the lawyer was excellent from start to finish though.
-Suits has been shit for the last number of seasons but I still catch up on it every now and then.
-Power is ok just but I am kind of getting bored with it and some of the characters are getting on my nerves.
-Vice Principals is ok just, not as funny as I had hoped and nowhere near as good as Eastbound and Down.

Definitely forgetting some there. Nothing to replace the likes of Gomorrah so far. Was going to start The West Wing but never got round to it and would rather wait until midterm break.

Yes I watched Secrets & Lies. I enjoyed it but would have preferred if it had been 1 series with everything tied up & left at that, will probably still watch the 2nd series though.  It might not be gritty enough for you though, it's definitely no Gomorrah.

Esmarelda

Quote from: The Bearded One on September 03, 2016, 12:35:39 AM
The Night Manager starts on RTE1 on Wednesday, short 4 or 5 part drama which is fairly gripping.
This one seems to have received pretty good reviews. Will give it a look, thanks.

bennydorano

Started The Night Of last night and gorged on 5 episodes. Very good viewing. Pretty sure I watched the BBC original (Criminal Justice i think) and I know rightly I'm going to remember how it panned out before I get to the end of it.

The opening episode of the new series of Cold Feet was pretty good.

JimStynes

Quote from: Rma13 on September 07, 2016, 03:47:00 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on September 02, 2016, 09:35:43 PM

Yes I watched Secrets & Lies. I enjoyed it but would have preferred if it had been 1 series with everything tied up & left at that, will probably still watch the 2nd series though.  It might not be gritty enough for you though, it's definitely no Gomorrah.

Watched it there and sort of gave up after episode 6 or so and then just watched the last one to see happened. It was a decent enough watch I suppose and I just lost patience with it a bit.

JimStynes

Also thinking of binning suits. It is shit. Same thing over and over.

trileacman

Tried starting Narcos there, f**k it's very disappointing. The exposition is just mind-numbing and the central acting is very poor, especially among the DEA agents.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014